Reload this Page >

Streaming advice for beginner

Old May 22, 2016, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Title says it all. I have an old (totally dumb) TV. It's way past time to cut the cord. I'm thinking of replacing cable with Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

So I need a new TV and (?) a streaming device? I never record shows.

Advice on what I need? Type of TV and streaming device for my purposes?
Old May 22, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Just get a smart tv
Old May 22, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your TV is a CRT (the old kind with a glass picture tube) then definitely get a new TV. If it's an HD TV then just buy a Roku stick if you have an HDMI port.

Else, smart TVs are not expensive these days. Just get a new TV.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yeah with @gfunk on this one. If the TV is a CRT or even an earlier gen EDTV/HDTV type, plasma or early gen LCD, it MAY not have an HDMI input (or possibly a Gen1 version at best) and you'll be jumping through hoops to get things hooked up with additional component/composite cable adaptors and amplifiers and crap that will totally make it not worth it.

Depending on the TV, you could just get a smart TV As others have said and get those applications right on the TV.. netflix.hulu.amazon are pretty much on all decent quality 2014+ LED/LCD tv's.

or, one simple dongle depending on your PHONE type (ios or android) and you'd be done.

OR, you could get a tv and one of the stand alone OTA/TIVO roamio's, usually selling for about 200-250$ all in with service included for life. From there, you could get OTA with a small antennae and ALL those services onboard - and you could watch it outside the house AND record shows if you like (I know, you don't record shows)
Old May 22, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
As nmenaker mentioned, if you're planning on using OTA HDTV to supplement your streaming providers, TiVo Roamio OTA or TiVo Bolt is definitely the way to go... you'll most likely be able to get your local network channels (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS/CW and some other second-tier channels), have full DVR functionality for those channels, and have access to Netflix/Hulu/Yahoo/Amazon/YouTube/Vudu/HBO GO/Plex. You can also expand to other rooms using the TiVo Mini (you'll need a MOCA adapter for the Roamio OTA, it's built into the Bolt). You can also expand with the Amazon Fire Stick which has a TiVo app, though it can only access recordings and not live TV (though it can access in-progress recordings, which can be a work-around for live TV).

I currently have the Bolt, two Minis, and two Amazon Fire TV sticks. I'm still on Comcast but may cut the cord and switch to AT&T GigaPower internet when they finish the build-out in our neighborhood. If I do cut the cord, still having TiVo will make it a much more manageable and enjoyable experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.