Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

when you travel, which streaming TV app do you like to use? Netflix, HBO Now, Showtim

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when you travel, which streaming TV app do you like to use? Netflix, HBO Now, Showtim

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

when you travel, which streaming TV app do you like to use?
Netflix($9.99), HBO Now($14.99), Showtime($10.99), Hulu,
or other?
Old May 17, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
Netflix($9.99), HBO Now($14.99), Showtime($10.99), Hulu,
or other?
I have Netflix and HBO Go, but I actually prefer Amazon Prime when travelling because I could download the shows/movies to local storage so I don't have to stream!

And I got Amazon Prime for the free shipping.. not for the Video or Music. I just ordered 2 things this morning for free Same day shipping.. how cool is that. I don't think I could live without Amazon Prime. If they charge $200 a year.. I would still pay.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I enjoyed watching my home DVR through Slingbox on my phone in HD while laying in bed in Shanghai - that's the best option I can think of.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
A VPN client to get me tunneled into the right country (as some streaming apps are a pain in the ... concerning ip based localization). Then the usual suspects: Netflix, HBO and during trips to Europe BBC, several french and German TV channels.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
A VPN client to get me tunneled into the right country (as some streaming apps are a pain in the ... concerning ip based localization). Then the usual suspects: Netflix, HBO and during trips to Europe BBC, several french and German TV channels.
which VPNs do you recommend?

thanks!
Old May 17, 2016, 3:48 pm

which VPNs do you recommend?

thanks!
ExpressVPN! I use it for over a year and it's just great. Not cheap, but the speed is nice and the have gateways in all major countries.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
ExpressVPN! I use it for over a year and it's just great. Not cheap, but the speed is nice and the have gateways in all major countries.
thanks! I'll check it out.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:39 pm

Netflix and no VPN. We have found that we get different streaming choices in other countries because of licensing, so that is always a nice surprise.
Old May 18, 2016, 2:37 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I also use my Slingplayer most often, especially when outside the USA--which is connected both to our home DVR and our home Kaleidescape movie server.

Otherwise, I sometimes use the DirecTV app, HBO Go, or Flixster to access the Ultraviolet movies on our server...but usually only in the USA.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Usually depends more on what I'm watching serially at the moment... right now it's HBO Go because someone dragged me into GoT and I'm almost finally caught up. Before that it was Daredevil S2 and Jessica Jones on Netflix. Next will probably be quickly catching up on Silicon Valley on HBO Go, then maybe The Path on Hulu, and maybe re-watch The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime. I'll also transfer recorded shows from my TiVo as well and through the Comcast app to my Android tablet, especially for offline viewing on planes. Strangely, I've never found anything on Amazon Prime I wanted to download for offline viewing that struck my fancy in the moment, though maybe I'll keep Man in the High Castle downloaded for just such occasions.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:14 pm

I have Netflix, Hulu commercial-free, Amazon Prime and Xfinity OTG. For some reason, Xfinity OTG is also commercial-free when I watch via my laptop (I do know the reason, but we're not supposed to discuss it on an ad-supported web site ).
Old May 19, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I second the Amazon Prime. The offline videos are a fantastic for when I'm in the air or in places with weak networks.

Else, I use Netflix / HBO Go.

For Netflix the global expansion of Netflix has made VPN largely irrelevant.
For HBO Go / AMC /etc I use the OpenVPN built into my Asus router... I just connect back to my home network.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I enjoyed watching my home DVR through Slingbox on my phone in HD while laying in bed in Shanghai - that's the best option I can think of.
Name:  5114ZZoMt8L._SX522_.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  8.8 KB

Agree completely.

Slingbox 500 HD is fantastic. In fact, I make sure to book hotels whose HDTV's have exposed and functional HDMI ports so that I can connect my notebook to the HDTV and run Slingbox to it. Nothing better than NHL and NFL games in HD in Ningbo. And with connectivity to a laptop you also can stream iTunes, YouTube, and websites like MLB, CNN and the rest if there's nothing on the home DVR to watch. The Slingbox app works well on iPad and iPhone, in fact I use it quite a bit on my iPhone when home in the US and waiting on line at the grocery store or the car wash.

BJ
Old May 19, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I use Plex and download the content to my iPad. That way I can watch without internet connection (i.e. on a plane). It automatically downloads the next 'x' number of episodes of shows I watch.

For VPN, I'd recommend PIA (Private Inet Access). Good price and it uses OpenVPN.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I use Plex and download the content to my iPad. That way I can watch without internet connection (i.e. on a plane). It automatically downloads the next 'x' number of episodes of shows I watch.

For VPN, I'd recommend PIA (Private Inet Access). Good price and it uses OpenVPN.
I do this as well with my Android tablet and even hook it to the hotel TV occasionally, but it's a 4:3 tablet and its HDMI out is stuck in 4:3 as well, so I do most of my hotel viewing via Amazon Fire TV stick and streaming services if the WiFi isn't absolutely terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.