Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Airpods

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I have the PB's 2, the X and the airpods.

Id rank the Airpods at the top as well, only because of them being wireless. Love the fact there are no wires, esp when working out. I need adaptors to make them fit my ears.

Sound wise, the PB's are my favorite, as the Airpods dont block out any outside noise.

X, I don't see the point, sound is a bit worse than the PB's and the wire just doesnt sit well on me.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7804739

The above Apple thread reports one has to 'trick' the Airpods - it involves airplane mode - to play music from the Apple Watch. Is that problem universal?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7840734

Here is an Apple thread where a user is claiming Apple told them that Airpods could only be used with an Apple Watch if an iPhone is within range.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So how are they for sound isolation?

Not very much since they're not in-ear designs?

I wonder about sound isolation and whether they will stay in during heavy exercise.

Now there are BEATs in-ear wireless buds with the W1 chip as well for $150. Better battery life but the design is more conventional, with a wire tethering both sides.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is there any battery drain on the Airpods when you're not using them?

I got the Beats X which came out in February and find that if I charge them and turn them off, overnight they will lose about 10-15% of capacity, as indicated by the iPhone when paired and the Beats X are powered on.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Well, I finally bought a set of AirPods after the Bose soundsports started giving me grief in the gym. I gave up on Beats a long time ago.

I used the AirPods today at the gym with no issues. My routine emphasizes free-weights. I had no worries about losing either pod and the sound was much better than the Bose. I also like easy access to Siri.

I will continue to test but if all goes well I should give the pods an ultimate test by taking them to China next month but the Bose will QC35 be used when I need noise cancelling like DTW-PVG.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
Well, I finally bought a set of AirPods after the Bose soundsports started giving me grief in the gym. I gave up on Beats a long time ago.

I used the AirPods today at the gym with no issues. My routine emphasizes free-weights. I had no worries about losing either pod and the sound was much better than the Bose. I also like easy access to Siri.

I will continue to test but if all goes well I should give the pods an ultimate test by taking them to China next month but the Bose will QC35 be used when I need noise cancelling like DTW-PVG.
That's exactly my current setup, Airpods for daily use, QC35's for when I need noise cancelling. Works great.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Xeno
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7804739

The above Apple thread reports one has to 'trick' the Airpods - it involves airplane mode - to play music from the Apple Watch. Is that problem universal?
When I put my iPhone in airplane mode it shuts of Bluetooth. If I'm listening to anything through Bluetooth, it immediately shuts off. Then I go back and turn Bluetooth back on.

I wish there was a way to go into airplane mode without shutting off Bluetooth.

I still carry 3 sets of listening devices when I travel:
* Bose over-ear noise canceling headphones
* Bose SoundSport
* Airpods

On the plane I'll usually go with the Airpods. They were especially helpful a few times when I had canceled/delayed flights and wanted to call AA for rebooking help. Surprisingly they even stayed in my ears while walking down the jetway.

I must have funky ears because nothing but the SoundSport seems to work for me when I'm moving, and even then sometimes those fall out. Just this morning while benching the right (with the power/USB) fell out at the end of a set.

Although I have 3 with me, I kind of have specific purposes for them. If I kick back and want to watch movies on a longer flight, then the over-ear. For any workouts, the SoundSport. And as noted, since the Airpods are small and convenient, I often just have these in a pocket.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Why would you worry about wearing AirPods going down the jetway? They seem to be secure so is it the notion that should one would dislodge that it would be difficult to locate?

On the BT issue, I have not used the airplane mode trick because I seem to be contacted to my iW2 without any problems.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Me too!

Originally Posted by IslesFan
That's exactly my current setup, Airpods for daily use, QC35's for when I need noise cancelling. Works great.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

What technique do you use to accept phone calls and to end phone calls? I got my airpods yesterday. The double tap only works about 1 out of 10 times for me. Is there a specific place on the airpod I need to tap? If so, where?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

I do not keep my AirPods in at the office unless I am expecting a call. I will, however, put them in when I am preparing to make a call.

I do not have much experience with the 2 taps to accept a call but one time a few days ago it did not work and I had to grab the Ip and set the audio to the AirPods.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What technique do you use to accept phone calls and to end phone calls? I got my airpods yesterday. The double tap only works about 1 out of 10 times for me. Is there a specific place on the airpod I need to tap? If so, where?
You have to learn the right spot, speed and force of the tap. It's two quick deliberate taps pretty high up, is probably the best way I can describe it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Upthread there was some discussion about using AirPods while flying. I started out in OKC and am now in DTW. I had no problems at an point. However, once I board the 747 I will switch to the Bose.

In the last 20 minutes, two loud phone talkers planted themselves near me in the DTW Center lounge so I have almost maxed out the volume!

In terms of the two taps, that formula works all the time for Siri but it seems less consistent when trying to answer a call. I seem to remember a similar problem with the first Apple Watch.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

My iP7 is now iOS 11 and my cellular iW3 is iOS 4.

When I double tap the Airpods the only action that seems to work is to stop and start music on my iW3 whether in or out of BT range of the iP7.

The only way to get Siri to work in this scenario is to use "Hey Siri" with my iW3. That then allows commands like "Call work" or "decrease volume".

Anyone know if this is intended or a bug?

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 24, 2017 at 11:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.