Search

Email address blocked by Spamhaus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Email address blocked by Spamhaus

Hi

I've just been told that my email address is blocked by Spamhaus?

I tried to send an email, and got an automated response saying my email address is blocked! Incidentally this email is to an airline customer relations department.

Anyway what the h*ll do I do?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:38 am

custom domain name, or using free provider like gmail/yahoo/...?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:45 am

Spamhaus don't block email addresses, they block IP addresses.

It will be your SMTP servers that's blocked.

Who is your provider? Are you able to find out the IP address of the SMTP server? (You can do this by emailing yourself and looking at the full headers).

Once you have found out your IP address you can go to spamhaus.org and run it through their IP address checker for more information.

PM me if you need any help. I deal with this sort of thing all the time...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
I use gmail, and the auto reply specifically says email blocked!

I will pm later! Thank you all!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Just to clarify for anyone else... Spamhaus doesn't block anything. They Publish a list of known IPs they believe to be spammers.

The recipient party then chooses to subscribe to SpamHaus and decides what action to take (block, tag, etc) on an email coming from an address listed by Spamhaus.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Aviatrix

It will be your SMTP servers that's blocked.
True. Another thing to be aware of is that your email server may not be what you think it is, depending on your location and how you have your email client configured. You say that you use gmail. If you use an email client rather than the web interface, and have your outgoing SMTP server set up to not use authentication, then your Internet service provider could be hijacking your outgoing mail connections that you think are going to gmail. For example, you could be in a hotel, and while you're there, your outgoing mail is intercepted by the hotel's email server without your knowledge. Why some providers do this is beyond me, but if such a provider is being used by others to send spam, that's how it can get on the Spamhaus list and affect your email even though you have a gmail address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.