Reload this Page >

Websites that "double load." Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:08 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I'm sure there is a more correct terminology, but increasingly I find that some websites "double load." E.g., when I go to AA.com or Hertz.com the site comes up and then 2 seconds later the whole site reloads (and if you've already started typing something on the site, it's gone).

Is this a feature and not a bug? Why? Or is it somehow related to my own browser configuration?

A mild curiosity....
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I have the same problem with one of my brokerage accounts. I used to start typing my id, tab, password, only to look up and see my password going into the id box in clear text. I've learned to wait until it reloads. It only happens on one browser, so I assume it's a configuration/add-on/etc. issue.

I don't see it on aa.com
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:49 am

Heh you sure you were not being redirected to a different site? Have you tried clearing your cookies for that site? For the longest time, my paypal will default to Chinese. It happened ever since I visited Paypal in Hong Kong on my laptop. I guess the cookie remembers it and wouldn't let it go. I clear all cookies with the word "paypal" in it and everything was fine after that. I think it does do some kind of double loading.. like redirecting me to the Hong Kong server or something.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Need
Heh you sure you were not being redirected to a different site? Have you tried clearing your cookies for that site?
1. Yes
2. No, but I will.

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: AA
I've seen this in many different manifestations and I think it might be the work of poor programming. Often there will be an initial load where it delivers the full content (as you see), but whatever framework they're using doesn't know or set the flag that the content was already loaded, so it triggers the framework to load all the content again via ajax. It's usually the result of outsourcing to the lowest bidder, sorry to say
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I think a lot comes down to the limitless impatience of web surfers, especially on mobile. Back in the day, web pages were less dynamic, and a browser would load all the code, figure out how it was going to lay out, and draw it. But studies have shown again and again that people will wait for a website that twitches for five seconds while it loads, whereas they won't wait for a website that is blank for three seconds (actual figures vary by study, but it really is about the first three seconds, especially on mobile devices).

Nowadays, the browser starts drawing the page just as soon as it gets the tiniest scrap of layout information. The website supplies the tiniest scrap of layout information first, then spits out sidebars, forms, and so forth. This results in a lot of redraws and repaints and other adjustments, especially on older devices. Facebook was a big leader in this; Google for "Facebook BigPipe."

Second, also in the interest of increasing perceived speed, they're backloading a lot of scripts. If you look at the source of the AA.com homepage, a huge percentage of it is actually scripts that read and send data to Tealium, Google Analytics, and OpenX, the last of which then loads ads. Sometimes, the scripts directly trigger a refresh of the page, either to submit values or to retrieve them, though that's rather primitive. Even if you're doing it in the background, though, loading third party code could also trigger a redraw depending on its dimensions and so forth.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've started seeing that more often since I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Sierra. I'm not sure why, to be honest, but at least it's nowhere near every website.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
CIBC does this too. According to Devtools it's some Adobe Market Targeting crap which initiates the jarring redirect.

Bigpipe style adjusting is not what we are talking about, that doesn't lose the typed in info. It's a full-page redirect.

Last edited by chx1975; Oct 15, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by choster
...Second, also in the interest of increasing perceived speed, they're backloading a lot of scripts. If you look at the source of the AA.com homepage, a huge percentage of it is actually scripts that read and send data to Tealium, Google Analytics, and OpenX, the last of which then loads ads. Sometimes, the scripts directly trigger a refresh of the page, either to submit values or to retrieve them, though that's rather primitive. Even if you're doing it in the background, though, loading third party code could also trigger a redraw depending on its dimensions and so forth.
And for those users with various types of ad reduction applications, the blocking of any of that Tealium / GA / OpenX will interfere with the values that the merchant site expects, so it signals a reload.

Last edited by Wilbur; Oct 17, 2016 at 9:21 am Reason: FT doesn't allow me to use the word "ad-bloc"
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by choster
Second, also in the interest of increasing perceived speed, they're backloading a lot of scripts. If you look at the source of the AA.com homepage, a huge percentage of it is actually scripts that read and send data to Tealium, Google Analytics, and OpenX, the last of which then loads ads. Sometimes, the scripts directly trigger a refresh of the page, either to submit values or to retrieve them, though that's rather primitive. Even if you're doing it in the background, though, loading third party code could also trigger a redraw depending on its dimensions and so forth.
I've always thought it was the opposite. When 3rd party JS gets blocked, it messes with the site's calls/timing.

I block third party JS by default, and I still get this behavior on some pages. The DL site used to do this (but then they changed the login screen). Marriott seems to redraw the login after I have lastpass put my info in (so I have to do it again). I've seen various other sites do this as well.

Minor annoyance, but you would think they'd catch that stuff in test.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:01 pm

Never happened to me with hertz.com, I don't use aa.com.
Either way, I wouldn't call that a feature...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
sometimes the http S framework is the last thing to load. I only find this with sites that have logins and are using ultimately https://

sometimes there is a 2nd level of certificate validation that occurs.. so the site couldn't be hijacked with an old or malicious cert
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'm sure there is a more correct terminology, but increasingly I find that some websites "double load." E.g., when I go to AA.com or Hertz.com the site comes up and then 2 seconds later the whole site reloads (and if you've already started typing something on the site, it's gone).

Is this a feature and not a bug? Why? Or is it somehow related to my own browser configuration?

A mild curiosity....
Here is a good tip if you are using Google Chrome for iOS/Android/Desktop

Access chrome://flags in the address bar, search with Ctrl+F for "Scroll Anchoring" (without quotes) and Enable it.

Scroll Anchoring Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
Adjusts scroll position to prevent visible jumps when offscreen content changes. #enable-scroll-anchoring
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:35 am

I whitelisted AA.com on my ad blocker and the double loading went away, although I'm not sure if that was really the cure.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:44 pm

I have loaded both sites but I see no problem with that. Great point, @choster. He's right how websites were downloaded. Usually, styles are loaded first before the content. With regards to the problem, there might be some errors on the browser. I always clear the browser history after hours of heavy browsing and I always keep the settings in standard. I'm also not fond of injecting browser extensions. I have the same experience before, until I keep my settings on default which solved the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.