Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bose warranty change?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Bose warranty change?

I called bose the other day since my qc20i's were acting up and out of warranty. I heard all the stories of people saying $89 for a "trade in" if you were out of warranty.

I called two stores AND the official support line and they told me it's $189. One of the stores said it's a new policy (though you know how store reps are)

Anyone else see this, or am I just unlucky?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:24 pm

Yes. Secondhand from my co-worker who spoke to Bose customer service 2 days ago, the Bose warranty has been tightened earlier this week. I don't have more specifics than that but definitely not just you.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Angry

Originally Posted by freecia
Yes. Secondhand from my co-worker who spoke to Bose customer service 2 days ago, the Bose warranty has been tightened earlier this week. I don't have more specifics than that but definitely not just you.
AFAIK it happened on Monday. The biggest selling point IMO was that the stuff works, and when it doesn't you're a phone call and 2 or 3 days away from having it work.

I CAN'T recommend bose to friends anymore :/
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by eeeaddict
The biggest selling point IMO was that the stuff works, and when it doesn't you're a phone call and 2 or 3 days away from having it work.
Did something else change that you didn't post?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Did something else change that you didn't post?
No, the quality probably won't change but it's VERY hard to justify $300 for headphones + tax (13% where I am)

Knowing no matter what you'll be covered and $100 fee to upgrade in 3 years made things a lot easier to swallow!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, I must have lucked out. I contacted them via Twitter and they swapped out my qc20 at no charge at 15 months.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
That's unfortunate.

I'm on my fourth pair of QC25s. The first time I snapped off a cable connector when forgetting to disconnect the headset before exiting a JetBlue flight (and the store just replaced the entire package since they didn't have a cable), but the other two replacements were legitimate situations where the headphones crapped out for reasons I don't know. All of the replacements were less than 12 months since the last replacement, but it's unfortunate to know that it's getting more strict.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Knowing no matter what you'll be covered and $100 fee to upgrade in 3 years made things a lot easier to swallow!
So do you now understand why they had to change this policy?

This is why we can't have nice things.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
So do you now understand why they had to change this policy?

This is why we can't have nice things.
The damn headphones cost $400! The production cost is likely around $50 end to end for them! This isn't like audio technica where you get a well made pair for $100....
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Wow, I must have lucked out. I contacted them via Twitter and they swapped out my qc20 at no charge at 15 months.
how long ago was that?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
how long ago was that?
Three weeks maybe.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:00 pm

The damn headphones cost $400! The production cost is likely around $50 end to end for them! This isn't like audio technica where you get a well made pair for $100....
The production cost for the QC25 was more like $31.

However, you're not buying the sum of those parts the the cost of labor to assemble them. You're buying the technology behind it.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:43 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
However, you're not buying the sum of those parts the the cost of labor to assemble them. You're buying the technology behind it.
And the word "Bose" costs a lot too.

(I'm on my 2nd pair.)
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
The production cost for the QC25 was more like $31.

I know there is more than the production cost. It's just annoying that now you CAN'T replace the battery meaning they will be useless in a few years of heavy use.

Before, that would be OK considering it wouldn't cost too much to get the "repaired" / replaced.

Now they expect me (and others) to pay OVER $500 Canadian, and not have the confidence that if I have any issues with warranty will be hassle free?

Call it "abuse" but I originally bought the QC2's and when they got worn out after a few years my upgrade cycle cost me $100 for each new pair. This was a great deal but now I'll probably drop bose once my qc25's die
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dtc
And the word "Bose" costs a lot too.

(I'm on my 2nd pair.)
Well, the word Bose costing was justified by the trading up feature. I bought a used Bose QC3 in 2007 , exchanged it sometimes free sometimes for $100 when it broke then upgraded to the QC15 for the famous $100. Already for the QC 25 they wanted more than $100 and I think my next headphones simply won't be Bose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.