Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2016 "Which Smartphone Should I Get?"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by murtaza12
The better performance is probably the 'updated' firmware that the phone shipped with, the same one with the green battery icon you just mentioned.

Odd how some users reported getting replacement units with the same old white icon and no 'S' on the box.

Did you get an 'S' on the box of your replacement unit?
Mine came in the crappy AT&T box, not the fancy Note 7 Box (AT&T always does this, I suspect they save a few bucks per unit this way). I'll look tonight to see if the box has the box markings.

It had a white icon until I got the OTA, then it turned green. They're shipping with white icons. I don't think that decision was made until after they shipped.

Whatever the cause, this unit is now much snappier than my first Note 7 unit was.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Mine came in the crappy AT&T box, not the fancy Note 7 Box (AT&T always does this, I suspect they save a few bucks per unit this way). I'll look tonight to see if the box has the box markings.

It had a white icon until I got the OTA, then it turned green. They're shipping with white icons. I don't think that decision was made until after they shipped.

Whatever the cause, this unit is now much snappier than my first Note 7 unit was.
If it's an AT&T box, it probably won't have the markings.

I just read up a bit on XDA and you're right about not shipping with the green icons, they're just pushing out the OTAs to everyone who got replacement units.

Glad to hear it's going well for you. What color did you get it in, if I may ask?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
If it's an AT&T box, it probably won't have the markings.

I just read up a bit on XDA and you're right about not shipping with the green icons, they're just pushing out the OTAs to everyone who got replacement units.

Glad to hear it's going well for you. What color did you get it in, if I may ask?
Titanium Silver, which is the same color that I had before. The local AT&T store had all three colors to choose from.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Titanium Silver, which is the same color that I had before. The local AT&T store had all three colors to choose from.
I liked how Titanium Silver looked on the Note 5 and the S6 edge plus, but if I had to get a new device, say an S7 or a Note 7, I would definitely get the Black Onyx.

I love how Samsung has blacked it out and made it a proper dark colour, my Sapphire Black S6 edge plus had those annoying chrome/silver accents which didn't really compliment the looks of the phone.

Still very happy with my Silver Nexus 6P though.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:54 pm

Regarding heated arguments about Samsungs, take Note but don't take Flight with them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37454436
Plane crew douse smoking Samsung phone
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, that was with a Note 2, not the Note 7 which was the one recalled.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:08 am

Seven's not the charm for Samsung
http://bgr.com/2016/09/26/galaxy-s7-edge-explosion/
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:36 am

The Asus Zenfone 3 was available for pre-sale on Amazon US over the weekend but disappeared in a blink of the eye. Anyone know what happened?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Nancy Colson
The Asus Zenfone 3 was available for pre-sale on Amazon US over the weekend but disappeared in a blink of the eye. Anyone know what happened?
Amazon has been known to jump the gun on things, or it may have been an overzealous 3rd party vendor.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Has anyone bought the Moto G4 Amazon Prime version? Does it have European LTE?
I just ordered from Amazon.uk for use primarily in the UK and Europe. I assume I am getting XT1622 which has all necessary 4G bands: 1,3,5,7,8,19,20,28,40.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just reflashed my for-travel Honor 5X with an AOSP-based ROM before this trip, and have been using it for a couple of days now. Without all the Huawei EMUI crud on it, I love this phone. Almost tempted to keep it as my daily driver when my Nexus 6 eventually goes -- if I can find a ROM or a patch for this one, to support Wifi calling.

Not clear on whether it supports Band 12 or not, but in practice, I get a very good signal with T-mobile in my home area with this phone.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
In just 5 more days the new Google Pixel phone will be announced. I'm waiting for them

Google Fi with International speedy data here I come!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
Just reflashed my for-travel Honor 5X with an AOSP-based ROM before this trip, and have been using it for a couple of days now. Without all the Huawei EMUI crud on it, I love this phone. Almost tempted to keep it as my daily driver when my Nexus 6 eventually goes -- if I can find a ROM or a patch for this one, to support Wifi calling.

Not clear on whether it supports Band 12 or not, but in practice, I get a very good signal with T-mobile in my home area with this phone.
If you have the US variant, then yes it does support Band 12.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have the US variant, then yes it does support Band 12.
Good to know; I've seen reviews that said it didn't, but they may have been going from pre-release or non-US specs.

In any event, as long as my Nexus 6 stays running, it'll remain a spare but I honestly can't see paying flagship money for a phone again, and even the ~$400ish ones don't seem to offer anything truly compelling to justify the higher cost.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I keep reading that the Honor 5X supports band 12 but not VoLTE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.