Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Download movies / tv for offline viewing at 36,000ft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Download movies / tv for offline viewing at 36,000ft?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah PlayOn got back to me, it's 720p and stereo only.

I know screen recorders would work but when you see torrents of Netflix shows in 1080p with full AC3 soundtracks, you wonder how they captured it.

Maybe a video card with HDMI in and running Netflix and other streaming devices from an external set top?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
PlayOn is pretty intriguing. I'm tempted on the lifetime, but I do wonder how long it'll truly be feasible.
I did lifetime 3 or 4 years ago with a 1/2 price sale for some holiday and the features have actually gotten MUCH better in that time...with no additional costs. Can't beat that!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah PlayOn got back to me, it's 720p and stereo only.

I know screen recorders would work but when you see torrents of Netflix shows in 1080p with full AC3 soundtracks, you wonder how they captured it.

Maybe a video card with HDMI in and running Netflix and other streaming devices from an external set top?
The way they describe it, makes it sound like it is essentially screen/stream capture much like Quicktime's streaming video capture feature.

From this website...
Originally Posted by TechLive
For the actual recording, PlayOn employs some trickery, playing and capturing the video through an invisible Internet Explorer window.
Not sure why the video is limited to 720P though.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:37 am

There are addons for KODI allowing you to save the video instead of watching it. But I just download from Amazon Prime Video now. It is so much easier and faster and it is very much legal.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:58 am

Is it illegal to record a streaming service?

I get that it might be against the service's terms, but what would be illegal about it?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:05 pm
Suspended

It might involve cracking DRM, which would be illegal under the DMCA.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:27 pm

PlayOn, Lawrence explained, explicitly does not circumvent any DRM, nor does it access the encrypted stream in any way to download material. Instead, it functions essentially as a browser-based screen-capture program. The consumer has to queue up and play something in order for PlayOn to record it, which PlayOn then does in real-time invisibly in a background process.
Source: https://consumerist.com/2015/11/06/y...ot-allowed-to/

Granted, that's their position and someone else could potentially argue differently, but I'm comfortable with this explanation.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Amazon is the best download app, the interface is the best for consuming content, but yes there is a cost.

Netflix is coming with downloads, "soon", but probably not soon enough.

PlayOn works pretty well and I don't see it going away soon. I did the lifetime a couple years ago, it was like 20$, so cheap. The downside is it takes as long to "download" as it does to watch whatever you are going to watch. It's not a download service it's a capture tool.

So, you want 20 hours of content, it's going to take 20 LINEAR HOURS to get that content with a bit of interaction on your part to get it. And you have to have access to the content of course and pretty much dedicate a machine to it.

I record a bunch of stuff to my tivo and transfer that content prior to a lot of travel. Add to that a bunch of amazon movies and series. I download HBO content using their app, and download movies from either VUDU or Apple Itunes for the rest. It's a process to build up the content - usually on my 128GB ipad, but it's nice to have for those long flights or remote locations
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Yeah I've been loading up content too for trips but usually don't end up watching it all, especially movies.

If the plane has a good IFE, with like recent movies, I'll watch some of that but try to sleep as well.

Only a couple of times, I've tried to watch something from overseas, like one time I took off right before the season finale of a season of Game of Thrones and didn't want to wait until I got back.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:58 pm

I use PlayOn all the time for exactly this purpose. It's awesome other than it downloads in realtime. Ie, a one hour show takes one hour to download. But you just queue everything up before you go to bed and it will download one after the other. The only other negative is when you go to actually use netflix, it will show that you've watched all of the episodes that you've downloaded. Other than that, it's been brilliant and well worth the $$ for the lifetime.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:10 am

With the android phone, download ShowBox (not in playstore, just google it). Will allow you to download movies & TV shows , watch streaming movies & TV shows and also cast using chromecast. You can also transfer movies from device once downloaded to another device. And it's free.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Excellent thread responses. Thanks all! ^

I've got myself PlayOn. I also use KODI and have used movavi in the past too.

Safe Travels, wj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.