Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is the absolute best US cell carrier for international travelers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK - trick question: clearly T-Mobile.

Honorable mention goes to Google Fi.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm getting excellent upload speed via T Mobile's partner Vodaphone here in Surfer's Paradise - actually faster than what the Hilton provides. Just last month I was using it in Seoul, and back in January Sweden and Denmark. Perfect plan for me and I upload a lot of photos and need serious amounts of data.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm planning to go to Vietnam later this year, and it sounds like no US cell carriers work there. But a local SIM is super-cheap.

I hate going the local SIM route because it messes with my ability to get phone calls and text messages. So I might bring my Mifi, but that's also annoying.

Anyone know if this Vietnam situation is likely to change by Fall? Sounds like it's only been this way for a few years.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also - NYTimes just posted an article about this issue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/te...ne-abroad.html

Frankly, not really informative, and they, like many here, give T-Mo the brush-off. Seems pretty clear that the author never even tried it.

Also, don't forget that if you're looking to pay for high-speed international roaming, T-Mobile is cheaper than AT&T ($60/300MB) and Verizon (complicated, but expensive). It's $50/500MB. Only Google Fi is cheaper ($10/1GB).

I haven't tried Sprint's free roaming, but T-Mobile has been fine for me.

Has anyone tried Sprint?
Old May 27, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm planning to go to Vietnam later this year, and it sounds like no US cell carriers work there. But a local SIM is super-cheap.

I hate going the local SIM route because it messes with my ability to get phone calls and text messages. So I might bring my Mifi, but that's also annoying.

Anyone know if this Vietnam situation is likely to change by Fall? Sounds like it's only been this way for a few years.
should have gone two years ago

Important information regarding Vietnam
As of January 13, 2015, data roaming access in Vietnam is blocked. At this time, access to voice calls and text messages (SMS/MMS) are allowed at standard international roaming rates. This was due to an independent move by the Vietnamese government that increased carriers' rates; T-Mobile is working on trying to get the rates back down.
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3226

don't think T-mobile can negotiate the rates that easily.. plan for getting a prepaid sim
Old May 27, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite

Do your research before bringing your MiFi. Depending on your plan, some MiFi's are useless outside the continental US.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

Why not just bring an extra phone? I have an old iPhone that I carry around when in developing countries just for this purpose. If your US phone doesn't work at all, you can forward calls to the local SIM number.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:11 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

The situation is highly unlikely to change anytime soon. Seriously, I don't even think they have 4G roll out yet.

When I am in Vietnam, I just use a local SIM and tell people in the US to call or text me on my Google Voice number if needed. Now the Google Voice won't redirect to the Vietnamese number, but people can leave voice mail and I can check it through the Google Voice app or by logging into Google Voice online. I usually also have VPN configured on my phone as well so I can make phone calls to the US through Google Voice since it thinks I'm in the US. Of course all of this is dependent on a good internet connection.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...work_operators

tmobile doesnt offer it prepaid, right ?
Old May 27, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
should have gone two years ago
Did.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MtlTourist
Do your research before bringing your MiFi. Depending on your plan, some MiFi's are useless outside the continental US.
It's fully unlocked and carrier agnostic.
Old May 27, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Why not just bring an extra phone? I have an old iPhone that I carry around when in developing countries just for this purpose. If your US phone doesn't work at all, you can forward calls to the local SIM number.
+1 ^

I don't get rid of my old iPhones just for this reason, for "developed" and "developing" countries.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah - extra phone is a little simpler than a Mifi, but I'll be with my wife, and if we just get one SIM for the Mifi, then we can be on Wifi, and still get our calls and texts over the Wifi since T-Mobile + iPhone makes all of that easy.

Our Mifi is only 3G, but it'll be fine.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
OK - trick question: clearly T-Mobile.

Honorable mention goes to Google Fi.
Not sure what criteria you have or how you came to that conclusion, but I personally prefer AT&T. Same GSM (TDMA) /LTE tech as TM, but a much better U.S. network (both data and phone). Since I'm in the US more than I'm not, that's more important to me. In theory, ATT phones would work on any of the Int'l networks that TM works on. At least in the 35 or so countries I've been to, I've had no issues with ATT and typically I have had 3-4 networks to choose from.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Not sure what criteria you have or how you came to that conclusion, but I personally prefer AT&T. Same GSM (TDMA) /LTE tech as TM, but a much better U.S. network (both data and phone). Since I'm in the US more than I'm not, that's more important to me. In theory, ATT phones would work on any of the Int'l networks that TM works on. At least in the 35 or so countries I've been to, I've had no issues with ATT and typically I have had 3-4 networks to choose from.
If price were not a factor, I'd agree with you 100%.

But given the thousands of dollars (well, under 2, but more than 1) that I save every year with T-Mo, it's the winner.

Comparing apples to apples, you give up a bit (less and less) good US coverage for a price reduction of about 50% going AT&T to T-Mo.

Then, add the free international roaming, and for travelers who would otherwise pay for AT&T's (faster) roaming, you save another bundle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.