Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing a new US mobile carrier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
My big issue with T-Mobile was that it won't roam onto AT&T in areas T-Mo thinks they serve.
Wi-Fi Calling helps a fair bit with those issues, I've found. I own a prepaid Verizon hotspot which my iPhone 6S will work with for the few times I need to make a phone call in such an area. (Of course, I'd probably just use Verizon for my primary line if that was more often than once or twice a year or so.)
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Wi-Fi Calling helps a fair bit with those issues, I've found. I own a prepaid Verizon hotspot which my iPhone 6S will work with for the few times I need to make a phone call in such an area. (Of course, I'd probably just use Verizon for my primary line if that was more often than once or twice a year or so.)
It helps when the area T-Mo thinks they serve is my parents' house. Less so when the area in question is a forest

It was worth dealing with it when T-Mo was significantly cheaper than the competition (the famous $30/5g plan in 2012 was a truly phenomenal deal), but when I can pay $5/mo extra and get AT&T or Verizon via one of the MVNOs, it doesn't make sense anymore.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Consumer Cellular - no contract, bring your own unlocked phone and choose your level of service. Uses the Verizon network. It's been great so far - $45/ mo for two lines with shared data.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Consumer Cellular - no contract, bring your own unlocked phone and choose your level of service. Uses the Verizon network. It's been great so far - $45/ mo for two lines with shared data.
Consumer Cellular uses the AT&T network.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
, but when I can pay $5/mo extra and get AT&T or Verizon via one of the MVNOs, it doesn't make sense anymore.
Who is the best value for a Verizon MVNO ?

and does Verizon, At+T , T mobile throttle down MVNO data speed or give priority to the full price customers ?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:58 am

I have T-mobile. There are parts of WI where it is useless. The Dells, Adams Co., Boscobel, Minacqua, etc. I don't mind because those are places I go to 'get away'. But if you live around there, it won't work well at all.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Who is the best value for a Verizon MVNO ?

and does Verizon, At+T , T mobile throttle down MVNO data speed or give priority to the full price customers ?
Probably the best deal for a Verizon MVNO is Total Wireless, $35/mo for 5gb. All Verizon MVNOs are throttled to 5mbps down and 2mbps up. I'm using Total right now and can't say the throttling is noticeable except when sending or receiving e-mails full of high-res photos. For browsing the web, Google Maps, playing on facebook, streaming music, etc. it makes no difference. Verizon's own prepaid is not throttled, but it costs $45/mo for 3gb.

AT&T doesn't throttle their MVNOs (though Cricket is throttled to 8mbps down), nor does T-Mobile.

The networks' own customers do have higher priority, so MVNOs' users will see speed slide first when the network gets congested.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Will not go back to Android.
I use both iOS and Android. You have NOT tried android until you have tried Pure stock Android on a Nexus. I would also NEVER go back to a samsung with it's Bloatware and lack of updates.

That said, before switching to Project Fi I was very happy with T-Mo on my iPhone 6s+. The only reason I switched was I got spoiled by the Summer Unleashed (unthrottled unlimited data roaming in Europe) and Fi offers that everywhere indefinitely.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I use both iOS and Android. You have NOT tried android until you have tried Pure stock Android on a Nexus. I would also NEVER go back to a samsung with it's Bloatware and lack of updates.

That said, before switching to Project Fi I was very happy with T-Mo on my iPhone 6s+. The only reason I switched was I got spoiled by the Summer Unleashed (unthrottled unlimited data roaming in Europe) and Fi offers that everywhere indefinitely.
I have a Nexus I used for a while. Won't go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.