Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New Gadget: Unlimited 4G Worldwide

New Gadget: Unlimited 4G Worldwide

Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Decent idea - but it already exists... I just switched to Google Fi. They offer non-capped speeds in over 130 countries and you pay $10 per 1GB of data (not per day - just pay for what you use). Much better way to go imo.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:35 am

Didn't know I would be needing it until I needed it. My phone has unlimited nontetherable data and on paper I had data at this spot. I also had coverage on my work, but the person didn't want to touch this issue because it was complicated.

My point is that that these devices have a purpose as a fallback/filler when you don't hit the ground knowing you'll need the data, as a bridge until you can get things setup, or when you've got very short stops in places.

All my other stops in Australia had great wifi. I actually only needed it that one day.

Originally Posted by Ditto
I think you missedm my point, I'm not saying you should rely on free wifi for critical needs, but for the price of less than 2 days with your mobile hotspot, you could have had free internet for a month as well as some call minutes to local numbers:
http://www.vodafone.com.au/prepaid/p...ter-pack/combo

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Oct 30, 2016 at 7:51 am
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Decent idea - but it already exists... I just switched to Google Fi.
If you are in the USA. Otherwise... good luck getting it.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by cboy
Yea I've heard that before as well, This is my 1st time funding one of these types of things. I'm hoping that because they have 2 other of these types of products already on the market that they should be able to do this 3rd generation no problems. I HOPE!
don't get your hopes up...

what's the point of this? it's not a new/creative idea, or new hardware..
only thing new = more roaming agreements... which doesn't exactly need a lot of startup capital (more of negotiations/relationship building). company incurs costs as users get onboarded onto it, so there's reason to join later when everything's finalized (unless they decide $10/day = early starter price, $20/day for later)

i give this a 30% chance of success... most likely, they'll revise the "unlimited" terms and/or charge more

Is the $9.99 per-day price, likely to get raised in the future?
No! We will never charge more than $9.99 for a 24 hour GeePass. Furthermore, we are actually hoping to eventually lower the 24 hour price-tag to be even less than $10.

We are looking into introducing hourly, 12-hour, and weekly passes, but for now, only day-passes are available.
either they keep their promise/hopes (means you can join later... why back this right now?), or they'll change their promise/hopes (in which case, why back this right now? they might change other stuff as well)

(my whole point is: don't think that you're buying a product on amazon... you're buying a product plus risk that you won't get your money back, or risk that it's delayed for months/years)

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 30, 2016 at 6:15 pm
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
don't get your hopes up...
i give this a 30% chance of success... most likely, they'll revise the "unlimited" terms and/or charge more
(my whole point is: don't think that you're buying a product on amazon... you're buying a product plus risk that you won't get your money back, or risk that it's delayed for months/years)
cboy funded the GlocalMe U2, not the GeeFi. The U2 is just an update to GlocalMe's existing G2 4G hotspot (no display, smaller size/battery). So the risk should be pretty low. The network is already in place.

I funded the GlocalMe G2 on KickStarter. I got a great price on the device plus data plan, but I did have to deal with delays and a pretty poor communications from the company. Overall, I'm satisfied with the product and my experience.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:31 pm

And I have funded the U2 too. It might not be a new idea but I have never seen a global SIM where you buy a bucket of reasonably priced data and that's it for a year. Most of the global SIMs make you pay for global data either eye watering amounts or daily/weekly. One gigabyte for the purposes needed is plenty for me for an entire year: navigation, email, translation.

A local SIM is a wonderful concept ... except it might not be available at the airport -- I looked up which SIM to buy at Ben Gurion and the post office was out of those so I ended up with a much more expensive one and then you need to hassle with changing SIMs at the airport (and not lose your home SIM!). Because the very moment I found the need to be connected to be the highest is when I land. Call the hotel for the shuttle? Look up bus schedules? Translate the name of the odd looking sandwich? These are just a few of the examples when you need data right there and working. And maybe there's wifi in the terminal but it either works or it doesn't but also maybe there's no wifi out in the bus stop. I have learned my lessons and will welcome this thing with open arms.

Last edited by chx1975; Oct 31, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
These services are a great backup for those events that you didn't plan for? If you are checking into a hotel that is charging 30 euros a day for internet and you are going to be there for two weeks, go buy a local SIM card. What you need to watch out for is short expiries on these services.
That's what I do when on holiday in the Canaries, where hotel WiFi is pretty much universally awful (well either that or I've been unlucky). Some parts of Africa, also, but data can be expensive in Africa. I've found a local SIM plus iPhone* to be the most reliable option.

* Wouldn't trust Android unless its on a decent, brand name device (my original Nexus 5 is also reliable). I've had cheaper Android devices simply fail to connect to a 3G or LTE network for no apparent reason.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
just got my GlocalMe U2 that I funded. It boots up and connects in the US at my house, I got 5Mbit down and slightly less than 1 up

I'm going to be using it in Mexico City next month as my 1st international trip with it. Hopefully it works well ^
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:36 pm

Wonder how this compares to Skyroam.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by cboy
just got my GlocalMe U2 that I funded. It boots up and connects in the US at my house, I got 5Mbit down and slightly less than 1 up

I'm going to be using it in Mexico City next month as my 1st international trip with it. Hopefully it works well ^
Please provide an update on how it worked on your return. I am interested in the product.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
"GeeFi - Unlimited 4G Wi-Fi Everywhere You Travel" is under review by the Trust & Safety team.
Check back later or contact us if you have concerns.
From the indiegogo page. This doesn't look good.
HockeyCoachBen likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:32 am

GeeFi might not be real but the GlocalMe U2 just landed in the post for me as well. It'll be a while before I can report experiences in Europe, though.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:16 am

Red face

Any useage (field reports) on either the Glocame U2 or Google Fi?

I need to order something soon for upcoming several international trips.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:36 am

I purchased a Skyroam Soltis in part based on the assurance that there was an internal SIM card for my usage which there was, but it does not seem to be active. I was looking for something where I could use the same hotspot on Day 1 or 2 with them but if I needed a day five or six run out and get a prepaid SIM card.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Another 'unlimited' buzzword which is used with pleasure by telco marketeers.

I still don't understand why 4G is so expensive compared to DSL / cable / fiber after almost 20 years of mobile internet. The only difference is a wireless connection between the cell phone tower of at most a few km away and your device. The tower is similarly (wired) connected to trunks / interchanges of the internet as cable / DSL / fiber.
It is more or less wifi over a much longer range.
Moreover in most places wifi is readily available, so I barely use 4G. In another country I buy a simcard (easily available at airports like JNB / CPT / AKL / SYD) and in rare occations I use their 4G.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.