Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Opinion on hotels keyless entry smartphone app?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Advantage member

Have you ever been offered the option of a mobile hotel key - a "key" on your iphone that unlocks your hotel room, and lets you check in and out without going to the front desk? Do you recommend it? Are you more likely to pick a hotel that offers it?

Thanks for the feedback : )
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moving to Travel Technology.

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I haven't tried it yet, but I kind of like the idea of not having to stop at the front desk. It's a small convenience but I don't think it would ever be a deciding factor in where to stay.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've tried it, but it's a little inconvenient in that my experience required that I unlock the phone, open the app, and enable the key. Took much longer than just pulling a keycard out of my pocket. Also, I need to stop by the front desk for my welcome packet (usually just water/snacks and, depending on the hotel and corporate agreement, breakfast vouchers).

Nice to have as an option for those times I forget my key in the room, but wouldn't want that to be the only key I have. One day, I may come around like I did with mobile boarding passes.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
I've used it at the Hilton Minneapolis. Overall I did like it. I checked in online, picked my room and selected digital key. When I arrived at the hotel, the lines were really long for check in - which I could bypass and go directly to my room. Stand within a foot or so of the door and bingo, it unlocked. I was also able to get a "key" later on from the front desk as well - and both the digital key and the traditional key worked my entire visit.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by sweeper20
I've used it at the Hilton Minneapolis. Overall I did like it. I checked in online, picked my room and selected digital key.
Even without using the digital key, I do love being able to pick my own room using the online check-in at Hilton. ^
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used it at a Hilton or two. The online checkin and picking your room is nice, as Low Roller noted.

The digital key feature is nice too, but it is significantly slower than using the physical key. You have to open the app and then wait for it to recognize the lock before you can unlock.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
I love the concept, and I'll admit there was a "wow" factor the first time I unlock my hotel room door with my Apple Watch.

However, I've only used Starwood's keyless technology, and the implementation is extremely buggy. More often than not the keyless access won't work.

There's still a long way to go to make it a smooth, seamless experience.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've used it at a Hilton or two. The online checkin and picking your room is nice, as Low Roller noted.

The digital key feature is nice too, but it is significantly slower than using the physical key. You have to open the app and then wait for it to recognize the lock before you can unlock.
I saved my to passbook and it seemed to be much faster.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would love it. I've seen online ads about it but have yet to stay at a hotel where it would work for me.

I'd love to have the option to use it, especially if I arrive at a hotel when there's a check-in queue. But I'd also like to be able to swing by the front desk later when there's no queue and pick up a regular key. Especially on stays with family where not everyone will have a smartphone with the app on it.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:24 pm

I'm staying at a W that has it, but I haven't bothered. I like to run, and the plastic key weighs a lot less than any smartphone. But I do like the "bypass the queue" concept.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I've tried it, but it's a little inconvenient in that my experience required that I unlock the phone, open the app, and enable the key. Took much longer than just pulling a keycard out of my pocket. Also, I need to stop by the front desk for my welcome packet (usually just water/snacks and, depending on the hotel and corporate agreement, breakfast vouchers).

Nice to have as an option for those times I forget my key in the room, but wouldn't want that to be the only key I have. One day, I may come around like I did with mobile boarding passes.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:44 pm

I have stayed at a couple of Hilton family properties, and I have found some limitations that cause me to not like it very much.

• Limited to one specific cell phone/device - I typically carry 2 cell phones, one for work and one personal. My work phone is linked to my HHonors profile, so that is the one that the Digital Key shows up on. But if I am going out to dinner, or something else after work, I tend to only take my personal phone - so I need to either stop by the desk to get a physical key or remember to take my work phone

• Slow - usually takes 5-10 seconds to recognize that it is in range, and then another 5-10 seconds to unlock... so 10-20 seconds to get through the door, vs 2 seconds with the key

• Doesn't necessarily work with *all* locks/systems - Stayed at a property with a parking garage. got in with no problem, but needed an actual plastic key to get out. Had to back up, park, go back to the desk. (and then remember to take it if I was using my car)

• I know that some people take their cell phone when they go for a run, but I am not one of them. Too heavy, too much opportunity for damage - from drops, moisture, muggings...

All in all, it seems like an idea with promise, but for me it needs to work faster, it needs to work with all systems, and it needs to work with multiple devices simultaneously.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I have stayed at a couple of Hilton family properties, and I have found some limitations that cause me to not like it very much.

• Limited to one specific cell phone/device - I typically carry 2 cell phones, one for work and one personal. My work phone is linked to my HHonors profile, so that is the one that the Digital Key shows up on. But if I am going out to dinner, or something else after work, I tend to only take my personal phone - so I need to either stop by the desk to get a physical key or remember to take my work phone

• Slow - usually takes 5-10 seconds to recognize that it is in range, and then another 5-10 seconds to unlock... so 10-20 seconds to get through the door, vs 2 seconds with the key

• Doesn't necessarily work with *all* locks/systems - Stayed at a property with a parking garage. got in with no problem, but needed an actual plastic key to get out. Had to back up, park, go back to the desk. (and then remember to take it if I was using my car)

• I know that some people take their cell phone when they go for a run, but I am not one of them. Too heavy, too much opportunity for damage - from drops, moisture, muggings...

All in all, it seems like an idea with promise, but for me it needs to work faster, it needs to work with all systems, and it needs to work with multiple devices simultaneously.
Good calls. On the single device thing, I suppose that would mean only one of me or my wife would be able to enable it if we were staying together.

Never even thought of it for a parking garage, but another good call-out.

Finally, I take my phone to the fitness center, but not if I'm just out for a run. For outside runs, I take my driver's license and hotel key card only. No car keys, phone, wallet, cash, etc.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:22 am

It sounds like they still have a few bugs to work out before it becomes more widely used, but it is an interesting development. I love the idea of not having to stop by the front desk on arrival, especially if there is a line, so hopefully they can continue to improve on the concept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.