Search

Mac OS Sierra (10.12)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Mac OS Sierra (10.12)

Just got this downloaded and installed. It looks... the same.

I still can't get unlock with watch to work. It did take about a half hour to download and a half hour to install on my MacBook Pro. I'm certain it will take longer on the Mac Mini tonight.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WIRunner

I still can't get unlock with watch to work. It did take about a half hour to download and a half hour to install on my MacBook Pro. I'm certain it will take longer on the Mac Mini tonight.
https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/07/faq-h...a-2-watchos-3/ might help with the unlock with watch. Still may be faster to manually enter in the passcode.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/07/faq-h...a-2-watchos-3/ might help with the unlock with watch. Still may be faster to manually enter in the passcode.
I left the computer sitting and went about some errands in the office. When I got back to it I was prompted to turn on or ignore the feature. It is finicky, that is for sure. I actually haven't had the chance to try it and see how it works as of yet.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
My MBP running the Sierra GM seed hasn't asked me about watch unlocking yet. I'm downloading the official release right now though so perhaps I'll get that prompt after installation.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:35 am

I got it working with my watch, needed to cancel previously installed two-step verification online at appleid.apple.com and start over.

It works fast and simple, especially if you have a long password.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For some of the oldest Macs for which this upgrade is allowed, has there been any noticeable change in speed? I've asked around for some with even 2010 Macs and checked out my own too, and it seems to have worked out well so far.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I upgraded. It seems to work OK - but I've not really noticed much difference.

I tried using Siri. What a waste of time. I tried a couple of what I though were simple queries - from my office in Eindhoven.

"When is the next train to Schiphol Airport" - the result was a list of train time table websites.

"How to I get to the Pullman Eindhoven Hotel?" - it initially got the spelling of Pullman correct, but then auto-corrected it to "Paulman". It then asked me which hotel I meant, and gave a list of 3 hotels in Eindhoven, none of which were the Pullman

So, it won't be used again.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
For some of the oldest Macs for which this upgrade is allowed, has there been any noticeable change in speed? I've asked around for some with even 2010 Macs and checked out my own too, and it seems to have worked out well so far.
For a mid-2012 MBA I see no difference in speed, for better or worse.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I upgraded. It seems to work OK - but I've not really noticed much difference.
Indeed, I updated as well, but is more like 10.11.6 minor update.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:59 am

after the upgrade and if you are logged in to the same apple id account, is the universal clipboard thing supposed to just work?

ETA: cycled bt and wifi on the phone and it started working .. nice feature.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 25, 2016 at 2:20 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner

It is still a dot release so there weren't a lot of big changes. The biggest change is the integration with Siri. So far for me its been pretty stable (and that is probably the biggest thing I ask of an OS). I've got it on a 2016 Macbook. I've gotten rid of my iPhone and watch so I do lose a lot of the integrations, but picked up an Android that works a lot better with my car.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ross123
It is still a dot release so there weren't a lot of big changes.
Strictly speaking everything has been a dot release for the last 15 years (OSX 10.0 Cheetah) The main version number (10) remained the same ever since.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm starting to have some issues with 10.12 and my MBP. Battery life has suddenly tanked. I'm burning through 15-20 in under an hour and aren't really using things any differently. It seems to be working just fine on my mac mini, but when I started writing this post I was at 52% and it dropped to 48% bounced up to 50% and is now at 49.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:06 am

Did you check activity monitor to see what's using a lot of cpu?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:22 am
Suspended

MBP late 2011, no noticeable change in speed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.