Search

Apple Airpods

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by aztimm
Just a quick update after a few days:

* AirPods: although they have great sound and are good for phone calls, for anything beyond a casual walk they fall out of my ears. tried using them while walking the dogs yesterday, and one fell out within 50 feet. put it back in, then the other fell out. ended up taking them out, put them back in the case in my pocket, and went without music.

* Bose Soundsport: they took a little effort to get the right fit, but once in they stayed in. used them while on the treadmill for about 4 miles, then weights, and they didn't come out. even while I changed my shirt after the treadmill they stayed on. great sound too. for a while I almost forgot I even had them on (I nearly wore them in the pool). I will need to work on the cord though, as without any adjustment it was a bit long. was fine for running, but kind of got in the way for some weights.
Thanks for the update about the AirPods. It sounds like trying to navigate an airport - especially a crowded international airport - with these in place could be problematic.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Xeno
Thanks for the update about the AirPods. It sounds like trying to navigate an airport - especially a crowded international airport - with these in place could be problematic.
I've heard of some people wearing them for running. My ears seem a bit funky. They don't work for me, but might work for others.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I've heard of some people wearing them for running. My ears seem a bit funky. They don't work for me, but might work for others.
Do you have trouble with the earbuds that come with the iP7?

I would still like to try out the AirPods, but I don't want to wait until February for them to be delivered so I am out of luck it would seem.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
Do you have trouble with the earbuds that come with the iP7?

I would still like to try out the AirPods, but I don't want to wait until February for them to be delivered so I am out of luck it would seem.
With the earbuds that came with my phone, I've been ok on the treadmill while walking. As soon as I take the speed above 6.0 mph they start to fall out.

Back when I ran marathons, someone had recommended Sennheiser Twist to Fit, which were fantastic for me. However, they don't make them anymore
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have two friends, Apple fan boys to their core, who have had their Airpods for a week or so now.

It is downright hilarious as they both try to convince me - though we all know they are really trying to convince themselves - that the damn things actually fit and will stay in their ears during any activity more rigorous than sitting on one's arse.

Funnier still [and purely coincidental to the flawed design I am sure] that Apple recently released their replacement Airpod price - $69/bud - a whopping $10 discount off retail.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:48 pm

Just a quick update after a few days:

* AirPods: although they have great sound and are good for phone calls, for anything beyond a casual walk they fall out of my ears. tried using them while walking the dogs yesterday, and one fell out within 50 feet. put it back in, then the other fell out. ended up taking them out, put them back in the case in my pocket, and went without music.
BAM. Too bad. I was hoping for a miracle. It's a no buy for me then. I can't hold the regular apple earphones in my ear (the ones with the wire) and I almost believed the AirPods would do some magic. Thanks for your post - I'll wait for Bose to upgrade their QC20i then (the QC 30 neck band is a portability deal breaker for me)

Last edited by arjunrc; Dec 28, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Not for me, I prefer my wired IEM.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I like the Plantronics Backbeat Fit ones and recently upgraded to these waterproof ones. 7-8 hours on a full charge, and comfortable to wear for long periods.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:27 am

actually i want a wired headset. I want the wires to show the world... "Hey i am listening to music, do NOT talk to me!"

LOL
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by anrkitec
I have two friends, Apple fan boys to their core, who have had their Airpods for a week or so now.

It is downright hilarious as they both try to convince me - though we all know they are really trying to convince themselves - that the damn things actually fit and will stay in their ears during any activity more rigorous than sitting on one's arse.

Funnier still [and purely coincidental to the flawed design I am sure] that Apple recently released their replacement Airpod price - $69/bud - a whopping $10 discount off retail.
haha. imagine the amount of extra profits by Apple.
oh man, i love apple products, but this is just rich.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:29 am

I'm waiting to get to try a pair of these first hand before coming to a conclusion on their value. The earpods have always been the most comfortable ear buds for me, so I'm optimistic on that. Even if I do like them, I'll be waiting for gen 2 or an unlikely price drop.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:37 am

I have the same issue as you where my earbuds fall off. So might I suggest the Beats wireless earphones if you don't care about aesthetics? If you're an Apple fan, well they are owned by Apple now. They go over the ear and have been pretty stable when I've used them. I have version 2 and they've been solid for my use. The negatives are 6-7hr battery life and the microphone tends to pickup background noise and wind. Recently I've seen this version for under $100 if you look around for deals.

A version 3 has come out that may have improved on these aspects but haven't seen it on sale yet.
Edit: Amazon currently has the v3 black for $150.

Last edited by nas6034; Dec 30, 2016 at 9:31 am
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
My AirPods should be arriving on the 4th, so I'll be testing soon.

EarPods work for me, though the left one tends to fall out first. It has seemed to me that the wires are part of the problem. I've been using Earhoox for the last month or so. No fall-outs at all, including while running. I'll be using these on the AirPods as well.

S
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
I have the same issue as you where my earbuds fall off. So might I suggest the Beats wireless earphones if you don't care about aesthetics? If you're an Apple fan, well they are owned by Apple now. They go over the ear and have been pretty stable when I've used them. I have version 2 and they've been solid for my use. The negatives are 6-7hr battery life and the microphone tends to pickup background noise and wind. Recently I've seen this version for under $100 if you look around for deals.

A version 3 has come out that may have improved on these aspects but haven't seen it on sale yet.
Edit: Amazon currently has the v3 black for $150.
I'm not sure if you ready my prior post, but I also got the Bose SoundSport, and those are fantastic for me for workouts.
I also have a pair of Bose QC (I can't remember which model), that I use for long flights.

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
My AirPods should be arriving on the 4th, so I'll be testing soon.

EarPods work for me, though the left one tends to fall out first. It has seemed to me that the wires are part of the problem. I've been using Earhoox for the last month or so. No fall-outs at all, including while running. I'll be using these on the AirPods as well.

S
I have something like the Earhoox on order from Amazon, should arrive today I think.
My left also falls first, including the Airpods. So I don't think it is the cord, for me at least.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:58 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
I managed to order my airpods when they first come available and received them before Xmas and have now used them for a week at home and traveling on planes and trains. Wanted to try if they would live up to the expectations that seemed very cool.

I was really worried about them dropping out of my ears, as the wired apple headphones will drop out quite easily for me even when not moving much and are similar in shape. The Airpods stay in very well, so no problem in this regard for me.

My previous bluetooth wireless Philips (wire-between-two-earbuds style) headphones sometimes cut out sound when the phone and headphones were on different sides of my body (signal attenuation). The AirPods work without dropping out this way. The AirPods also work surprisingly far away from the iPhone, feels they work much further away than my previous standard BT headphones.

On the airplane, the AirPods can't compete with noise canceling headphones at all, they don't fill in the ear canal tightly so a lot of ambient noise gets in. So on the plane, after testing for a short time, I went back to my Sony earbud-style digital noise canceling wired headphones.

You can use a single AirPod at a time, no need to use both, which I found I strongly prefer for listening to talk podcasts and doing phone calls. Doesn't cut me off the environment completely. The automatic ear detection, double tap, etc. all work with one AirPod only as well.

Sound quality feels pretty good, for music, podcasts, telephone calls, etc.

The integration with the iPhone (and iPad, and Mac) makes for very easy user experience — I think many commenters underestimate the whole package of features, AirPods include more features than just earphones.

For example, the automatic detection of being in the ear or not for automatic play, stop, answer call, etc. sounds weird but it makes using AirPods surprisingly convenient — just put it in the ear to answer a call, no additional actions needed.

For podcast listening with the Overcast app, I seem to need to double tap to play (I set double tap for stop/play instead of siri in the preferences) after inserting the AirPods but stop works automatically.

The convenience means I have listened to a lot more podcasts than before, which is great (I'm currently working my way thru the "Space Rocket History" podcast series). It is convenient enough to pop in an AirPod in many situations that before felt too cumbersome to take out bigger or tangled-wire headphones.

The charging thing cover doubles as a stress-relief toy, flipping the cover open and closed with it's snappy magnetic closure is fun ;-)

I've used the AirPods for some hours at a time, and the batter was down just a bit, so I'm not worried about battery life for my use at all. Also using just one AirPod sometimes means the other one is at 100%. Charging with the same connector/cables as iPhone is convenient, as I carry those in my bag already anyway.

The form factor (i.e. nothing extra, no wires, no headband, no wire between the earbuds) seems really convenient compared normal bigger wireless headphones. After using these for the first day, I already hated it when I needed to use wired headphones.

I minimize what I carry with me, and the AirPods are now, after just a week, something I always put in my pocket. And I haven't touched my previous wired or wireless earphones at all (except for the noise canceling ones on the plane).

I was not sure before I received the AirPods, reading the mixed reviews, but now I think the AirPods are a winner.

Last edited by haa; Dec 30, 2016 at 1:01 pm Reason: Typo fixes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.