Best Browser? (Windows 10)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Best Browser? (Windows 10)

Any thoughts on this?
  • Chrome: I used to use this religiously. But it's so power-hungry and wastes battery, it consumes a ton of CPU, and when running Chrome, especially multiple tabs, the fan gets really loud (even on a Surface Pro 3)
  • Opera: I tried replacing Chrome with Opera. Mostly satisfied. It runs faster and consumes less power. However, there are some basic parts of Chrome that Opera specifically doesn't support. First, I can't restore a session. That's huge because Windows automatically does updates and restarts my device without my knowledge (so I can't just OneTab everything), and unlike in Chrome, there's no "restore session" option. In addition, I don't like that Opera can't sync extensions across devices. I have 2 computers and a smartphone, and while Chrome can sync everything, Opera can't. (There are smaller issues, but mostly I'm happy).
  • Edge: I read a lot about how this wasn't just a new iteration of Internet Explorer and I tend to agree. My issue with Edge is that it doesn't support any extensions at all (which is a huge aspect of browsers today) and some sites (specifically Facebook and FlyerTalk) load strangely every so often.
  • Firefox: Haven't used it in awhile
  • Safari: Haven't used it on Windows I think ever (maybe once or twice) and don't even know if they still support it.
  • Internet Explorer: jk
  • Others: Don't know of anything reputable

So these are my thoughts on the browsers I've used, and curious if people have recommendations of browsers of tweaks to improve my experience.

e.g.
  1. How to use Opera but restore previous session and/or sync extensions
  2. How to get extensions, somehow, on Edge
  3. A browser that works basically like Chrome but for a fraction of the power/battery cost that I didn't mention
  4. Let me know that Firefox does everything I asked for!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Chrome almost exclusively and have never noticed the issues you mention. I suspect you are visiting a page with either some poorly behaved Javascript in an ad or something involving Flash.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Any thoughts on this?
  • Chrome: I used to use this religiously. But it's so power-hungry and wastes battery, it consumes a ton of CPU, and when running Chrome, especially multiple tabs, the fan gets really loud (even on a Surface Pro 3)
  • Opera: I tried replacing Chrome with Opera. Mostly satisfied. It runs faster and consumes less power. However, there are some basic parts of Chrome that Opera specifically doesn't support. First, I can't restore a session. That's huge because Windows automatically does updates and restarts my device without my knowledge (so I can't just OneTab everything), and unlike in Chrome, there's no "restore session" option. In addition, I don't like that Opera can't sync extensions across devices. I have 2 computers and a smartphone, and while Chrome can sync everything, Opera can't. (There are smaller issues, but mostly I'm happy).
  • Edge: I read a lot about how this wasn't just a new iteration of Internet Explorer and I tend to agree. My issue with Edge is that it doesn't support any extensions at all (which is a huge aspect of browsers today) and some sites (specifically Facebook and FlyerTalk) load strangely every so often.
  • Firefox: Haven't used it in awhile
  • Safari: Haven't used it on Windows I think ever (maybe once or twice) and don't even know if they still support it.
  • Internet Explorer: jk
  • Others: Don't know of anything reputable

So these are my thoughts on the browsers I've used, and curious if people have recommendations of browsers of tweaks to improve my experience.

e.g.
  1. How to use Opera but restore previous session and/or sync extensions
  2. How to get extensions, somehow, on Edge
  3. A browser that works basically like Chrome but for a fraction of the power/battery cost that I didn't mention
  4. Let me know that Firefox does everything I asked for!
I stick with Firefox mostly so I can use the NoScript extension. By blocking most scripts pages load fast, the loading doesn't tax your CPU, and other things like session and extension syncing have been part of Firefox for a while.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:30 pm

I use Chrome as I love the synched bookmarks,tabs and speed. It also has extensions like ....... and ....... for Youtube. I don't like IE and have not used Edge. I will give Chrome my highest recommendation for the simplicity of the synching.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I prefer Chrome by a large margin, despite its hungry ways. In fact at home my primary machine is a Chromebook. I like the seamless nature of browsing on all of my devices.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I continue to be quite happy with Firefox.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:56 pm

is there a way to have Chrome automatically restore a session ?

I normally keep way too many windows with too many tabs open and when windows crashes / restarts sometimes chrome does not show the "restore a session." window and its also not in the History dropdown menu by window , so I need to go tab by tab to restore , one at a time.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chrome and Vivaldi meet my needs.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I use Chrome almost exclusively and have never noticed the issues you mention. I suspect you are visiting a page with either some poorly behaved Javascript in an ad or something involving Flash.
Dunno what to tell you. Chrome just seems worse from a battery and CPU perspective, at least for me, but these findings have been mostly confirmed by tech sites (cnet, engadget, pcworld, and techcrunch). Though I've heard Chrome has tried to improve

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I stick with Firefox mostly so I can use the NoScript extension. By blocking most scripts pages load fast, the loading doesn't tax your CPU, and other things like session and extension syncing have been part of Firefox for a while.
What does it do? No negative repercussions for blocking scripts?

Originally Posted by CPRich
I continue to be quite happy with Firefox.
Can Firefox sync across multiple devices (tabs, saved data, extensions)?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Yes
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Used to use Chrome and Firefox now use IXQUICK which doesn't store info about your browsing unlike Google etc.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I still use XMarks, an extension introduced many years ago, but I'm pretty sure it's native in FF today.

EDIT:
Sync a little. Sync a lot.
You choose what parts of your Firefox you want to sync and where you want to sync them. Take your open tabs on your daily commute. Access your bookmarks at work. Whatever, whenever, everywhere.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Chrome running slow

Lately, Chrome has been running very slow at times. I am not sure what was wrong (something running in the background?). Appreciate some suggestion to fix this.

I run Explorer and FF, no such problem!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: Dirt
Chrome's flash plugin has a nasty habit of gobbling up 2-3GB RAM. Press Shift-Esc in Chrome to bring up its task manager. You can kill the misbehaving Shockwave flash plugin, but it will reopen when you visit another flash-enabled web site.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
What does it do? No negative repercussions for blocking scripts?
NoScript is essentially a "blocked-unless-whitelisted" script extension. It is a little bit of a hassle when going to a site for the first time to allow whatever scripts are baseline necessary, but the upside is a fraction of the ads, a fraction of the tracking scripts, and lots of stuff like those "roomkey" offers and pop-unders just don't happen. It is for the privacy control freak for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.