Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Unlocked iPhone 5S & 6 best free/minimal global cellular plan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I've got a couple of unlocked AT&T iPhones (6S, 5S, 5C, 4S). We were grandfathered in on a family plan with unlimited data, so I've been reluctant to change it. Plus, we get great coverage at our home/work whereas some other providers don't (T Mobile being one).

I'm looking for a global data plan that's basically free (I'll continue to use AT&T at home with my newer unlocked iPhone). Here's what I need:
  • Coverage in Mexico, France, UK, South Africa (this last one seems to be more often the issue).
  • Prefer also coverage in Jamaica (though not requirement)
  • At least 200MB data included, with option to go over
  • Prefer some voice minutes and texts (though can use iMessage/Hangouts/Whatsapp under data plan when needed)

Looked into Google Project Fi but initial research suggests can't use AT&T unlocked phones and also trouble with switching carriers.

Freedompop looked good, esp with the unlimited Whatsapp feature on the 200MB global SIM package, but South Africa is not yet covered (next trip there is Dec so maybe it will be by then).

Had TMobile over the summer in UK. Worked great but I don't want to have a monthly plan.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:54 pm

You can turn off Project Fi for up to three months at a time? You can have nine data Sims tied to the account as well. You need to activate it on a Google Nexus, but after that it will work on an iPhone.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Sep 24, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
You can turn off Project Fi for up to three months at a time? You can have nine data Sims toed to the account as well. You need to activate it on a Google Nexus, but after that it will work on an iPhone.
But Project Fi has a monthly subscription fee of $20 minimum. I'd be turning it on and off all the time. And after 3 hours of research online the other day, I've learned that iPhones have some trouble auto switching carriers. This evidently is a real problem when traveling internationally. I would consider paying out for a Nexus as my travel phone but don't want another monthly bill.

I'm thinking that I may have to give something up. I'll probably end up on FreedomPop and just figure out something else for SA. I also looked at Ring+ but having difficulty sorting it out. Apple SIM could work for my iPad mini for SA trip upcoming. And then I could switch over to Freedompop.

I travel outside US about 5x per year so it's not enough to justify the Fi monthly or the hassle of turning on and off. But I need to have an easier solution than local SIMs when I hit the ground.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Another idea. Is there a prepaid US global SIM that would be reasonable for the occasional 2-week trip?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Why not just simple pop in a local prepaid SIM on arrival. They usually cost peanuts. Simple to use.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:24 am

Most of the roaming sim options won't be cheaper than a local sim https://www.whistleout.com/Tablets/G...avel-sim-cards

Project Fi does create a few scenarios where their 1GB for $10 is cheaper than the local prepaid data sim. For example, 1GB of prepaid data in Japan is usually at 1,500 - 3,000 yen.

I keep a Piranha prepaid roaming sim around and also have a dual sim phone. This allowed me to use data to get from airport to destination or a random call until I got a local sim or wifi. Then I added a TMobile data sim 1 GB plan and after that, Google Fi. I still occasionally use local sims if I need a lot of fast data, either purchased on eBay ahead of time or a day or two after arrival. Sometimes I'll order the sim online and have it sent to a hotel.

Last edited by freecia; Sep 22, 2016 at 1:32 am
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:13 pm

ProjectFi's switching problems in an iPhone are a domestic problem, e.g. switching to Sprint and US Cellular. In Europe, Fi largely follows 3's roaming agreements.

I have a friend who got a TMobile "at home" adapter and is using his ProjectFi SIM for his home phone. He put data SIMs in his devices.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Especially when traveling abroad, I am not sure what OP's issues are with the inability to use unlocked AT&T iPhone(s) with the Project Fi sim card (whether it's the regular nano ones or the data only nano sim, the latter I'm using with an VZW (factory unlocked) iPhone 5S when I travel as a backup - used as a WiFi device, it's cheap & no monthly maintenance fees, etc. since it is one of the activated add-on line using the Nexus 56 (DW's primary device) ... only pay for actual data usage.

For most contacts - 95% of the calls, the other parties call my Google Voice number, which was the mobile # I've kept unchanged since the NYNEX/Bell Atlantic days - and it's call forwarded to any/some/all of my mobile #'s . Calls on the short/priority list will always get thru while unknown/unlisted callers will get the voice mail greeting. Calls get routed over WiFi to Hangouts, and it's been very smooth 99% of the them - some will ring my Nexus 5X also; and, returning my calls via Hangouts, my Google Voice # would be shown on their CID screen ... although I can be half way around the world, on the iPhone using the data sim from Project Fi.

Both in the Caribbean and in Bermuda, DigiCel is the international roaming partner for "Fi" - it worked nicely & calls were clear, even though it wasn't upgraded from "slower" 3G speed to near 4G speed yet as announced recently. During one trip, I used about 200 MB worth of data @$2 and 5 minutes worth of WiFi call on "Fi" at 20 cents per minute - for about $3 and ended up not costing really extra since we're away with reduced usage in our "home" area.

Paid a one-time $10 fee to port (take up to 48 hours) the old mobile # into Project Fi, and if for some reasons, I want to discontinue or leave, free to take the number with me and port it out to the new mobile provider.

There are articles describing the details along with the pro's & con's - just ideas for OP to think about.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Why not just simple pop in a local prepaid SIM on arrival. They usually cost peanuts. Simple to use.
Yes, but that means I have to spend time getting the sim at local shop. I want to be able to hit the ground with it. Also, in South Africa, for instance, with RICA, it is a long process. Took me 45 minutes to get my SIM up and running the last two times.

Originally Posted by freecia
Most of the roaming sim options won't be cheaper than a local sim https://www.whistleout.com/Tablets/G...avel-sim-cards

Project Fi does create a few scenarios where their 1GB for $10 is cheaper than the local prepaid data sim. For example, 1GB of prepaid data in Japan is usually at 1,500 - 3,000 yen.
I'm happy to pay $10 for 1GB, but I don't want to pay a monthly when I'm abroad only about every 3-4 months. I'm I wrong that Project Fi requires at minimum a $20 monthly fee?

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
ProjectFi's switching problems in an iPhone are a domestic problem, e.g. switching to Sprint and US Cellular. In Europe, Fi largely follows 3's roaming agreements.
Okay, well, this is good to know since I would not be using it domestically anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.