Question about noise cancelling Headphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about noise cancelling Headphones

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:11 pm

I did get a set of Bose QC20

Sick of the Path/subway train (very noisy, compared to subways in asian cities), and my existing sony NC earbuds are isolation-ear-plug style that aren't comfortable (prefer Bose stayhear style)

QC20 is definitely eerily quiet (sometimes too quiet). Walked past an outdoor concert in midtown (one of those GMA/today show ones), they were able to cancel out a lot of noise. didn't test the mike performance though

used velcro to "tape" the battery pack to the back of my phone

with NC turned off, sound still works, but is muddier... probably want to keep NC turned on when I listen to music

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 7, 2016 at 7:32 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:01 am

I never much considered NC until I took a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon and we were given Bose headsets with mics attached. The difference between having them on and off was eye-opening.

I fly quiet often and occasionally take the subway in Manhattan or work in an area with a noisy air conditioner, and this was about the time the QC35s came out, so I made the investment.

I've been very impressed with them and on flights, they make a remarkable difference to me. The sound is pretty good for listening to music/media, and the mic works well for conversations over the phone.

Having used them, I can't imagine how I could have survived without them on a flight.

And there's something about the design that does allow me to sleep on my side in business class over a pillow -- the padding is so soft I can lay my head sideways without an issue.

My only complaint is the long monologue the system goes through when you start them up and they're searching for all of the paired devices.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Anyone got more info. on the release date for the Bose QC30's. I know it was widely published as being September but an email regarding the date has not elicited a response from Bose and an internet search only revealed th initial announcement in June/July.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:37 am

I love NC headsets, but have always had the 'on-ear' variety. Over-ear are too hot, sweaty and bulky (though I do own a pair), and while I would LOVE to love in-ear, the ones that I have tried (all cheap) make my ears sore after any amount of time.

Are there any that are worth the price risk which are particularly comfortable or good for 'sensitive' ears? They would be WAY easier to carry and (hopefully) walk and run with as well.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk
I love NC headsets, but have always had the 'on-ear' variety. Over-ear are too hot, sweaty and bulky (though I do own a pair), and while I would LOVE to love in-ear, the ones that I have tried (all cheap) make my ears sore after any amount of time.

Are there any that are worth the price risk which are particularly comfortable or good for 'sensitive' ears? They would be WAY easier to carry and (hopefully) walk and run with as well.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
have you actually tried the bose stayhear tips (it's used across almost all of bose's line, even non-NC buds like soundsport)

(QC20's version is stayhear+, which includes an additional flap to block more noise,, but it's stilll comfortable)
stayhear+:https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...plus-tips.html
stayhear: https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...ips-small.html

you can probably find a demo pair at a local electronics shop

just remember that most NC requires an additional power source(external battery pack) that hangs off the wire.

look at stuff like QC30 (neckband holds the battery pack), or if you have a usb type-C phone/iPhone(lighting connector)
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-...phones-686125/
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:44 pm

Thanks - I'll try that when I find a good shop.

Dr. PITUK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.