Best Browser? (Windows 10)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Browser? (Windows 10)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: United MP
It's going to be hard for you to determine which is best if you don't even try one of the better options - Firefox. That is my pick.

I seem to recall that Opera could remember your tabs and Windows that you had open previously. If that is what you mean by "restore session". I can't believe they would remove that feature. Check settings.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA
I used to use Firefox with XMarks to sync bookmarks, but didn't have consistent success with XMarks syncing, so switched to Chrome so I could sync bookmarks, tabs, etc.

I've been using Chrome mostly happily ever since, but I am concerned and, I admit, confused, about recent news that Google is going to phase out support of Chrome apps next years. I don't mind if the Chrome app launcher (that little white box on the toolbar) goes away, but does this news mean goodbye to the various apps I've installed from the Chrome webstore and have on my home screen (yes, I'm one of those who hated that Google tried to do away with the apps home screen view and availed myself of a hack to restore it)? Because if Google is following up trying to kill off the favorite apps home screen with killing off the apps themselves, what use will the Chrome webstore be any more to Windows users? It certainly won't drive me out to buy a Chromebook; it'll just drive me back to Firefox.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:21 pm

I use both Firefox and Chrome, but Firefox is my primary "casual browser." I prefer the bookmarks side panel for organizing my favorites, which Chrome lacks.

Firefox's built in syncing is excellent if that's what you're running on every device. I'm finding Firefox on Android to be a better option than Chrome, since it syncs to my PC and supports add-ons.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
It's going to be hard for you to determine which is best if you don't even try one of the better options - Firefox. That is my pick.
Who said I won't?! Totally planning on trying Firefox!

I seem to recall that Opera could remember your tabs and Windows that you had open previously. If that is what you mean by "restore session". I can't believe they would remove that feature. Check settings.
Opera does allow syncing tabs but they can't restore a session. So if you accidentally close the browser (click the X, Windows restarts, etc.), then the only way to "restore the session" would be to manually go into history and individually open each tab.

See: Restore previous session (Opera Forums)

Originally Posted by cubbie
I've been using Chrome mostly happily ever since, but I am concerned and, I admit, confused, about recent news that Google is going to phase out support of Chrome apps next years. I don't mind if the Chrome app launcher (that little white box on the toolbar) goes away, but does this news mean goodbye to the various apps I've installed from the Chrome webstore and have on my home screen (yes, I'm one of those who hated that Google tried to do away with the apps home screen view and availed myself of a hack to restore it)? Because if Google is following up trying to kill off the favorite apps home screen with killing off the apps themselves, what use will the Chrome webstore be any more to Windows users? It certainly won't drive me out to buy a Chromebook; it'll just drive me back to Firefox.
How much were you using of actual apps? I never fully understood what apps did that couldn't be accomplished by extensions
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
IMHO the biggest app which will be lost when Google kills Chrome apps is Chrome Remote Desktop. I hope they come up with a solution for this before they kill the apps.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I want to like Chrome but I keep coming back to Firefox because I need larger print, not just on the page being viewed but also on the browser menus themselves. I can use Theme & Font Size Changer on Firefox but have not found an equivalent for Chrome.

I use Edge for work things that need Office365.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
IMHO the biggest app which will be lost when Google kills Chrome apps is Chrome Remote Desktop. I hope they come up with a solution for this before they kill the apps.
Good point; it seems irrational for Google to undo the utility of Chrome Remote Desktop. It's a great app. They can't really be thinking that as a result of killing off these apps we'll all go out and buy Chromebooks, can they?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Chrome is just a pig, there's not getting around that.. assuming one has more than about 25 tabs open. Under 25, no flash, script blockers in places, tracker blockers in place it can work fine.. other than that, it's a pig.

What I find funny is that about half of the sites I need to visit on win10/pc and try to use EDGE say "this site cannot be viewed with EDGE open in IE?" So, it's going to take a while till MSFT vision for a thin light browser is revealed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.