Search

Outlook calendar oddity

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Outlook calendar oddity

This was driving me crazy at work since no one else was experiencing the same thing.

In 2013 at least:

there are two ways to open a new meeting template, and mine were always being sent to people with the meeting time showing as "free" and everyone else was sending them as 'busy".

Turns out that there are two ways to open a new meeting:

When you click on "new meeting" on the top bar it opens with the default of "busy", but when you double-click on the calendar to open a new meeting it defaults to "free." I seem to be the only one who was using the double-click option.

There seems to be no way to change this behavior.

Last edited by milepig; Jul 22, 2016 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weird. I've never seen that (and can't reproduce it). I'm using Office 2016.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Weird. I've never seen that (and can't reproduce it). I'm using Office 2016.
Update - I had more people try it via the double-click method, and for some it opens as "busy" and for others as "free." Still haven't found any place this is set.

I'd forgotten that we'd upgraded, we're on 2013, not 2010. Changed in the OP.

Last edited by milepig; Jul 22, 2016 at 10:37 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
If I double-click on the very top bar of the calendar (which creates an all-day event), it defaults to free. If I double-click on a time slot in the calendar to create a meeting, it defaults to busy. Is that what's causing your issue?

Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
If I double-click on the very top bar of the calendar (which creates an all-day event), it defaults to free. If I double-click on a time slot in the calendar to create a meeting, it defaults to busy. Is that what's causing your issue?

This is true for the day view. When I click on a time slot when in month view it defaults to "free".
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
This is true for the day view. When I click on a time slot when in month view it defaults to "free".
Defaulting to "free" in the Month view makes sense, since you can't really select a specific start time by just double-clicking on the day. The appointment also defaults to "All Day." I get the same results whether single or double clicking.

In the week or day view you can get granularity to the half-hour, so it would make sense for appointments created there to block your time when you actually click on a specific time. And when you click on the header for the day, it creates an all-day event. Single or double-clicking, the defaults for the appointment are the same when in the day or week view.

Seems consistent to me. I will caveat my analysis with the fact that I'm on Office 2016, though.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
The default behavior is to list you as "Free" when specifying an All Day event, and Busy when specifying an event with a specific time. If you double click on the calendar when in Month view it creates an All-Day event thus it lists you as Free, even if you change it to specific times.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And we have an answer. FT rocks.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Also note that there's actually a 3rd option to create new events in Outlook: Right click on the Outlook icon on the taskbar and select the jumplist entries. This has been my main method for creating new messages, appointments, and contacts for many years.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by JClishe
Also note that there's actually a 3rd option to create new events in Outlook: Right click on the Outlook icon on the taskbar and select the jumplist entries. This has been my main method for creating new messages, appointments, and contacts for many years.
What version? I don't see that in Outlook 2010.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
What version? I don't see that in Outlook 2010.
I have Outlook 2010 and this is what he means by right-clicking on the Outlook icon on the task bar at the bottom (or side, if that's your thing) of the screen.

Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I have Outlook 2010 and this is what he means by right-clicking on the Outlook icon on the task bar at the bottom (or side, if that's your thing) of the screen.

Excellent! Thanks. Although I didn't see it because if I'm going to set a new meeting, I always have Outlook up on screen, so I would never even think to right-click the Quick Launch icon.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Excellent! Thanks. Although I didn't see it because if I'm going to set a new meeting, I always have Outlook up on screen, so I would never even think to right-click the Quick Launch icon.
I use jumplists for everything. Once you get used to the various options that app makers expose on their jumplists, they can be big time savers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.