Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Software where the later versions/upgrades are not as good as earlier ones....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Be interested to see what folks think.... I'm a believer that not every "up"grade is one.

Some of mine would include:

Foxit PDF reader
Copernicus Desktop Search
MS Word (1997)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
For me, the annoying one is that Amex Mobile app works perfectly on my phone but not on my tablet (both running Android 6 (Marshmallow).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The worst for me has been iOS upgrades on my iPad which have slowed it significantly. Apple quickly deauthorizes earlier versions making it impossible to go back to the well functioning one.

Of course Apple just wants us to buy new hardware more often, but it is pretty cynical.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Copernicus Desktop Search
I concur with this one.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Windows 8
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:47 pm
KCZ

Win 10
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:39 am

Besides Windows, one good example is Adobe Acrobat, when the "upgrade" from XI to DC was actually a downgrade that removed features, some of which were later reinstated but only for customers on a monthly/annual subscription plan.

Most software seems to just accumulate more and more bloat with every new version. It would be shorter to make a list of upgrades that actually brought useful features.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
dBase IV

every recent iTunes release

Win ME, Vista
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Honestly for me, nothing is immediately coming to mind, from any vendor.

Even on the Windows side I preferred Vista over XP, and 8 over 7. I don't remember anything about Windows ME though, I went from 98 -> 2000 -> XP.

I hear constant .....ing and moaning about iTunes but I've never once installed it on any Windows device. I have a Mac but I never use iTunes on it.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Besides Windows, one good example is Adobe Acrobat, when the "upgrade" from XI to DC was actually a downgrade that removed features, some of which were later reinstated but only for customers on a monthly/annual subscription plan.
Acrobat DC is the one that's been annoying me a lot lately. Not only is it a royal pain in the neck if you *don't* want the cloud nonsense with it, it's also been not the most reliable of programs. (The latest one for me is the blank save as dialog boxes, at least I think I've found a way around that one now, since I had a couple users with that problem.)
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Pogoplug 5.2.0 is so much better than later versions. Why later versions took out the ability to show Pogoplug drives in Windows Explorer I don't understand.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:24 pm
KCZ

Office 365 subscriptions. More money, not better, at least for an individual.

Any number of apps in Blackberry10 that are not as useful as those in OS7...maps and memos, for example.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Most free anti-virus/malware products (esp. AVG, Ad-Aware)

Acronis True Image products

Nero Burning ROM

Call of Duty
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:05 pm

On my MacBook Pro, I used to rely heavily on "Skitch" which did all kinds of custom screen grabs, instant cloud uploads, great annotation features, etc. Then they got bought by Evernote, and the entire app turned into an arm of some other suite of tools - at least that's how it looked to me. It was never as intuitive and existing features were either deprecated, hidden, or "premium-ized". I stopped using it, and I've never found a tool I liked as much.

Old Skitch, come back!

Last edited by boberonicus; Jun 30, 2016 at 5:46 pm
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by boberonicus
On my MacBook Pro, I used to rely heavily on "Skitch" which did all kinds of custom screen grabs, instant cloud uploads, great annotation features, etc. Then they got bought by Evernote, and the entire app turned into an arm of some other suite of tools - at least that's how it looked to me. It was never as intuitive and existing features were either deprecated, hidden, or "premium-ized". I stopped using it, and I've never found a tool I liked as much.

Old Skitch, come back!
funny, that's exactly what I thought about when I read the topic title.

I still have the 1.0.12 zip file. It works fine, just complains every time it starts about not being able to connect to the old skitch server and you just dismiss that message one time and it works fine for taking snapshots and saving them or using them locally. I think I even had it connected to an evernote account, but never really used that feature very much.

They never fixed the new version? I thought they were going to fix it after all the negative feedback they got from the community?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jun 30, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.