Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Please share your suggestions for buying a new 2 in 1 laptop

Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter

I'm ready to buy a new laptop, and I am leaning toward getting a 2 in 1 that can be used as a touchscreen tablet.
I'm looking for one that is 14" or larger. A screen smaller than that is too hard for me to read (I'm near sighted).
I also want to keep the price under $1000 as this will be a secondary computer for me with my desktop remaining my primary. I will mostly use it while traveling and while moving around my house.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
FWIW I just got one of these from the Microcenter here in Denver for a bit over $500:

Lenovo Flex 3 15.6" 2-in-1 Laptop Computer Factory Refurbished - Black; Intel Core i7-6500U Processor 2.5GHz; Microsoft Windows 10; 8GB RAM; 1TB Hard Drive

My second Lenovo.

So far I really like it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There was a Yoga 700 (14" FHD display) at the Lenovo Outlet for $580-ish yesterday. i5 Skylake, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and even a dedicated graphics card. I was really tempted to pull the trigger. It might be overkill for your needs, but it was a very good price.

Edited to add: it's not there anymore, but I would keep checking there. http://outlet.lenovo.com -- filter by Series = Yoga.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might get more responses in the "Travel Technology" forum.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
I just bought a new Lenovo Yoga 710 for $799. I did not shop carefully, just had a "dead" Toshiba Satellite and a rare spare hour to go to BestBuy, walked out 30 minutes later with my new computer. I am pleased with it.

Above points well-taken. You might get more response in Travel Technology, and you can probably get a better deal by comparison shopping.

ETA: I made a deliberate decision not to buy another Toshiba, as quality has deteriorated.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Bonehead
You might get more responses in the "Travel Technology" forum.
We agree and are moving this thread to same.

Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
ETA: I made a deliberate decision not to buy another Toshiba, as quality has deteriorated.
I apologize if I hacked this thread, but curious to know your experience with Toshiba and what makes you say that the quality has deteriorated? The reason I ask is I had a Dell XPS ultrabook just recently and the installed software kept acting up and the hardware kept going bad and I purchased it brand new. Thankfully, I was able to get a brand new replacement and eventually sold it. Might consider Lenovo. Not sure how the Surface is as well as brands like ASUS, HP, Acer, etc.

I had a Toshiba years ago, meh. It was slow.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Microsoft Surface. Nothing else even comes close. Some good deals on Surface Pro 4 lately
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by maortega15
I apologize if I hacked this thread, but curious to know your experience with Toshiba and what makes you say that the quality has deteriorated?

I had a Toshiba years ago, meh. It was slow.
My comment was specific to my Toshiba Satellite. It was the 4th one I had owned and the first three were reliable and indestructible, replaced only because I wanted a newer laptop.

The last one "died" at less than two years, Windows just quit operating - no damage that I was aware of such as dropping, spilling liquids, etc. .

I took it in for repair, got the story that it needed 2 weeks at the factory, pricey repair, etc. I decided I wasn't going to deal with Toshiba any more, at which point the Geek Squad guy said "good decision," they'd seen too many problems recently.

I had similar criteria to OP - under $1,000, lightweight touchscreen for personal use, as work provides my desktop and barely luggable Dell laptop. The 2 in 1 is great for watching movies without getting gunk in the keypad, though I don't use the tablet function much.

Not having researched in advance, I just checked out the laptop section at Best Buy, found 3 or 4 that fit my criteria, and liked the Yoga best.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msp3
Microsoft Surface. Nothing else even comes close....
Pourquoi?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
I just bought a new Lenovo Yoga 710 for $799. I did not shop carefully, just had a "dead" Toshiba Satellite and a rare spare hour to go to BestBuy, walked out 30 minutes later with my new computer. I am pleased with it.

Above points well-taken. You might get more response in Travel Technology, and you can probably get a better deal by comparison shopping.

Thanks, the Lenovo 710-15 seems to be close to what I want.
The Surface is too small for me. I need at least a 14 inch. My current laptop is a 17.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by onthego15
The Surface is too small for me. I need at least a 14 inch. My current laptop is a 17.
14-15" is large enough that it's going to be a very unwieldy tablet; why not just get another 15 or 17" laptop, plus a low-cost 2-in-1 for primarily tablet use?

Given the cost of the better premium 2-in-1s, it might not be any more expensive.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Fujitsu makes some outstanding 2-in-1 machines, including terrific displays with rugged dependability. I have bought them for my girls since they came on the market, although the long life means that we are only on our second one for each.

http://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/...ng/pc/tablets/

I am not sure that Fujitsu is aiming for the consumer market with these, as they are equipped and priced more for the corporate environment, but if you can afford it, they are worth the price of admission.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I picked up a Lenovo 710-15 at Best Buy last night. It helped that I had the AMEX offer for $25 off $250 on 3 cards, so I saved $75 off of $799. I have 15 days to see if I like it. Main thing for me is to see if I'm comfortable looking at the screen. Quality is very good, size is a touch smaller than my 17 inch. But since I can fold up the keyboard and use it as a tablet, I will probably be happy with it.

As I said above, a smaller screen and smaller laptop is a definite no for me. I did own an 11 inch tablet a couple years ago, I didn't use it for long before I passed it on to some friends.
710-15 weighs 4.2 pounds, which seems reasonable for me. I do own a laptop table.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:52 pm

How is Lenovo as a brand when it comes to quality and durability? Never tried them so I'm curious to know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.