Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bose QC35 Released: Wireless and USB Rechargeable

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jww947
I purchased a pair of the QC35's from Best Buy and they are great. I think they are the best wireless noise cancelling headphone around. I tried Beats and I really wanted them to work but to much hissing can be heard when the volume is low. I used these on a 6 hr flight and they were awesome. The only problem I have is that they are not as comfortable as my QC15's. I also think the noise cancelling on the QC15 is slightly better. If you want wireless then go with the QC35. But if you don't want to spend $349 and are looking for something cheaper but just as good (wired), then I suggest you go with the QC15. You can get them from COSTCO approx $200.
If you have QC15 or QC25 and want wireless, you can also try the Btunes. It's $80-100, so you have to decide if it's worth the investment.

https://thebtunes.com/

I got mine through the "test drive" program BTunes was running on FT last year and they are pretty good. They connect instantly to my Galaxy S6 and sound quality is good. I don't think the range is as good as advertised, but it's good otherwise. The one thing to be careful of is accidentally knocking the unit off your headphones. I've done it twice on flights, once during takeoff. A guy 2 rows back found it for me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...eadphones.html

There is also this thing by Senitek on Amazon (pretty sure the first several glowing reviews are paid, although the more recent ones appear legit):
https://www.amazon.com/Senitek-Bluet...7124617&sr=8-2

Last edited by gobluetwo; Jun 28, 2016 at 8:44 am
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
If you have QC15 or QC25 and want wireless, you can also try the Btunes.

https://thebtunes.com/

I got mine through the "test drive" program BTunes was running on FT last year and they are pretty good. They connect instantly and quality is good. I don't think the range is as good as advertised, but it's good otherwise. The one thing to be careful of is accidentally knocking the unit off your headphones. I've done it twice on flights, once during takeoff. A guy 2 rows back found it for me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...eadphones.html
Awesome. I have no idea these existed.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I'm not sure I'd be happy with rechargeable-only headphones. I'm not worried so much about the fact that they're rechargeable as that it's not possible for the consumer to replace the battery once it's exceeded it's maximum charge cycles.

It took me 9 years to wear out my QC2s, and I'm pretty sure the battery in the QC35s will be well past its useful life after a similar amount of time.
Just a followup: I posted a question on Amazon re: the capability for the user to replace the rechargeable battery. Bose responded that it's not user-replaceable. When I then asked them whether they would offer a replacement program for batteries that have reached the end of their usable life they indicated that there was currently no intention to do so.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I guess Bose are getting their act together in advance of the iPhone 7 coming out without a headphone jack. However, I still don't understand how you are meant to plug wireless earphones into an airplane's IFE.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I bought a set of these. Sound quality is awesome, Bose really destroys the competition in noise cancellation. I wish the volume went louder when used with my iPad, but to be fair, the volume might be limited by Apple.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I guess Bose are getting their act together in advance of the iPhone 7 coming out without a headphone jack. However, I still don't understand how you are meant to plug wireless earphones into an airplane's IFE.
You can still use a removable cable that comes with the QC-35s.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:59 am

ok so i was finally ready to buy a set of noise canceling headphones (QC25) and then these decided to come out..

i'll mostly be using it for the IFE and occasionally my phone. bluetooth doesnt really matter to me.. any advantage of buying these? or should i stick with the QC25 (mostly because i like the AAA battery solution)
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:38 pm

Can anyone tell me if Bluetooth wireless headphones are legal on commercial airliners in the US? I've got plenty of warnings when using them on flights in the US, but I always turn them off if the FA says so.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
Can anyone tell me if Bluetooth wireless headphones are legal on commercial airliners in the US? I've got plenty of warnings when using them on flights in the US, but I always turn them off if the FA says so.
Virtually every airline in the US has pre-flight/pre-landing instructions regarding turning off devices that have transmitters, or at least placing them in airplane mode during takeoff and landing (i.e. below 10,000 feet). So that would rule out the use of the QC35s during initial ascent and final descent, unless they could be used with the included cable (and assuming it disables bluetooth when it's plugged in).

Now, if you're using "legal" in its legislative context, then yes, they're technically legal. But you do run the risk of annoying a FA and having to deal with the potential fallout.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Have read several positive reviews of these headphones, but have to say, the non-user replaceable batteries might be a show stopper to me. I really don't like "planned obsolescence" of something like $350 headphones, just because the battery goes kaput.

Regards
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Have read several positive reviews of these headphones, but have to say, the non-user replaceable batteries might be a show stopper to me. I really don't like "planned obsolescence" of something like $350 headphones, just because the battery goes kaput.

Regards
what? you don't want to fork over another $350 for the QC45 in 2 to 3 years? I'm shocked...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Note that you can update the firmware on these headphones.

I did it yesterday. From 1.00 to 1.05.

Not sure what difference it makes
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:52 pm

Just a followup: I posted a question on Amazon re: the capability for the user to replace the rechargeable battery. Bose responded that it's not user-replaceable. When I then asked them whether they would offer a replacement program for batteries that have reached the end of their usable life they indicated that there was currently no intention to do so.
Hmm. That pretty much rules out the QC35s for me then. I like the USB recharging since I always have a USB battery pack with me while traveling but being a non-replaceable battery and no plans to offer a replacement service leaves a bitter taste. I may just order the BTunes adapter for the QC25s since it'll work with my existing Bose headphones and maybe pick up a pair of QC25s down the road. A quick back of the envelope number crunching shows which my employee discount I can get a pair of QC25, the BTunes adapter and a 4 pack of rechargable AAAs for less than the QC35s.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Virtually every airline in the US has pre-flight/pre-landing instructions regarding turning off devices that have transmitters, or at least placing them in airplane mode during takeoff and landing (i.e. below 10,000 feet). So that would rule out the use of the QC35s during initial ascent and final descent, unless they could be used with the included cable (and assuming it disables bluetooth when it's plugged in).

Now, if you're using "legal" in its legislative context, then yes, they're technically legal. But you do run the risk of annoying a FA and having to deal with the potential fallout.
I'll disagree. Per this FAA press release from 2013:

Passengers will eventually be able to read e-books, play games, and watch videos on their devices during all phases of flight, with very limited exceptions. Electronic items, books and magazines, must be held or put in the seat back pocket during the actual takeoff and landing roll. Cell phones should be in airplane mode or with cellular service disabled – i.e., no signal bars displayed—and cannot be used for voice communications based on FCC regulations that prohibit any airborne calls using cell phones. If your air carrier provides Wi-Fi service during flight, you may use those services. You can also continue to use short-range Bluetooth accessories, like wireless keyboards.
However, also check your own airline's policies. Just because it's allowed by the FAA doesn't mean every airline has to allow it. This is particularly true outside the US.

For the record, I've not had any issues using my BTunes adapter for my QC25s during takeoff and landing on my UA, DL, and AA flights.

What I have encountered, though, are FA's asking me to turn off the noise cancellation or, on a couple of regional flights while sitting in the exit row, take off my headphones completely (she also asked someone with regular headphones to take them out - exit row rule on the regional carrier, she said).
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
<snip>... but being a non-replaceable battery and no plans to offer a replacement service leaves a bitter taste.
Yes, it does. I realize that sealed, non-replaceable batteries is sort of the "hipster" new thing (e.g. Macbooks, etc.) in our disposable economy, but that doesn't mean I have to support/succumb to planned obsolescence.

Regard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.