Search

New MacBook Pros (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nkedel
That's an inconvenience, although it's pretty darn easy to use a very cheap USB one. They did kind of jump the gun on going all USB-C, but the adapters are passive and pretty cheap, and by doing so all at once it does kind of force the market to catch up.
We do a lot of photography for the golf course, either with clubs for sale or general photos. The SD reader gets used a lot. There are no drivers to worry about, no hoping you have a cable, no worries for batteries. Some cameras still use proprietary cables, or even Mini USB cables. The ease of just grabbing the SD card and a laptop is gone, and heaven forbid someone is on vacation and forgets their adapter.

The golfer is due for a laptop replacement in February. His MBP 15'' (non retina) is starting to have some issues. We may be accelerating that search. He hates Windows, but hates having to carry cables and adaptors. He's down to two cables. One to charge his laptop, and one to charge his phone, camera, hotspot; transfer photos from the camera.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
I'm really hem-hawing on pulling the trigger on a 13" MBP with Touchbar, 16GB of ram.

It would be $1879 + tax with my EDU discount. If I recall correctly I paid $1400 for my MBA. If I keep this MBP for at least 4 years thats less than $500 a year for something I use for 5-8 hours per day. I think its not too bad when you justify it that way. Yes they are pricey but they also last

I currently use a 2012 13" Macbook Air which has a bad battery now so it only lasts about 3 of the 10 hours it should.

I can change my USB cables to USB C > USB B for my devices and not have to buy/carry any dongles so thats not a big deal.

I'm kinda happy they went to USB C, as this is the future for both Mac and PCs.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Actually, looks like the SSD on the new MBPs is removable after all?

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/...removable-ssd/
For the model without the TouchPad, so it seems.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
it feels like none of the product teams at Apple ever meet up and compare notes.

Given how long it takes to actually design and bring these things to market - the switch to USB-C was made a long time ago yet they didn't seem to line up the iPhone cables to work directly with that.

Why even persist with the lightning port when they could've said "we're going USB-C across the board, welcome to the future", it gives the benefit of lightning with the only downside being they can't sell those "MFI certified" lightning chips and license fees.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by quick_dry
it feels like none of the product teams at Apple ever meet up and compare notes.

Given how long it takes to actually design and bring these things to market - the switch to USB-C was made a long time ago yet they didn't seem to line up the iPhone cables to work directly with that.

Why even persist with the lightning port when they could've said "we're going USB-C across the board, welcome to the future", it gives the benefit of lightning with the only downside being they can't sell those "MFI certified" lightning chips and license fees.
Completely agree.

Who would have thought at any point in time that the latest iPhone would not directly plug into your Macbook Pro without buying a cable or using a, gasp, adapter?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mvtm
I'm on a 2012 11" MBA with 1,800 cycles it is perfectly fine as the day i picked it up but i think i will pick one of the newer ones that launched today. Not sure which one,we'll see. But yep, i'm thinking about upgrading. Have been waiting this time since about 2 years ago but still we'll think about it as this machine works perfectly fine and meets my needs, upgrading would be just spoiling myself for the sake of it.
I agree. I have a mid 2013 MBA that is working quite fine thank you. See no reason to upgrade at any time. Everything works as it's supposed to and is fast. And I like the magsafe charger and USB ports, thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:33 pm

Through Nov 10th Microsoft is offering MacBook owners $650 toward a Surface Pro or Surface Book, if they trade in their Apple laptop.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:27 pm

I used to have a Lenovo X1 Carbon for work that had a touch bar in lieu of Fn keys. I hated that stupid touch bar more than anything, especially since my computer didn't have a num pad on it. While the new MBP's touch bar looks a bit more refined, I don't think I'll be going for it anytime soon.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
- iPhone 7 out last month was not able to be charged directly to the new mbp without a dongle.

- iPhone 7 abandoned the headphone jack and expect the user to adapt to lightning connector or wireless, however the new mbp kept the headphone jack but provide no lightning connector.

What a mess.
Why can't you just connect iPhone 7 with a Lighting/USB cable?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Why can't you just connect iPhone 7 with a Lighting/USB cable?
Where would you stick the USB end of the cable? The MBP has no standard USB port.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Where would you stick the USB end of the cable? The MBP has no standard USB port.
It has USB type-C. Use this cable: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK...ning-cable-1-m
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Still - if I were to buy Apple's latest and greatest, they would not talk to each other or charge the phone without buying an extra cable. How cool is that?

Also - my usb sticks, my external drives, my external DAC, my non-Apple audio player (etc, etc) are all connecting to a USB port. So hey, I'd need to purchase EVEN MORE cables - USB micro to USB-C, USB mini to USB-C, Sony-WM to USB-C...
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Of course Apple has a cable!

Everything is wireless so no need. Except when your iPhone locks up and you need to use iTunes to restore.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Of course Apple has a cable!

Everything is wireless so no need. Except when your iPhone locks up and you need to use iTunes to restore.
You can't charge wirelessly. And sometimes, often for some of us, the Mac Book is the only source of local power. So you really need to be able to charge your phone on the Mac Book. And another reason is the use the Personal Hotspot via USB. Sometimes it is either not an option via WiFi or you may simply desire the security of USB over WiFi.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
You can't charge wirelessly. And sometimes, often for some of us, the Mac Book is the only source of local power. So you really need to be able to charge your phone on the Mac Book. And another reason is the use the Personal Hotspot via USB. Sometimes it is either not an option via WiFi or you may simply desire the security of USB over WiFi.
My comment was extremely sarcastic. It needs a regular USB as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.