Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I Used My RFID Implant In My Hand As A Room Key, Hotel Staff Proceeded To Freak Out.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Used My RFID Implant In My Hand As A Room Key, Hotel Staff Proceeded To Freak Out.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Lifetime PE, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
This not that unusual, RFID ID implants are being already trialled in Europe..

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ees-hands.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31042477
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Well if we can chip dogs for years, I guess OP just figured a way to cross species!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Talking RFID

Do you all think this is waht Putin did to Trump ?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I'm confused about the purpose of the OP. Given you didn't quite know where to post it, I'm not alone.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by JackE
I'm confused about the purpose of the OP. Given you didn't quite know where to post it, I'm not alone.
Guerrilla Marketing ?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Kudos to the OP for sticking with this and making it a chill conversation.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:25 am

Quite.

Personally I'd be quite happy with an app that allows an NFC capable phone to work as a room key. Should be trivial since those mifare cards are not complicated.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:25 am

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
Gives a new meaning to "handshake security".
I hope OP is using the off-hand for the hotel key. I can just see some hacker putting in an RFID reader into his hand, or having one in a smart watch...
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:32 am

Now I want one, mostly for the wow-effect. Used to carry around master keys for a property I frequented, in case my room key didn't work.
If only NFC programming was possible on iOS.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
An interesting discussion. I was involved in contactless smartcard technology for 18 years and worked on many of the world's smartcard transit systems. Firstly, the passive approach used by hotels and other door access systems is NOT a good secure system and is easy to clone - it's only marginally more secure than mag stripe cards. There are reports of door access systems being cloned by folks standing a few metres away from the card user. Secondly, the security used by most contactless transit systems is a lot more secure and uses a three-pass authentication system which involves "secrets" embedded in the card and reader, or a secure element in the reader. Also the card chips now used in most modern transit system have higher security (I'm not including the Mifare 1 card here.) Thirdly, the use of accounting databases in the backend system to detect card fraud is only marginally successful and easily defeated by using fraudulent cards with rolling serial numbers/UIDs.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:47 pm
GK8

Programs: Most of 'em
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:27 am

For extra publicity, your dude in a garage should change his company name to 666...
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Oh, this is GREAT. Another instance of how technology is leaps and bounds ahead of mainstream life. Reminds me of 'apps' that will turn on your furnace just before you get home. There's no reason for this, it's just fun.

One of these days people are going to wake up to realize that their lives are totally controlled by a third party. By then, of course, it will be too late to do anything about it. So hope for a benign third party to take over YOUR life.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Talking Tinfoil gloves next?

This is bizarre but since we are doing it to animals it is entirely possible. I just wouldn't want a foreign object in one of my hands. Sure in my neck or earlobe but just not the hands. They are to important to mess up with a chip. I do love the wonderful wacky world of FT.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:25 am
HMO

Originally Posted by ijkh
This is bizarre but since we are doing it to animals it is entirely possible. I just wouldn't want a foreign object in one of my hands. Sure in my neck or earlobe but just not the hands. They are to important to mess up with a chip. I do love the wonderful wacky world of FT.
I hope outside or transposing (the earlobe), not inside

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.