Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

VGA versus HDMI: Any important difference for non-gamer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:34 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I've always used a VGA cable to connect my laptop to my external monitor.

New laptop has an HDMI connection option.

Is there any reason to make the switch? I'm happy with the monitor's performance on the VGA cable.

I don't do anything like gaming that I assuming requires a really fast monitor and first-quality cables.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:12 am

If your laptop and monitor both got hdmi, you could try it and see if you could see any difference. My work computer got both. I don't see any difference. Eventually you will have to switch to hdmi as newer computer won't have any other type of output anyway. Oh and I guess if your monitor has speaker, you get sound too from the hdmi and not from the VGA..
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If you're happy with it, there's no reason to switch. Unless you want to see if you'll be happier. VGA is an analog signal, while HDMI (and DVI, and DisplayPort, and Thunderbolt) are all digital signals. So in theory they will provide a cleaner picture, less susceptible to EMI, etc. Whether you can see a difference depends on your monitor quality and the sensitivity of your eyes/brain/etc.

There are some other factors - your monitor accepting the resolution of the cable format, trying to send audio to speakers build into some monitors, etc.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see a difference between the two when I compare them side by side. Digital is crisper.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:40 am

if you watch stuff over iTunes, it may refuse to play on VGA monitors, need digital HDMI with HDCP encryption

(possibly apply for other video streaming services)

(on top of what people say above... there's a noticeable different for analog VGA vs digital HDMI/DVI/DP for me)
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Dirt
Go ahead and try HDMI if your equipment got it.

HDMI signal is digital so all dots are exactly they appear. HDMI carries both video and audio signals over a single cable. If your monitor has speakers built-in you can use just one cable to transmit both signals.

HDMI is ubiquitous enough that almost all devices made in the last 5 years have it. VGA is slowly being dropped from new monitors, TVs, display cards, etc.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I don't do anything like gaming that I assuming requires a really fast monitor and first-quality cables.
Don't pay for overpriced HDMI cables. As long as the cable meets the high speed HDMI spec they are as good as you can get.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HDMI isn't particularly about gamers, it's about a crisper picture. Gamers tend to go for high resolution, high refresh screens which make the difference even greater, but it's the screen that matters, not what's on it.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:47 pm

digital (dvi, hdmi, displayport) is definitely sharper to my eyes, especially on text, on any lcd above say 19".
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by msb0b

Don't pay for overpriced HDMI cables. As long as the cable meets the high speed HDMI spec they are as good as you can get.
True, but HDMI cables wear out fast if you are connecting and reconnecting all of the time.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If your monitor has built in speakers you won't need a separate cable if you HDMI. That's one of the bigger benefits.

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
True, but HDMI cables wear out fast if you are connecting and reconnecting all of the time.
Amazon has their Basics brand at a reasonable price. There's no need to purchase an overly expensive cable. I've had cables just stop working and there's been no plugging or unplugging.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by WIRunner
If your monitor has built in speakers you won't need a separate cable if you HDMI. That's one of the bigger benefits.

Amazon has their Basics brand at a reasonable price. There's no need to purchase an overly expensive cable. I've had cables just stop working and there's been no plugging or unplugging.
If you have a Fry's nearby, try them first; also, Big Lots usually has HDMI cables for $1.50-$2 a foot. Otherwise, I agree, Amazon or monoprice.com for online.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My thanks to all. I did not know HDMI carried audio.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Amazon has their Basics brand at a reasonable price. There's no need to purchase an overly expensive cable.

^^^
Inexpensive and excellent quality. No need to buy overpriced Monster or other name brands.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My work PC is connected to two identical monitors, one via VGA and one via DVI, and I can tell any difference between the two for everyday business use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.