Reload this Page >

Google Pixel Phones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Pixel Phones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
NYT didn't like it - but the WSJ did: http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-p...for-1476795541

Cnet liked it a lot (8.8 out of 10): https://www.cnet.com/products/google...-phone-review/

From Cnet:
"THE GOOD The Google Pixel has a fantastic camera, especially in low light. It's elegantly designed. Google Assistant takes one of the most natural, human approaches to answering your voice.

THE BAD The phone's display is dim in outdoor sunlight and its camera's Lens Blur feature is shoddy. It's splash-resistant rather than dunkable, and it's pricey compared to previous Google Nexus devices.

THE BOTTOM LINE If you're wary of Samsung or looking for a worthy iPhone alternative, the Google Pixel is the high-end Android phone to get."

And Engadget gave it 86 out of 100. https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/18/...xel-xl-review/

Almost all said the camera was excellent. In fact an independent third party (dxo Mark) gave it the highest rated mobile camera rating of any mobile phone they've ever tested: https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Pixe...iew-At-the-top

Can't wait to start using it!

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Oct 19, 2016 at 9:10 am
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by TWA884
In The New York Times:
That was one of two negative reviews yesterday, the other being Gizmodo, in a flood of really positive ones.

Ironically the other negative one also talked about Assistant as a negative compared to the iPhone, despite acknowledging that Assistant is still better than Siri.

They also all universally praise the camera as either as good as or better than the iPhone 7 camera, though perhaps a smidge behind the 7+, depending on how you account for the 7+ second telephoto lens.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Does it have OIS?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wco81
Does it have OIS?
It does not.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
I ordered both the black and silver Pixel 128GBs. Both say estimated ship date is October 26-28.

Edit:
Just received an email of shipment. Showing Friday as arrival.

Last edited by buck3y3nut; Oct 19, 2016 at 4:32 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My phone is showing as shipped. Just got an email.

Showing a Friday estimate for arrival. I didn't pay for priority shipping.

Last edited by Long Train Runnin; Oct 19, 2016 at 4:23 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
My phone is showing as shipped. Just got an email.

Showing a Friday estimate for arrival. I didn't pay for priority shipping.
I did pay for priority shipping and mine is showing Friday as well
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:54 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
OK, now I'm annoyed to see that several of you received shipping notification yesterday. At some point since yesterday afternoon, my status changed from pending to processing. I literally ordered within the first 20 minutes it was on sale. And it's ridiculous that I could walk into a store and buy one today. If you're going to announce that a phone is being released on Oct. 20, you should be able to get it to the people on the 20th if they ordered it 16 days prior.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I just received the following offer from Verizon:
Trade in any smartphone and get up to $300 when you buy Pixel, a phone by Google.

<snip>

Eligible phones for trade-in value:

$300 – HTC One M9, iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, LG G4 or V10, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ or Note5

$200 – any smartphone with a market value of $1 or greater
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
My XL order was placed at 10:50 on the day of the announcement.

I was just notified my device is shipping - looks like the label has been created, but has not been received by Fed Ex. Arrival date is still showing as 10/26-10/28. I'm hoping I get it sooner than that.

I was also hoping Google would have their cases ready but the black one I want is still showing 'coming soon', so I ordered a clear Speck hybrid so I'd at least have a case when the phone arrives.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:48 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
OK, now I'm annoyed to see that several of you received shipping notification yesterday. At some point since yesterday afternoon, my status changed from pending to processing. I literally ordered within the first 20 minutes it was on sale. And it's ridiculous that I could walk into a store and buy one today. If you're going to announce that a phone is being released on Oct. 20, you should be able to get it to the people on the 20th if they ordered it 16 days prior.
Originally Posted by work2fly

I was just notified my device is shipping - looks like the label has been created, but has not been received by Fed Ex. Arrival date is still showing as 10/26-10/28. I'm hoping I get it sooner than that.

I was also hoping Google would have their cases ready but the black one I want is still showing 'coming soon', so I ordered a clear Speck hybrid so I'd at least have a case when the phone arrives.
OK, I'll (partially) eat my words. Just got notification that my order was shipped (though Fedex only says the label has been created). It's coming from 35 miles away and so despite going out Fedex Ground should be here by the end of the day tomorrow. Of course, I'm throwing a dinner party for 9 people tomorrow, so it's possible the package may sit on the counter taunting me until Saturday morning.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TWA884
I just received the following offer from Verizon:
So if you have the $300 offer, your best bet is likely to sell it on your own, buy a cheap prepaid smartphone from Target or Walmart and use that for the $200. Sounds like a solid way to get the Pixel for nearly free.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I ordered mine on the 5th....so you should have had yours ship first. Although if its any consolation mine shows it shipped from Chicago, so it shouldn't take to long for yours to arrive. Also my delivery slipped from Friday to Monday.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by work2fly

My shipping was updated to Monday/Tuesday arrival (Oct 24/25). Ordered with 2 day shipping. Not sure why they give this two day window - they should know exactly what day it would deliver with 2 day shipping
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I ordered mine on the 5th....so you should have had yours ship first. Although if its any consolation mine shows it shipped from Chicago, so it shouldn't take to long for yours to arrive. Also my delivery slipped from Friday to Monday.
Well another update...FedEx says its sitting on my porch. Since I am a few thousand miles away a friend is stopping by later to put it in my house. Pretty excited its here just going to be a long 8 days waiting to finally get my hands on it. My nexus 6 isn't what it used to be my battery is down to around 1:20 screen time before it dies. The Pixel will be a welcome addition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.