iPhone 7

Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
The problem is not that the phone itself has an issue after 1-2 years old. They push updates and both Apple and Android devices become slower and slower. It's akin to installing the newest OS on a machine that meets the recommendations but not it not OPTIMIZED for it.

This happens on every single phone. The final few updates before the new phones I just don't download. I have a 2nd gen Retina iPad(Large one) and I was doing updates and it basically become unusable it was so slow. I was able to force restore to the factory and choose an update that works with all the apps I wanted to use(Netflix, Plex and sports streaming) and it works amazing.

It's programmed 'failure'. "My battery is dying faster and it seems to be getting slow". Same apps are not the phone since the day you restored off iCloud and now it runs like crap.
That is called Planned obsolescence .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

About the iPhone 7, there are hardly any innovative features on it. The dual camera (7+ only) does not have IS (image stabilisation, not Islamic State) at the 'tele' setting where it is needed most.

Last edited by airsurfer; Sep 24, 2016 at 1:48 am
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by airsurfer
That is called Planned obsolescence .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

About the iPhone 7, there are hardly any innovative features on it. The dual camera (7+ only) does not have IS (image stabilisation, not Islamic State) at the 'tele' setting where it is needed most.
Don't forget that it's waterproof.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Don't forget that it's waterproof.
No, it is not. It is just splashproof, you cannot take it into the swimming pool and take underwater photos.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Yes, looks and feels exactly like that, save that all the buttons are now gloss black as well.

The finish strikes me a ridiculously fragile. The two models I have seen [each store is given only a single iPhone 7 in gloss black for display] were already all beat to hell after just two days of being on display. I have to think that the black will also rub off the buttons very quickly under normal use.

I suppose that if you are going to put the phone in a full case that won't matter as much, but then why get the gloss black in the first place?

#bringbackspacegray
Black model is a regular end of line ploy in pretty much all electronics
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
No, it is not. It is just splashproof, you cannot take it into the swimming pool and take underwater photos.
Who knows, you might have as good of luck as these people: https://www.cnet.com/news/how-water-...-the-iphone-7/
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
touch more than just splashproof.

Last, the iPhone 7 is water-resistant. It carries an IP67 rating for protection against dust and water ingress. Technically, it can sit in up to one meter of water for up to 30 minutes with no damage. This does not make the phone worthy of your next barrier reef scuba-diving adventure. It means the iPhone will probably survive a short dunk in the pool, tub, local stream, or toilet. The iPhone 7 is not rugged and the screen is not shatterproof, so don't go dropping it on concrete. I can say that the iPhone had no trouble handling some time under a running faucet, sitting in the river near my house, and resting at the bottom of a sink full of water.
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=18193
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Nice hyperbole, but if you are going to make bold proclamations on a public forum, that are easily verifiable when wrong, at least make some attempt to be correct.

It is neither "just splashproof" (do your homework, it's not that hard) nor is it an "underwater camera" which Apple never claimed. In fact Apple has never claimed nor has it used the words "water proof." But for some reason a large percentage of American's and tech journalists seem to be unable to grasp the difference in definitions between the words "resistant" and "proof" and immediately started reporting it was "water proof."

Regards
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
We had to upgrade our 6 and 6+ to 7 and 7+ with a $650 credit for trading each in...admittedly that commits us to 2 more years with ATT to get the monthly bill credits to pay the phones off. If next year's iPhone 8 model is really revolutionary, we can use ATT Next to upgrade again....we should still be able to keep getting monthly bill credits for the first year with iPhone 8.

The iPhone 7 will cost ~$4/month (upgrade to 128gig), and the iPhone 7+ about $9/month for 24 months.

It seemed like too good a deal to pass up since I have no plan to discontinue our ATT service and our trade in values would continue to plummet if we held on for another year.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
We switched carriers, so I'm not exactly sure how much we'll end up spending on the new phones in the end. I know what Verizon gave us, though.

Daughter wanted a new iPhone 6s. We got a $200 bill credit for her 5s. We did this before the 7 came out, so I am pretty sure we overpaid for this, but not by a dramatic amount.

Wife and I got new iPhone 7+ with 256GB storage (only one we didn't have to wait longer for). We traded in 1 of our 6+ 64GB iPhones.

Verizon is giving us a $54 bill credit for 24 months. We sold a 6+ to a relative for $200.

So we're getting $1296 in credits. I'm guessing that will be off the $1938 list price of the 2 iPhone 7+ handsets. So $642 for 2 new phones or $26/month for 2 years with the ability to upgrade if the 8 is really "revolutionary." Add the $200 to this and we're paying about $542 for 2 new phones.

I find all of the incentives and credits amusing, considering that the vendors were no longer going to subsidize phone purchases. That didn't last long.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:33 pm

Will either of the US models work at LTE speeds in China?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I find all of the incentives and credits amusing, considering that the vendors were no longer going to subsidize phone purchases. That didn't last long.
I think the manufacturers also play a large role in those incentives, too.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:00 am

If anyone really miss the headphone jack and will want to get a battery case.. here is a 2-in-1 solution!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...e-headphones#/
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Will either of the US models work at LTE speeds in China?
They should, but depends on which China carrier.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Need
If anyone really miss the headphone jack and will want to get a battery case.. here is a 2-in-1 solution!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...e-headphones#/
Looks kinda ugly but it's better than drilling a hole in the phone.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:51 pm

I know there has been quite a bit of discussion already, but here's my experience with the iPhone 7;

I originally was going to get a standard 7 128 gigabyte in jet black, but moved to space grey after seeing the wait for preorders and hearing about the issues with scratching.
I love the phone, a longer battery and better screen make it a joy to use. The new home button is also great, it still has a "click" but feels like nothing else i've used. There's a lot of stuff to like, but I still can't get over not having a headphone jack.

I have a pair of Bose SoundSports, and pair of QuietComfort 25s, totalling over $400 in headphones. When I bought them, I saw it as something of an investment. I listen to a lot of music, and it made sense to have high quality headphones that I could use for quite a few years. Of course, without a headphone jack, both are rendered obsolete. I could make the move to wireless, but it's a bit cost prohibitive, and only one pair of headphones currently supports Apple's W1 pairing technology. If new technologies are coming to market soon (like W1), I don't see the point of buying now.

In the end, cabled headphones with the iPhone 7 are a nightmare, but the new headphones that were supposed to create a wireless future hasn't arrived. I feel like it's a product without the ecosystem necessary to support it, and because of that, I wouldn't recommend an upgrade until that ecosystem exists.

If you do plan on upgrading, I pay about $105/Month through sprint. That includes unlimited data, a leased phone, and device insurance. It's pricy, but not that bad if you use huge amounts of data.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.