Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Question about noise cancelling Headphones

Question about noise cancelling Headphones

Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
First, decide on ear-buds or over-ear. Should be easy because and most people know what they like already.

Then just go get a set that matches that preference, try them out on your next flight, and mix it up: put them on for 30 mins without the cancelling on, then turn on the cancelling. If you don't like the result, exchange them for another set/type until you settle on the ones you like the best.

I have the QC25s and do NOT fly without them. It is quieter, more relaxing, more peaceful, and easier to ignore "chatty" seatmates.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have both around-ear QC15 and Etymotic hf5 and er6 IEMs. Without going into the sound quality (etymotic runs circles around Bose) the main difference is that while the Bose screens the engine noise very effectively, the Ety's will screen out everything (35-42 db according to the manufacturer) This can be an issue if you want to communicate with the FAs, etc. I use both types, though.

For sleeping I just use the highest rated foam earplugs I can find, at ca 10 cents a pair
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by kbrauneis
Thanks Guys once again for the insights, I usually dont sleep on planes and simply carry earbuds with me but my ears get "sore" from using them so that is why I have considered on getting some over the ear set, I tried a set on and they seem very comfortable, I guess I will buy em and if they are not what I hope then I will sell them down the line.
In terms of the comfort factor...

I also find extended wear of earbuds (especially the "plug" kind which are now ubiquitous) to be uncomfortable. There are some much cheaper non-noise cancelling on-ear (e.g. http://amzn.to/2bjOATj ) and over-ear (e.g. http://amzn.to/2bzI0f2 ) headphones that you could try out to see what is comfortable. Heck, if you're a US-based Amazon prime member, you could probably just order both and return them both once you know which style is more comfortable.

There are also some relatively cheaper noise cancelling ones to see if some level of noise cancellation make a big difference. If you fly a lot, and find active noise cancelling valuable, the Bose models have pretty much got the best noise cancelling and are worth it, but they are pretty expensive.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I have both around-ear QC15 and Etymotic hf5 and er6 IEMs. Without going into the sound quality (etymotic runs circles around Bose) the main difference is that while the Bose screens the engine noise very effectively, the Ety's will screen out everything (35-42 db according to the manufacturer) This can be an issue if you want to communicate with the FAs, etc. I use both types, though.

For sleeping I just use the highest rated foam earplugs I can find, at ca 10 cents a pair
Etymotic are noise isolating, not noise canceling - there is a significant difference, especially as the fit/seal of the earbud in a noise isolating set will determine the overall effect. The best option is a noise canceling earbud with a good seal to add isolation.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:09 pm

i used to do a lot of travel, including to asia every month, with a few companions.
we tried various things to see if we could recover faster.

what we found; any type of noise cancellation headphones, on flights over 4 hours or so, helped tremendously. with some caveats

the in ear ones hurt after about 4 hours or so, so that didnt work that well.
the on the ear type, like one of the bose units, worked fine until people started talking. that style of headphone made that type of noise worse since it blocked the engine drone, essentially magnifying the talking. so they were out.

the over the ear ones did the best job for us, and i still use the bose versions.

one other issue; the battery type. no matter how careful you are, you are going to leave the headphones on accidentally and run the battery down. so make sure you get one that allows you to switch out the battery quickly, and carry a spare or two.
i avoided the latest model bose because you cant recharge the battery while you are wearing it (per bose) so that takes it out of action.

good luck!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Etymotic are noise isolating, not noise canceling - there is a significant difference, especially as the fit/seal of the earbud in a noise isolating set will determine the overall effect. The best option is a noise canceling earbud with a good seal to add isolation.
I am aware of the difference between noise cancelling and noise isolating equipment - but I disagree with you on the "best option" NC earbuds are (IMO) snake oil. If you get up to 40db isolation what else is left to cancel? Meanwhile NC exerts pressure and deteriorate SQ.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
I would concur with what many previous posters have said (easier to fall asleep or to relax, making IFE an overall better experience...) but I would also add that the sleep I get is a better quality one. I always manage to fall asleep in a plane but with the NC headset (currently QC25 but it was the same with my Audio Technica ANC9), I usually feel fresher and more rested than I would do after a nap without those.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am aware of the difference between noise cancelling and noise isolating equipment - but I disagree with you on the "best option" NC earbuds are (IMO) snake oil. If you get up to 40db isolation what else is left to cancel? Meanwhile NC exerts pressure and deteriorate SQ.
I was referring to earbud style noise canceling, which combine active noise canceling with noise isolation (ANC doesn't screen out conversations, screaming babies or snoring). I don't like any over-the-head type of earphone, but noise isolating alone doesn't do it for me even with Comply foam tips for a good seal.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:20 pm

For almost as long as I've been making transatlantic flights I've depending on Etymotic in-ear monitors. The last couple years it's been a pair of HF5's. My only problem is after 2-3 hours my ear canals just can't take it any more (to be precise, my left ear canal which is oddly shaped and very curved).

So for this year's trip I'm adding an over-the-ear noise canceling headset. It's one I picked up in Like New condition from Amazon Warehouse Sales for 60-something dollars. Audio-Technica ANC7B which is an older (2009-ish?) model that runs on one AAA battery and has a wired connection to your phone or music player.

From trying it out at home, the downside is going to be it is very hot, and very tight on my ears. I think 90 minutes without taking a breather would seem very long. But it is pretty effective at blocking all sound even before engaging the noise-cancelling and once I flip the switch to ON any low-mid frequency sounds are almost completely knocked out.

Pretty darned effective, never tried a Bose set so I don't know it compares to the pricey ones. Sound quality is more muffled than harsh so not really objectionable but it won't replace my Etymotics for extended music-listening use. I'm envisioning wearing the HF5's and listening to music to start the flight, pulling them out when my ears get tired and just using the Audio-Technica to muffle the noise for an hour or so then going back to the IEM for some more music.

Neither ear canal plugs or an over-the-ear headset are something I'd want on for an entire 8-9 hour flight.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I started writing this last week, but didn't get a chance to finish.

The question of comfort is relevant for two reasons. First, phones shouldn't be so tight as feel like clamps -- they'll produce headaches. This is also why on-ear phones are problematic, as they push down on the ears.

However, the other reason relates to acoustic sealing, and also implicates the specific type of phones. Acoustic leakage can and will be very annoying to other passengers. Accordingly, you want phones that seal well without causing pain. You also want closed-back phones, rather than open-back phones. As a rule, cheap phones (1) often are open-back, (2) have significant acoustic leakage, and (3) are not comfortable for long use. I've used a variety of phones over the years, but the most comfortable, the most effective at acoustic sealing, and the best at noise cancelling are the Bose QC line, though only th over ear, rather than on-ear, models. I routinely wear my Bose (currently the QC25) for the entire duration of a trans-pac flight -- as long as 16 hours -- without significant discomfort. They also have reasonable acoustic leakage characteristics, i.e. they won't disturb neighboring pax, and reasonably good sound quality. In my view, they represent the best compromise for active NC and audio on a plane.

I also have a set of Etymotics. I do sometimes use them on short flights (90 minutes or less), but they do get uncomfortable and their bass response is lacking compared to phones.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Agree on the Bose models. I think the QC35s are the most comfortable over-ear headphones I've ever used. Not that older models were bad, but they would get uncomfortable after 8-10 hours.

The in-ear Q20s are actually what I usually carry when flying long haul, especially in biz/first class. I sleep best on my sides, so rolling over from my back to my side can't really happen with over-ear headphones, but I can get comfortable with the QC20s.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
In my view, they represent the best compromise for active NC and audio on a plane.

I also have a set of Etymotics. I do sometimes use them on short flights (90 minutes or less), but they do get uncomfortable and their bass response is lacking compared to phones.
I have to agree with you on Bose being a good compromise. They have a very good (best?) active NC and, let's admit, mediocre sound quality. But an airplane is not a listening room, so mediocre SQ might be good enough. But once you leave the plane the SQ is not good enough, you'll start to hear the noise introduced by the ANC, etc. I have the QC15 which only works with ANC on.

I prefer noise isolating - Etymotic. I have had their medium range products for many years (er6, er6i, hf3, hf5) No issues with bass (just insert correctly), with the right tips they are comfy and the outside world just disappears (which is why I rarely dare to use them while biking). Pair this with top of the class SQ, minuscule size, no batteries...
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:51 pm

I have to agree with you on Bose being a good compromise. They have a very good (best?) active NC and, let's admit, mediocre sound quality. But an airplane is not a listening room, so mediocre SQ might be good enough. But once you leave the plane the SQ is not good enough, you'll start to hear the noise introduced by the ANC, etc. I have the QC15 which only works with ANC on.

I prefer noise isolating - Etymotic. I have had their medium range products for many years (er6, er6i, hf3, hf5) No issues with bass (just insert correctly), with the right tips they are comfy and the outside world just disappears (which is why I rarely dare to use them while biking). Pair this with top of the class SQ, minuscule size, no batteries...
I use my hf5's for daily listening while walking between my car and office and some times while at work. They don't sound as open and marvelous as a $600 Sennseiser headphone but that sound better than mediocre headphones. And it's amazing how much less stressful a doctor's waiting room is when you listen to music instead of the inane babble of the television they have blaring.

These inexpensive Audio Technica noise cancelling 'phones aren't remotely in the same league. But they're not quite as oddball sounding as Boss tends to make their products. None of the NC products are going to hold a candle to even the mid-fi Ety range which are designed as best as possible to sound like honest music reproduction.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:58 pm

i have sonys that i got from costco, i like them a lot. cheaper than bose and just as good cancelling the noise
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by patpatpatme
i have sonys that i got from costco, i like them a lot. cheaper than bose and just as good cancelling the noise
What is the model number?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.