Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

is it a bad idea to access files via FTP on hard drive connected to router at home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it a bad idea to access files via FTP on hard drive connected to router at home?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
One thing that you should be careful with is to save a copy of all your files locally. If something goes bad with Google, you have zero recourse and they have zero customer service. For instance if a hacker steals your Google account, Google refuses to work to help you get your account back. They have only an automated tool which doesn't work very well. Other than that, Google Drive is great!
The Google Drive sync application is great for this. Runs in the background and syncs your drive-hosted files to a local folder. Anything you save or copy into the local folder is also synced up to Drive.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: QMiles,Delta, United, Miles & More, AA, Avis, Hertz, National, SPG, Le Club Accorhotels
As far as Routers go.. The Netgear Nighthawk (R7000) is a fantastic fast router.. I have it and flashed the firmware to Tomato by Shibby. Real easy..VPN capable and did I mention FAST?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We set ours up as RAID which halfs the storage but we are nowhere near full. It's pretty easy to setup. Because it is exposed we don't keep any files like financial stuff on it. Of course we have strong passwords and all that. But I do really like uploading photos each night back on the hotel wifI when we are on vacation. One time I lost everything at the end of a trip when my phone died and I'm still traumatized. :-)

I unboxed it this morning. The setup was fast and easy, even for an old geezer like me.

I copied several folders of useless family videos to it. Then I created another account so my grandson in California could access it. He was able to start downloading from the drive within a couple of minutes. The speed was only as fast as my internet connection at home, which is about 30mbps upload(more than acceptable for my needs). He also tried to copy some of his own photos to the drive. I was able to view them even before all of them finished copying them.

Now I just have to figure out how to configure my router so the MyCloud drive doesn't saturate the upload bandwidth while someone is accessing it from the internet. Perhaps I'll limit it to use just 20mbps out of the 30mbps upload bandwidth.

I did create fairly strong 15-character passwords, so I assume that should be secure enough?

Thanks again for your advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.