Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

sprint unlimited with international roaming?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Sprint is advertising a plan that sounds a lot like T mobiles simple choice, except it has "unlimited'data" and the base cost seems to be $75/mo rather than the 2 gb tmo $50/mo

Has anyone used this and does anyone know if the unlimited data can be tethered (eg use my phone as a hotspot)

Tried to call sprint directly and got 2 horrible connections with barely comprehensible voice tape and no way to reach a live person even as a new customer - strike one
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:23 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
I have the plan you are looking to get. There is up to 2 gigs of hotspot data included, anymore and they will charge you. I haven't tried the hot spot internationally yet with my phone, but I will in August. The international data worked fine while we were in Europe over Christmas, it's slow but usable.

I will warn you though, that if you do not have LTE coverage from sprint where you live and work, run away. 3G is miserable at best, and outside of decently populated areas that is what you will be stuck with. Now that I am in the NE corridor, my phone is usable.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:27 am

just remember that Sprint doesn't have VoLTE....

with their latest sprint spark phones, you cannot talk and use data at the same time (without using workarounds like skype/hangouts calling, or go with a 3-year-old non-spark phone)

(spark = supports all 3 of their LTe bands - 25/26/41. non-spark = support only one or two of those bands)

if you want unlimited on a GSM network, look at metropcs ($60 and fewer taxes)

http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...a-38b7ed69ab65

says there's 3GB hotspot
Old May 5, 2016, 1:24 am
Original Poster

I'm a little confused. My tmo phone (LG flex) has VoLTE but it is turned off and I can use data and talk at the same time.
So if I use the same phone on Sprint can't I do the same thing?

Originally Posted by paperwastage
just remember that Sprint doesn't have VoLTE....

with their latest sprint spark phones, you cannot talk and use data at the same time (without using workarounds like skype/hangouts calling, or go with a 3-year-old non-spark phone)

(spark = supports all 3 of their LTe bands - 25/26/41. non-spark = support only one or two of those bands)

if you want unlimited on a GSM network, look at metropcs ($60 and fewer taxes)

http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...a-38b7ed69ab65

says there's 3GB hotspot
Old May 5, 2016, 7:16 am

a) that T-mobile LG Flex is not compatible on Sprint. You'll have to get a new phone (sprint has it's own version of LG Flex)

b) Sprint's network is not physically capable of doing talk+data at the same time. When you start a call on any Sprint phone, the phone drops LTE connection and uses CDMA/1X voice. CDMA/1X voice does not allow data to flow at the same time
(GSM/HSPA allows it. that's why you can do talk+data on T-mobile on 2G/3G without VoLTE)

Non-spark phones can do talk+data because they have a second antenna (one antenna to maintain CDMA/1x voice, one antenna to maintain LTE connection). New spark phones only have one antenna, so they can't do this trick

Verizon gets around this by deploying VoLTE. Phone stays on LTE, voice call goes over VoLTE on LTE network, data can still flow over LTE. Sprint doesn't have VoLTE at the moment.

Last edited by paperwastage; May 5, 2016 at 7:22 am
Old May 5, 2016, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
The sprint website said my phone was fine for them, but of course you are right!
I called and yes everything you said is right on. Very grateful not to have to changed carrier and then found out everything you told me the hard way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.