TMO New Unlimited Data Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TMO New Unlimited Data Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Well as soon as they get rid of the lower pricing I'll switch back to att. I'll go with whichever carrier that offers me the lowest cost that meets my needs. I don't need more than 2GB per line.
Same for me, except I also need the int'l roaming.

Anyone know if you to AT&T with your own equipment, so you still have to do a 2-year contract?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Same for me, except I also need the int'l roaming.

Anyone know if you to AT&T with your own equipment, so you still have to do a 2-year contract?
There is no service contract on AT&T anymore. There is only equipment payment plan if you do not own the phone. But Int'l roaming is expansive though except for Mexico which is free.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If they make the $70 One plan the price of entry into TMob postpaid, they will lose a lot of customers.

It will be hard to walk away from the international data roaming but I'll do it unless they make it high-speed roaming like they did in July and August, but with tethering at 2G speeds, it would be kind of pointless too.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
If they make the $70 One plan the price of entry into TMob postpaid, they will lose a lot of customers.

It will be hard to walk away from the international data roaming but I'll do it unless they make it high-speed roaming like they did in July and August, but with tethering at 2G speeds, it would be kind of pointless too.
We're all pretty sure here that if you are an existing customer, you'll be grandfathered in. This is only for new potential customers, and it sounds like there is already some back-pedaling.

So they shouldn't lose customers, just slow down the rate of accumulating new customers.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by dtsm
From WSJ: In the new plan, a family with four phones would pay $160 a month. T-Mobile said its most popular family package previously offered four lines for $120 a month with speeds slowed after six gigabytes of use per device. The new plan will be available Sept. 6. Existing T-Mobile customers can keep their current plans.
The old family plan is a better deal, at least for some of us.

The "unlimited" doesn't include includes a very limited amount of tethering, and includes lower bitrate video. I'm on the old promotional 4x 10GB for $120/month, and the new "unlimited" is a hugely worse deal for me.

Fortunately, I can keep the plan until my son is old enough to need his own line, which is probably 3-4 years off at the earliest -- right now we've got 4 lines because it was literally cheaper to get this than the old plan we had was going to be with 3 -- the 4th line is a spare until my daughter needs one.

Odds are there will be yet another batch of new plans long before then.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:46 pm

I stopped by my local T-Mobile store yesterday and they assured me I could keep my Simple Choice plan ($60 with 3 GB of data). It is more than enough for me. I don't need to give them another 10.00 a month for something I won't use.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
The old family plan is a better deal, at least for some of us.
I'm in total agreement. For the past 10 years we've had a family plan with 4-lines, currently including 3 lines each with 2.5.gb of data, 1 with unlimited data, calling abroad from USA (TMO stateside international promo for $10/account), and 2 cellular data for iPads with limited of 200 mb/month. Total bill with tax $150.

I'm waiting for the dust to clear before calling to verify we can maintain existing plans - primary concern is the 4th line with unlimited data, which currently costs an additional $30/month. I'm assuming no change although TMO in their formal announcement 'reserved the right' to eliminate grandfathered plans.......

The added advantage of this grandfathered plan is the ability to add a 5th, 6th or 7th line for additional $10/month. Again not sure how they'll treat this should the need arise.

Last edited by dtsm; Aug 19, 2016 at 8:12 pm
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
uch! I have 10 or 11 lines on my account. This would more than double my bill. None of the lines go over our current 2gb limit.
Then don't switch.

I just browsed the site and they said pretty clearly they aren't making anybody switch plans. If you like your plan, you can keep it. In fact, for the most part they will continue to sell all their existing plans except for simple choice unlimited.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 20, 2016 at 5:55 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Then don't switch.

I just browsed the site and they said pretty clearly they aren't making anybody switch plans. If you like your plan, you can keep it. In fact, for the most part they will continue to sell all their existing plans except for simple choice unlimited.
I have no plans to switch. My main cncern was what happens if I have to add another line. In the past I'd had problems in making certain changes to my account after the plan I was on was no longer current. In this case it seems they have clarified that the current plans are not going away.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:33 am

This situation feels similar to the healthcare debate to me.

Insurers/governments say: One price for all! All you need! No matter how much you need!

or T-Mobile says: One price for all the data you can use!

Then the low-utilization crowd (healthcare: young and healthy; cell users: low data consumers) say: Why should I pay more so he can get healthcare/data?

You could argue that it works in healthcare since it's an insurance program (not trying to provoke a debate - just trying to point on the comparison to cell providers).

But can you argue that spreading risks and costs among cell users is the right thing to do?

I don't see it in the cell world.

Which may be why it appears to be failing already.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
This situation feels similar to the healthcare debate to me.

Insurers/governments say: One price for all! All you need! No matter how much you need!

or T-Mobile says: One price for all the data you can use!

Then the low-utilization crowd (healthcare: young and healthy; cell users: low data consumers) say: Why should I pay more so he can get healthcare/data?

You could argue that it works in healthcare since it's an insurance program (not trying to provoke a debate - just trying to point on the comparison to cell providers).

But can you argue that spreading risks and costs among cell users is the right thing to do?

I don't see it in the cell world.

Which may be why it appears to be failing already.
I think it would be more acceptable if, say, 5-10GB of LTE tethering was provided free with the plan and if disabling Binge On didn't cost money. Possibly just the tethering depending on the person.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Check your accounts.

On the T-Mobile app. on my iPhone, it says my data is unlimited. It's suppose to be 3 GB a month with about 8.5 GB data stash.

Hope it's just an error in the app.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
Check your accounts.

On the T-Mobile app. on my iPhone, it says my data is unlimited. It's suppose to be 3 GB a month with about 8.5 GB data stash.

Hope it's just an error in the app.
I'm getting "Unfortunately the T-Mobile App is not available at this time due to technical difficulties" when I open it, so that's probably the case.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:17 pm

Mine shows my 2.5GB, halfway through the cycle, with no phone over 1.1GB used.

Quite content with 2.5GB.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:54 am

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...mited-data/#p3

no, they aren't ending all cheaper plans, just unlimited, and I'm guessing only for new signups.

But the article lists all the restrictions and caps that I didn't see listed on t-mo's pages.
Most have been discussed here, but not all. e.g., after 26GB, you can be throttled at congested towers.
-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.