Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Buying from Apple website - unlock vs. carrier-specific?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

Is there any difference between if I buy a carrier-specific iPhone or an unlocked iPhone from Apple.com? I am on Verizon now but may switch to T-Mobile in the future. I will also use the phone with international SIMs when traveling.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:28 pm

Yes, there can be a slight band support difference other than it coming with a carrier specific sim card.

For Verizon to T-Mobile, currently sold Verizon iPhone's are all unlocked. That's no problem. Sometimes the sku on the unlocked iPhone is the Sprint sku, though, which can include different LTE band support. The SE is a good example of taking a hard look at which sku you want, as the Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile model lacks band 7 which is widely used in Europe.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I recall Sprint used to carrier lock their iPhones, AT&T might depending on different plan subsidies. This might be outdated info, though.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Then will it make a difference if I buy a Verizon phone through Apple or through Verizon? The reason I ask is because I get a corporate discount for hard products through Apple, but plans through Verizon/T Mobile.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Then will it make a difference if I buy a Verizon phone through Apple or through Verizon? The reason I ask is because I get a corporate discount for hard products through Apple, but plans through Verizon/T Mobile.
None. That phone could have ended up at a Verizon retail store instead of an Apple store (or shipping centre.) Same device, just a different retailer.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:01 am

The price for all iPhones directly from apple is the same.

All sim free devices from apple are factory unlocked and can be activated on any network. You can pop in a ATT or TMO sim and away you go. Vz needs to be activated by either OTA or store.

Carrier specific may, repeat may require you getting prior permission to unlock. So if you buy a ATT device, it may not work with TMO without first getting unlocked by ATT.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:24 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

But since VZW phones are all unlocked and are not a PITA when it comes to bands/CDMA, I can just buy a VZW phone and know that it'll work on other carriers, right?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But since VZW phones are all unlocked and are not a PITA when it comes to bands/CDMA, I can just buy a VZW phone and know that it'll work on other carriers, right?
Are you talking domestic or international? The Verizon and T-Mobile iPhone 6s is the same model, has the same bands. T-Mobile is fairly good about doing an unlock for you after 40 days of continuous use if you need a SIM unlock. (Their international rates are also fairly inexpensive as it is.)

If you're going to get the 6, the Sprint/US Cellular version is the one that you want, as it is used by the largest number of carriers.

For the SE you'll want the... well, the not-Sprint one has the most domestic bands, but the Sprint one is used most outside of the US.

An iPhone is extremely easy to unlock once the carrier authorises the unlock. Basically you just need to plug it into iTunes and it will do its thing. Probably going to have to do a restart. When I changed from USCC to T-MObile, I sent in the request and a week later I synced the phone and it was done. Put in my T-Mo sim card, it pulled a carrier update and that was that.

If you're with Verizon now, and thinking T-Mobile down the road, just get the Verizon one now. If you're going to port to T-Mobile now, then get the T-Mobile one and in September request a SIM unlock. (You should be able to do this via even Facebook or Twitter.)
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by freecia
Yes, there can be a slight band support difference other than it coming with a carrier specific sim card.

For Verizon to T-Mobile, currently sold Verizon iPhone's are all unlocked. That's no problem. Sometimes the sku on the unlocked iPhone is the Sprint sku, though, which can include different LTE band support. The SE is a good example of taking a hard look at which sku you want, as the Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile model lacks band 7 which is widely used in Europe.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I recall Sprint used to carrier lock their iPhones, AT&T might depending on different plan subsidies. This might be outdated info, though.
I thought only the 4.7inch iphone lacks all the bands and the plus has it? Not talking about the SE, rather the S and S plus.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:02 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Are you talking domestic or international? The Verizon and T-Mobile iPhone 6s is the same model, has the same bands. T-Mobile is fairly good about doing an unlock for you after 40 days of continuous use if you need a SIM unlock. (Their international rates are also fairly inexpensive as it is.)

If you're going to get the 6, the Sprint/US Cellular version is the one that you want, as it is used by the largest number of carriers.

For the SE you'll want the... well, the not-Sprint one has the most domestic bands, but the Sprint one is used most outside of the US.

An iPhone is extremely easy to unlock once the carrier authorises the unlock. Basically you just need to plug it into iTunes and it will do its thing. Probably going to have to do a restart. When I changed from USCC to T-MObile, I sent in the request and a week later I synced the phone and it was done. Put in my T-Mo sim card, it pulled a carrier update and that was that.

If you're with Verizon now, and thinking T-Mobile down the road, just get the Verizon one now. If you're going to port to T-Mobile now, then get the T-Mobile one and in September request a SIM unlock. (You should be able to do this via even Facebook or Twitter.)
Both domestic and international, but domestic is more important. Also it'll be for the iPhone 7.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by ewrfox
I thought only the 4.7inch iphone lacks all the bands and the plus has it? Not talking about the SE, rather the S and S plus.
Comparing the 6S, band 30 is supported for AT&T model but not Sprint.
https://www.frequencycheck.com/compa...phone-6s-a1633

For the iPhone 6, LTE bands 38-41. I'd consider 40 and 41 to be nice to have for Asia and Australia. 41 is good for Sprint if you're on Sprint or Sprint MVNO.
https://www.frequencycheck.com/compa...iphone-6-a1586

ETA: Full coverage in China... China's a different mobile market with specific CDMA + LTE frequency/bands. I suspect those who are visiting China often for work have work issued phones or could pick up a pretty good mid-range dual sim Android for half/quarter of the price of an iPhone.

Last edited by freecia; Jul 26, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ewrfox
With the 6s they're all pretty much the same. i.e. the 6s+ vs the 6s you're only getting screen and camera changes.

Both domestic and international, but domestic is more important. Also it'll be for the iPhone 7.
No one knows what the specs are on the iPhone 7. Things seem to change up a bit with each generation.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:31 pm

Yes.

Earlier this year, bought my SE from apple, sim free. Worked on TMO immediately. Switched to Vz just to test, no problems. Went to Asia, inserted post paid HK and Thailand sim, both worked perfectly.

The upcoming 7 should be the same.....
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The following applies to 6s and 6s+:

*ANY* phone you can buy directly from Apple today is factory unlocked. That includes both carrier-specific models and no-carrier models. The only difference is that the carrier-specific models include the carrier's SIM in the box, and the AT&T-specific one supports an obscure AT&T-specific LTE band that you would barely miss as an AT&T customer, and which has no impact whatsoever in any other situation.

If you buy an iPhone from a US carrier other than Verizon, chances are it will be locked. I know from personal experience that T-Mobile's iPhone 6s and 6s+ are locked (but T-Mobile is pretty good about unlocking them).

Plus, a given model is the same price from Apple or any of the carriers. The only reasons to buy from a carrier are availability, deals or financing you might get based on your carrier's policies, etc.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:17 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

If I buy a VZW iPhone, regardless of from VZW or Apple directly, do I just swap my current VZW SIM into the new phone and use, or is there something I need to do to activate the new phone's SIM and disable the old one?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:46 am

If I buy a VZW iPhone, regardless of from VZW or Apple directly, do I just swap my current VZW SIM into the new phone and use, or is there something I need to do to activate the new phone's SIM and disable the old one?
Need new Vz sim if planning to use with Vz domestic and/or international. As mentioned earlier, can also pop in any third party carrier to use at anytime (before or after Vz activation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.