Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How do I stop Incoming Voice Call from Ringing when on a Whatsapp Call?

Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

So I was talking to a friend on a Whatsapp call. Someone else then called me on my regular mobile number and Wham! Loud ringing incoming call sound right in my ear!

Yes, I know I can manually silence my ringer - but, that's really not practicable every time I get a Whatsapp call.

Any suggestions as to how to avoid the loud incoming call ring when the phone is right up to your ear on a Whatsapp call? I have to assume I'm not the only one who's had their eardrum blown out under similar circumstances.

Phone is a Nexus 6P.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:51 am

I would like to know the solution for the same problem too..
Hope someone knows how to solve this problem..
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Ask him, if he is still interested in responding:

FlyerTalk Forums - View Profile: jkb76
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:20 am

Add me to the list of people who would like a solution to this problem.

The only advice I can give is from my Note 4, where I have it set to Ring and Vibrate for calls. The phone starts vibrating before it rings, so I'm able to pull the phone away from my ear in time.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Ask him, if he is still interested in responding:

FlyerTalk Forums - View Profile: jkb76

Didn't he have a falling out with FaceBook shortly after WhatsApp acquisition?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TGarza
Didn't he have a falling out with FaceBook shortly after WhatsApp acquisition?
WhatsApp is his baby. So if this is an existing feature, he should have known.

If not, good luck with FB.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Is this problem on both Android and Iphone or only Android?

There is the same problem with Google Hangouts as well - if you are on a Google Hangouts call and there is an incoming voice call, it will blow your ear out.

If there is ever a solution, I suspect it is more likely to come from complaining about Hangouts than Whatsapp, as Google makes Android and Hangouts.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigFlyer

There is the same problem with Google Hangouts as well - if you are on a Google Hangouts call and there is an incoming voice call, it will blow your ear out.

If there is ever a solution, I suspect it is more likely to come from complaining about Hangouts than Whatsapp, as Google makes Android and Hangouts.
Following up on my own post.

While I have the problem on my Pixel 2 - I did a test on my old LG G4 and you get a background tone instead of a loud ring when a cellular call comes in during a Whatsapp voice call. So the problem is apparently not universal for all Android phones.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer

I have the same problem with my iPhone. It is definitely a problem for WhatsApp to correct. I silence my WhatsApp to avoid the problem.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

I have the same problem with my iPhone. It is definitely a problem for WhatsApp to correct. I silence my WhatsApp to avoid the problem.
I'm not sure Whatsapp can correct it.

If you try a Google Hangouts call, I bet you will have the same problem. And, as I pointed out in my post, it is not a problem on my LG 4.

I guess the question is does the Android operating system (or IOS) give software developers the ability to develop VOIP apps that can be treated by the operating system as if it is a cellular call and not ring in the ear. On the LG when I am on Whatsapp or Hangouts an incoming cellular calls shows up like a call waiting, with a beep and notification. So perhaps LG has some modification not present in pure Android that allows this to happen. But the fact that it works properly with LG but not with my Pixel 2 suggests to me that it is an operating system problem - which LG has solved, but which is not solved in pure Android.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:33 am
hln

This is definitely a problem I have faced. It's very annoying, I hope they fix this soon
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:43 am

I have a Sony Xperia.
I comes with a nifty program called Xperia assist that lets you set automatic actions like.
If the time is X and Y program is running, do Z.
I have it set to turn ringer off if WhatsApp is open. (only open, running in background and the ringer is back to normal )
I'm sure there are other programs like this but I think Xperia Assist runs on any Android as it's part of the Assist tools they use to take all your date from say a Samsung over to Sony.

Dan

P.S. This program is also great for running satnav when you get in the car as it also allows actions like If time is X and I'm plugged in, do Y.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd be a bit surprised if Apple allows application to control the ring function of the phone hardware/software.

How does silencing "my WhatsApp" (whatever that means) help?

Set your phone to vibrate.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:52 am

BigFlyer, and others: Could you PLEASE file a very simply lawsuit against Google Android for blowing your eardrums out.

I am presently in Sri Lanka and it would not have much weight if I filed from here.

Best case scenario would be a very small quick monetary settlement for you, along with a quick fix of this very serious issue.

I just nearly had my ear blown out due to a very loud ringtone that I have installed.

This issue is DANGEROUS, and needs to be addressed by google immediately!
Old Aug 7, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: Many
Who knows, an expert might just be available in this Thread Whats App Expert Needed - web version chat backup

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.