Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Which email site to use - esp when travelling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which email site to use - esp when travelling?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:03 pm

Not sure if you're ever in China, but if you are, note that Google services are usually blocked and require a VPN to get access. Whereas Apple and Microsoft services work fine.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I never use a public computer. If I want emails I take my own device.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jamescho
Not sure if you're ever in China, but if you are, note that Google services are usually blocked and require a VPN to get access. Whereas Apple and Microsoft services work fine.
I have never been in China.

I have been in Hong Kong - presumably Hong Kong does not have the blockage of Google Services.

In China, can one access yahoo emails? Is hotmail a microsoft account?
I was not aware one can get apple email accounts - do they have personalized customer service?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:18 am

Does anyone have recommendations for an e-mail service other than Google / Microsoft and its various brands / Yahoo? I dislike having to give my information to providers who then mine that information to snoop on / sell to me!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
This is always a fun issue. Every day, millions of people check into hotels around the world, use the hotel's wifi, and never have an issue with hackers. But, every day, some do have an issue.

So, like seat belts and smoke alarms, many people zealously follow safety protocols while others figure it won't happen to them.

If you travel is generally within your home country and if you generally stay at "good" hotels then you might have better odds. But those who travel overseas and travel for a living and have seen the horror that follows a hacking know rhat the time and money spent to prevent one may seem wasteful, until you are trying to deal with the fallout.

An ounce of prevention and all that.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SchrottFly
Does anyone have recommendations for an e-mail service other than Google / Microsoft and its various brands / Yahoo? I dislike having to give my information to providers who then mine that information to snoop on / sell to me!
If you don't want them to try selling to you, you'll need to be a paying customer. I suggest looking at Rackspace or Amazon , or just buy a single mailbox Office 365 subscription.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have never been in China.

I have been in Hong Kong - presumably Hong Kong does not have the blockage of Google Services.

In China, can one access yahoo emails? Is hotmail a microsoft account?
I was not aware one can get apple email accounts - do they have personalized customer service?
Hong Kong does not have the Internet blocked as on the mainland.

I don't think any free email tier will come with personalized customer service. You have to pay for these things.

icloud.com is Apple's site for mail and such.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
If you don't want them to try selling to you, you'll need to be a paying customer. I suggest looking at Rackspace or Amazon , or just buy a single mailbox Office 365 subscription.

Hong Kong does not have the Internet blocked as on the mainland.

I don't think any free email tier will come with personalized customer service. You have to pay for these things.

icloud.com is Apple's site for mail and such.
I have not ruled out paid email service, if it provides me good telephone and other (eg email and/or chat) customer service (if a telephone, miminal wait time before getting through a customer service rep).

So the 2 questions of these paid services are:

a) is it less likely to be hacked then the free services?
b) if through hacking, the full years (or longer) worth of emails is deleted, does the email service have the emails retrievable. I ask this question because with the work (hospital) intranet that I use, a few years ago, through some technical one-time glitch, all my emails were deleted. However, the hospital kept all my emails and email files copied on their server; so they could retrieve all the emails for me except for a few sent or received for a few previous hours.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
...or just buy a single mailbox Office 365 subscription...
Paying money to fall into the clutches of Mr. Softie? No thank you.

Besides although a paid subscription may help avoiding overt ads, once MS has access to your activities, contacts etc. they would be foolish not to use that information to their own advantage, in every way they can.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Coolers
Not all hotels will allow you to email documents to them for printing.
I've yet to hit one which won't let me hand them a USB key.

Besides although a paid subscription may help avoiding overt ads, once MS has access to your activities, contacts etc. they would be foolish not to use that information to their own advantage, in every way they can.
The Office 365 for business privacy policies are pretty good (ditto the paid Google Apps for Business); several prior employers and my current one have sufficiently serious lawyers and security guys, and trust one or the other.

I have my doubts about whether that applies to the basic Office 365 for Home Use subscriptions, but in Google's case there is only one paid sort of subscription.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
I've yet to hit one which won't let me hand them a USB key.
I have never tried this option though you're probably right. Using this method should be combined with a robust antivirus solution on your laptop. IMO failure to do so poses a greater risk than a public computer with a keylogger. There have been many, public hacks of hotel systems.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Coolers
I have never tried this option though you're probably right. Using this method should be combined with a robust antivirus solution on your laptop. IMO failure to do so poses a greater risk than a public computer with a keylogger. There have been many, public hacks of hotel systems.
A robust antivirus solution is a very good idea for tons of reasons.

The most important thing is just have a cheapo disposable key and wipe it after you're done using it to hand over files to print; risks are much bigger if there are files you want to keep and may open later.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paying money to fall into the clutches of Mr. Softie? No thank you.

You should read the associated privacy policies and terms of use, and then make an informed decision.

So the 2 questions of these paid services are:

a) is it less likely to be hacked then the free services?
b) if through hacking, the full years (or longer) worth of emails is deleted, does the email service have the emails retrievable. I ask this question because with the work (hospital) intranet that I use, a few years ago, through some technical one-time glitch, all my emails were deleted. However, the hospital kept all my emails and email files copied on their server; so they could retrieve all the emails for me except for a few sent or received for a few previous hours.
a) Any of the big providers will be quite secure from generic hackers. It's up to you, the user, to practice responsible security on your account such as using two factor authentication.

b) Many providers offer an email archiving service for an additional fee. It sounds like this is something you'd be interested in.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I never use a public computer. If I want emails I take my own device.
That's the spirit. It's funny waiting at an Apple Store reading emails of strangers, that thought it would be a good idea to sent emails from the demo phones.

I dislike having to give my information to providers who then mine that information to snoop on / sell to me!
Then, you'll need to pay for the services. It's probably best to go for a small provider as they draw less attention.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WorldLux
...It's probably best to go for a small provider as they draw less attention.
I would find a local isp and set up an email account. You are probably talking $10-20/month?

Then either use their webmail interface or something like the secure login option on https://mail2web.com/
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
b) if through hacking, the full years (or longer) worth of emails is deleted, does the email service have the emails retrievable.
Why don't you do this yourself? Use a real e-mail client (not webmail interface) and set it to download messages to your computer. Once there, you can just have them sitting there or archive them on other media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.