Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Opinion on hotels keyless entry smartphone app?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinion on hotels keyless entry smartphone app?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've used it at Hilton twice. First hotel they didn't automatically give me access to the lifts (was only needed for high floors, so I suspect they just forgot). Even then, one of the lifts it didn't trigger so couldn't be used.

Other than that the only real issue is speed as mentioned above. It's bad enough for a room, but for a lift the extra few seconds means that difference between it going in the right direction or the wrong one (especially when trying to get from my room on the 11th floor or the lounge on the 12th - and it starts going down as you haven't hit a button yet...)

Going forward I plan to use both - get the digital key, but also a physical key. This way if I happen to leave the key, or if the key stops working for some reason then I'll still be able to get in via the phone without having to go all the way to the front desk. Otherwise, it'll be physical keys all the way...
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
[QUOTE=gobluetwo;2712197
Finally, I take my phone to the fitness center, but not if I'm just out for a run. For outside runs, I take my driver's license and hotel key card only. No car keys, phone, wallet, cash, etc.[/QUOTE]

You should look into RoadID. It fits on your wrist or shoe, and you can have all your medical information or just who to contact. I wear it all the time except when I sleep. It is wonderful if something happens, and you are unable to speak. Of course I have no interest in the company just a happy user.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by LAX-1K
I love the concept, and I'll admit there was a "wow" factor the first time I unlock my hotel room door with my Apple Watch.

However, I've only used Starwood's keyless technology, and the implementation is extremely buggy. More often than not the keyless access won't work.

There's still a long way to go to make it a smooth, seamless experience.
My experience with this feature of Starwood's Android app is similar. I have had to uninstall and reinstall the app at least 2-3 times now. The first time was when I was setting up for keyless access, and the app would not complete the task.

In 2 of the 4 stays where it was offered in the hotel, it never worked. The other 2 eventually worked, with some tweaking, reinstall app, front desk pushed etc. I think because I was trying to use the feature, SPG did give me whatever additional points as if I had used it.

When it works, the phone has to be essentially touching the lock for it to open, much closer than what sweeper20 wrote above about standing within a foot with the HH product.

Picking up on accessing via a smart watch, last year when I was at Walt Disney World, room entry using their band was flawless.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
I have used digital key at several Hilton properties. It totally works! No need to stop at the desk. In conjunction with digital check in, it's wonderful?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
One caveat, when you hit "check out" it is instantaneous. I'm prone to leaving something behind in the room and then thinking about it the moment the door clicks shut.

I door lock is disabled instantly when you check out, and I had to go downstairs to get a physical key to get back in to get my jacket out of the closet.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by milepig
One caveat, when you hit "check out" it is instantaneous. I'm prone to leaving something behind in the room and then thinking about it the moment the door clicks shut.

I door lock is disabled instantly when you check out, and I had to go downstairs to get a physical key to get back in to get my jacket out of the closet.
What hotel group is this for (i.e., Hilton, *Wood)? For my recent Hilton stays, I haven't been able to check out using the app, although I could check in. Perhaps that varies by property or specific brand?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:23 pm

I could see wanting it to avoid a long check-in queue, but I know quite a few irresponsible people who'd end up back at their hotel at the end of the day with a dead phone...then you're stuck.

Re: Hilton's choose-your-room, I've tried this at booking, but have never been given the same room upon arrival.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KRSW
I could see wanting it to avoid a long check-in queue, but I know quite a few irresponsible people who'd end up back at their hotel at the end of the day with a dead phone...then you're stuck.

Re: Hilton's choose-your-room, I've tried this at booking, but have never been given the same room upon arrival.
Having a dead phone is not necessarily a result of irresponsibility.

And I don't think I've ever been given the option to choose a room at booking. At check-in, however, I'm usually given the option and have always received the room I selected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.