Flexiroam X
Telestial
Print Wikipost

Pan-International prepaid SIMs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by theworld
Yeah agree. I guess the idea is that you don't have to faff around swapping out sim cards when you travel, similar to Knowroaming. The issue then is to make sure the app actually works.

One option would be just to put the sim sticker on a random sim card and continue to swap it out when you travel.
I thought of that, but I realized it gives one the disadvantages of both approaches. You're swapping SIMs, and you're dependant on the app.

It does protect you from messing up your primary SIM, but it will be easy to stop in an AT&T store for a new SIM if necessary.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:14 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Unhappy Can't Top-up My Piranha Mobile SIM

Trying to top up my Piranha Mobile SIM card via the website. They use an annoying credit card processor, which has caused me problems in the past. Now I'm unable to top up my SIM using the same card I've used before, getting an error:

Your Payment Was Not Successful

Your card payment was not successful and failed with the following message:

Card declined. Address check failed.

Please try your payment again.
Looking back at invoices from my previous successful top-ups (online order info, not the PDF download), they both say at the bottom:

Transaction authorised - AuthCode: ###### || CrossReference: ######################## || Address Check: FAILED || Postcode Check: PASSED || CV2 Check: PASSED || 3DS Check: PASSED
So, seems that this Address Check business has been a problem all along but has not blocked my transactions til now. Any advice?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Does Piranha take PayPal? If so, you should be able to use that payment method even if you don't have a PayPal account.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:16 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Does Piranha take PayPal? If so, you should be able to use that payment method even if you don't have a PayPal account.
Thanks! That's what CS eventually suggested, too. I was required to create a PayPal account at the end of the process, but at least it worked. Crazy that they do not have a straightforward credit card processor.

Other than that, once you get the kinks worked out (like installing the APN just before you switch out your iPhone SIM, and being patient for it to find a network after you arrive), this is still a great intl SIM.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, SPG Gold
Question Prepaid Data Sim Card - Netherland- Ukraine - Spain

So guys, I'll be spending a week in Ukraine, so I'm looking a good prepaid data service, ideally LTE but 3G would be good enough.
I'm not looking for a cheap solution but for a good one.

Also I have a 6 hours layover in Amsterdam and another 12 hours at Madrid so it would be great if I could use it there too..

I have my Tmobile international free roaming, but the services usually is not that good, so I rather prefer to spend money to get a better one.

Thanks in advance for the answers..

Ariel.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

sorry if this has been asked before but anyone have any sources for LTE sims; primarily for Europe?

I found this vodafone data sim... anyone use this product or something similar?

thanks
FDW
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:46 am

Sim card for Europe

I'm travelling several times a year to Europe, but to different countries.

I can of course buy a domestic sim card in each country I visit, but to keep those active I need to topup the sim balance at least once a year, which is a hassle.

Is there a sim card which would all over Europe and would still offer low rates on calls and data, so I don't need to buy a separate sim for every country I visit?

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
For data i believe the "3 feel at home" from the UK is the best value, 12GB for 21GBP, no roaming fee, many countries included, remaining data could also be used in the US

Phone simcards i am not sure, but i believe the roaming fees are limited by the EU, from June2017 looks like there wont be any roaming charges any longer
So u could buy any prepaid/pay as you go sim card
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:28 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mzzxx11
I'm travelling several times a year to Europe, but to different countries.

I can of course buy a domestic sim card in each country I visit, but to keep those active I need to topup the sim balance at least once a year, which is a hassle.

Is there a sim card which would all over Europe and would still offer low rates on calls and data, so I don't need to buy a separate sim for every country I visit?

Thanks
I purchased a Vodafone NL sim off ebay prior to my recent trip to Europe. I think it cost $8 with shipping. ACtually getting it topped off was a pain because the vodafone site had trouble with my US CC. I was eventually able to find a third party site that did it. For 15 euros I got 1.5 GB of 4G data, 100 mins talk/sms. Additional GBs are available for 10 euros. I know that there are probably better deals out there but this allowed me to have data and cell access immediately upon landing in Madrid.

here are their tariffs

unfortunately many Euro sims require registration so this was one of the few options I could find ( in my reserach)

FDW
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I purchased a Vodafone NL sim off ebay prior to my recent trip to Europe. I think it cost $8 with shipping. ACtually getting it topped off was a pain because the vodafone site had trouble with my US CC. I was eventually able to find a third party site that did it. For 15 euros I got 1.5 GB of 4G data, 100 mins talk/sms. Additional GBs are available for 10 euros. I know that there are probably better deals out there but this allowed me to have data and cell access immediately upon landing in Madrid.

here are their tariffs

unfortunately many Euro sims require registration so this was one of the few options I could find ( in my reserach)

FDW

FYI my italy vodafone accepts paypal. I had to use the guest function (I couldn't login to my paypal acct) and pay by credit card but it worked great.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:31 pm

Does three's prepaid All in One plans include the "Feel at Home" free roaming offer? I am planning to visit about 3 of those counties listed in the offer for a couple of weeks but I am not clear if the prepaid plans would cover roaming or not.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
IRL I occasionally run experiments. So I decided to do a little sim experiment on a cruise from Venice to Athens last month. Project Fi on a nexus 6 on the beta channel with Nougat installed (mistake), one plus one with Piranha, Moto G with Toggle, My work phone with Sprint international, and my ipad mini with Tmobile data. TL;DR- The Piranha worked best everywhere, H+ speeds. T mobile also worked well at 2G but slow. Toggle was pretty good. Sprint was surprisingly good. And the Nexus 6 in the Beta program, started ok in Venice but got slower as we went. So I did a factory reset and switched out of Nougat, and it worked great once I did that. Piranha was more expensive but is more reliable now than when I was using it last year. Project Fi has a lot of promise, but was slow to register on the networks even after I did the Factory reset. But once it did register it would get LTE some of the time. This was in Katakolon, Santorini, and Athens. Toggle worked well in Italy and London. So my top 3 were Piranha, T mobile and project fi. This was Venice, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, and Greece.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just spent 10 days in Europe, through Zurich, Paris & Amsterdam using a TEP mifi unit and wanted to say that for my wife & I (and our assorted devices) it worked about as well as I'd hoped. A full charge on the mifi lasts around 8 hours so if you're out and about all day I'd recommend turning it off when you're not using it to conserve the battery. I never ran out of juice but it got down to the danger zone a few times.

Service was 3G at best, and oftentimes much slower, but it works for maps and checking Twitter, uploading to Instagram, etc. Can't really complain for $9 per day. Ordered the unit a week before my trip and got it in like three days. Meant to return it transiting home through LHR but missed the fine print that said the return location was outside of security. Emailed them and they promptly responded with a new mail label to use when I got back to the states. I would definitely recommend TEP!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:52 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

here are their tariffs

FDW

Just as a followup on Vodafone NL- it seemed to just stop working towards the end of my trip. Vodafone CS on twitter and FB were quite unhelpful. Might look at Flexiroam X for my next trip...

FDW
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:46 pm

Most popular SIM for Europe

Looking at options for my mifi box. (I have several hotspot units I can use)

Does anyone have a sense of which of these sim card providers are the most popular?

I am doing several countries in Western Europe in July 2017

Thx!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.