Search

Google Pixel Phones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Google Pixel Phones

Phones from Google at iPhone and Samsung Galaxy prices, starting at $649.

They tout better cameras than iPhone, though no word on whether they have OIS like iPhone 7.

They tout a new AI assistant, called Google Assistant, which is exclusive as of now to these Pixel phones. Not clear how Google Assistant is different from Google Now.

These are similar to HTC phones.

They also announced a VR thing in which you can slot it these phones for $79.

Apparently Nexus didn't sell well despite having top components for lower prices. So Google seems done with playing the low-price game.

Hey, it worked for Apple to charge premium prices ...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wco81
Phones from Google at iPhone and Samsung Galaxy prices, starting at $649.

They tout better cameras than iPhone, though no word on whether they have OIS like iPhone 7.

They tout a new AI assistant, called Google Assistant, which is exclusive as of now to these Pixel phones. Not clear how Google Assistant is different from Google Now.

These are similar to HTC phones.

They also announced a VR thing in which you can slot it these phones for $79.

Apparently Nexus didn't sell well despite having top components for lower prices. So Google seems done with playing the low-price game.

Hey, it worked for Apple to charge premium prices ...
They are HTC phones...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They are about $200 too much.

And ever since they got rid of wireless charging, Nexus/Pixel has been dead to me.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:03 am
Suspended

Google Pixel Phone Feature are awesome :
1.Display
5.00-inch

2.Processor
1.6GHz

3.Front Camera
8-megapixel

4. Resolution
1080x1920 pixels

5.RAM
4GB

6.OS
Android 7.1

7.Storage
32GB

8.Rear Camera
12.3-megapixel

9.Battery capacity
2770mAh
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Frankly, I'm glad I jumped on the Note 7 (Now With Fewer Explosions! ).
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:44 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just put in my order for a Pixel XL I think it was worth the wait. Although this current Nexus 6 user is a little sad that its not quite as big as I would like.

Then in December my AT&T contract is up so I can dump them as well. I shutter to think how much I spend in international data...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:03 am

AMOLED? No thanks.

$650? No way.

At least I have a few years left with the N5x before I have to find something else. Maybe by then Lenovo will "make Motorola great again" by keeping up with updates like Google did when they owned Motorola.

Originally Posted by wco81
One of the reasons Nexus didn't sell well is that most Americans still buy phones from their carriers, even now that we've mostly shifted to paying for the phone in installments vs. baking it into the price of the service. I don't know that there's any real data out there, but I would bet that a huge majority of phones over $150-200 are paid in installments to carriers. The 6 and 6P weren't widely available through the carriers, and AFAIK the 5X wasn't available from carriers at all.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:39 am

I do not know how Google says their cameras are better than the iPhone. Iphones consistently have better performing cameras with lower specifications.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I do not know how Google says their cameras are better than the iPhone. Iphones consistently have better performing cameras with lower specifications.
In the case of previous Nexus devices that was true, but at least one reviewer has placed the Pixel cameras above the iPhone 7.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
AMOLED? No thanks.
Out of curiosity, what is your beef with AMOLED? In my experience it's the best display technology there is.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
AMOLED? No thanks.
Why? Just curious.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
In the case of previous Nexus devices that was true, but at least one reviewer has placed the Pixel cameras above the iPhone 7.
Which reviewer? DxO doesn't count. And it also depends on whether or not you are looking at the camera quality on the phone or on a computer screen.

But in looking at the specs the Pixel camera doesn't have OIS. I don't see how they can think it is better. This whole "ultrapixel" thing HTC did a while back wasn't any good. In fact, if you look at all the great cameras on phones they are all super-high resolution, not low (Nokia's PureView 808, to Lumia 1020)
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:58 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Just put in my order for a Pixel XL I think it was worth the wait. Although this current Nexus 6 user is a little sad that its not quite as big as I would like.

Then in December my AT&T contract is up so I can dump them as well. I shutter to think how much I spend in international data...
Given that I'm walking around with a phone that has an unusable USB port and a shattered screen, it's probably no surprise that I ordered one (Pixel, 32GB, Silver) within minutes of the site going live. Personally, I'll be happy to have people stop teasing me about the size of my Nexus 6, though I did pause for a moment to consider the Pixel XL and it's slightly smaller (compared to the Nexus 6) size.

Mr. CE -- a die-hard iPhone user -- is bummed I didn't order the blue one, which is apparently sold out.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Out of curiosity, what is your beef with AMOLED? In my experience it's the best display technology there is.
Originally Posted by PTravel
Why? Just curious.
AMOLED displays have gotten better, but they're still oversaturated (looking at you, Samsung), so the colors aren't accurate. That's one thing LG/Google actually got right on the 5X--except for the defective ones, the colors were really accurate on its IPS panel. Apple has stuck to IPS displays for the same reason. Active display and battery-saving tricks unique to AMOLED are cool, but it's more important to me to have correct color reproduction.

My main beef is that a lot of them are STILL hard to read in direct sunlight, which is a dealbreaker for a guy who spends a lot of time in farm fields and vineyards at work and on trails on the weekends. My iPhone 3G was easy to read even with the sun at my back in the desert, so it's not like daytime legibility is a new technology.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I was very underwhelmed by the Pixel hardware announcement. The price being the same as an iPhone also didn't help.

Currently I'm on a Nexus 6P. I've now got orders in for a Pixel XL and an iPhone 7Plus. I need to decide before they ship which one I want. The only thing holding me up is my love for Project FI (which I've been able to make work just fine with my wife's old iPhone 6sPlus).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.