Search

Wireless cable TV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:29 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Wireless cable TV

My condo building has a bulk contract with RCN that includes two Tivo DVRs, among other things. In one room, our cable outlet is in a less than ideal spot on the wall. Short of running a wire some 35' around the perimeter of the room to a better spot, is there a way to set it up wirelessly? I guess we'd prefer to have the Tivo connected to the TV via HDMI (which is how it's currently connected), but instead have no cord between the cable outlet and the Tivo. Failing that, we'd be OK having the Tivo close to the cable outlet and then connected wirelessly to the TV. (That seems awkward because it's counter-intuitive to point a remote at the Tivo if it's in a different spot than the TV.)

FWIW, this is a room that's about 18' x 25'. The cable outlet is on a long wall about 3' from the corner. We'd optimally like the TV on the center of the opposite long wall. (Can't put it in the center of the wall it's currently on because there's a fireplace and we don't want it mounted over the fireplace.)
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do make wireless HDMI bridges, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Wir.../dp/B00LSS10PM

I have no experience with them. I would just run the coax cable, and use one that is a similar color to the wall/floor, then tack it down very neatly.

Or remove the baseboard and hide the cable behind/under it.

Or see what would be involved in moving the jack.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Thanks Dave!

I have no experience with them. I would just run the coax cable, and use one that is a similar color to the wall/floor, then tack it down very neatly.

Given that it's a vintage building with fairly ornate molding, two of the walls are exterior masonry walls and one includes a built-in radiator/cover that would be touch to get around/behind, we're loathe to open any walls and really want to avoid having a tacked down cable. There's already a conduit/cord cover that abuts the molding for about 5' and even though the color matches the molding, I find it to be horribly ugly!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:54 pm

Most newer TiVos can use RF remotes, so pointing it at the unit ceases to be an issue.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Most newer TiVos can use RF remotes, so pointing it at the unit ceases to be an issue.
Good to know...thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
What about a wifi booster/extender?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
What about a wifi booster/extender?
I'm not sure I understand, but maybe I don't know exactly what a wifi booster/extender does. I thought it simply got wifi signals to distant parts of the house. How would it work in this case?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by gfunkdave

I tried this device a few months ago and was not impressed. After a couple of weeks experimenting with different locations, the lag and choppiness of the video couldn't be resolved. I even tried having both units within 10 ft. of each other. Still had issues..
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I tried this device a few months ago and was not impressed. After a couple of weeks experimenting with different locations, the lag and choppiness of the video couldn't be resolved. I even tried having both units within 10 ft. of each other. Still had issues..
Good to know...thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'm not sure I understand, but maybe I don't know exactly what a wifi booster/extender does. I thought it simply got wifi signals to distant parts of the house. How would it work in this case?
Your understanding of what a wifi booster/extender does is correct. It's not applicable to your current predicament.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I had a similar problem with my Slingbox when switching from UVerse with a wireless cable box to Comcast where the wired box was put in the living room, but the internet modem was in the bedroom. I now had no place to connect the Slingbox to the internet after plugging into the Comcast cable box.

I bought a NetGear wifi extender with LAN port and joined it to my Comcast wifi signal - then plugged the Slingbox into the LAN port so it could get online, and voila, problem solved.

I'm not techie enough to know if this would apply in your situation or not, but my example is how a wifi extender could be used.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I had a similar problem with my Slingbox when switching from UVerse with a wireless cable box to Comcast where the wired box was put in the living room, but the internet modem was in the bedroom. I now had no place to connect the Slingbox to the internet after plugging into the Comcast cable box.

I bought a NetGear wifi extender with LAN port and joined it to my Comcast wifi signal - then plugged the Slingbox into the LAN port so it could get online, and voila, problem solved.

I'm not techie enough to know if this would apply in your situation or not, but my example is how a wifi extender could be used.
Ah, I get it. Yeah, unfortunately that wouldn't work because the signal is arriving via cable, not internet/wifi.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Incidentally, I use a Tivo in my bedroom and a Tivo Mini in my living room with AC powerline network extender. Since the cable line and recording all is happening on the full tivo, and the mini merely streams via the LAN connection, no coax is necessary in my living room.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Incidentally, I use a Tivo in my bedroom and a Tivo Mini in my living room with AC powerline network extender. Since the cable line and recording all is happening on the full tivo, and the mini merely streams via the LAN connection, no coax is necessary in my living room.
Oh, you may be on to something there. We have three different Tivos...I have to check cable outlet placement in each room to see if that's an option.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Oh, you may be on to something there. We have three different Tivos...I have to check cable outlet placement in each room to see if that's an option.
Keep in mind that you would need to have one TiVo Roamio or Bolt to be the "master" and the others would be TiVo Minis to be the "slaves". Can't just hook up any old TiVo and make it a slave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.