Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Flash drive recommendations

Flash drive recommendations

Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
I'm in the market for a 32GB flash drive for safekeeping of PC application installers, videos and photos on the go as well as some Word/Notepad files.
I'm going to be a little contrarian on this, but when it comes to *safekeeping*, I wouldn't trust a usb flash drive for anything that I really was concerned about. They're great for moving things around, but long term reliability? I honestly couldn't even tell you how many I've had brought to me over the years from someone looking to try to recover files from one that's gone bad. Want to make a grad student cry? Tell them you can't recover their dissertation from a flash drive that's gone bad, and that's their only copy.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by piper28
I'm going to be a little contrarian on this, but when it comes to *safekeeping*, I wouldn't trust a usb flash drive for anything that I really was concerned about. They're great for moving things around, but long term reliability? I honestly couldn't even tell you how many I've had brought to me over the years from someone looking to try to recover files from one that's gone bad. Want to make a grad student cry? Tell them you can't recover their dissertation from a flash drive that's gone bad, and that's their only copy.
My sentiments exactly. Having a copy on USB is fine but be sure you back up regularly.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

I also intend to use the flash drive to copy files between my desktop and laptop. It's a pain where I have to transfer files using another method like emailing files back and forth. So thanks again for the advice.

I guess I'll be going with SanDisk.

Anyone have or have used/tried out the SanDisk Ultra
CZ48 CZ48
or
CZ80 CZ80
?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Drummer
Are you sure about lack of backward compatibility? Everything else I have found on the web indicates that USB 3 IS backwards compatible with USB 2.
Maybe it's just me, but my USB 3.0 flash drive does not work with our old USB 2.0 laptop. I tried multiple times and it just won't read it. Works fine on my work laptop (T440).
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I also intend to use the flash drive to copy files between my desktop and laptop. It's a pain where I have to transfer files using another method like emailing files back and forth. So thanks again for the advice.
How about using the rj45 networking port with a Cat-5 crossover cable?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Also, if you're putting any sensitive information (personal data, work stuff, etc.) on the drive, then look for one with built in hardware encryption. I have an encrypted Sandisk flash drive.

Also, would suggest going with USB 3, unless you have a computer at home or work that you're using that's only compatible with USB 2 (hardware limitation), as it's not backward compatible.

And bigger is better.
USB3 devices work fine in USB2 ports, they just work at USB2 speeds.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Maybe it's just me, but my USB 3.0 flash drive does not work with our old USB 2.0 laptop. I tried multiple times and it just won't read it. Works fine on my work laptop (T440).
Never had an issue with USB 3.0 flash drive in a 2.0 port
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Never had an issue with USB 3.0 flash drive in a 2.0 port
Must just be a unique situation, then. Sucks to be me.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll be going for a 32GB USB 3 then.

Anyone have experiences with either the Sandisk Ultra
CZ48 CZ48
or
CZ80 CZ80
?
Old May 1, 2016, 12:32 am

Yes, my computer has a USB 3 drive. No I'm still debating on whether to get a 16 or 32GB now What I usually do is start with the 16GB base price and if the 32GB amounts to 5 dollars or less than the 16, then the 32 it is.

I'm interested in the SanDisks as well and been looking around but the negative reviews like slow benchmark speed are off putting. And I was looking at the CZ80 but i'm not sure if its worth paying 24 bucks for a 32GB USB 3 flash drive.

Will purchase on amazon.
The Sandisk Extreme CZ80 flash drives use a SSD controller and achieve crazy fast transfers of small files. It is worth waiting for a sale if you find the regular price off putting.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unmesh
The Sandisk Extreme CZ80 flash drives use a SSD controller and achieve crazy fast transfers of small files. It is worth waiting for a sale if you find the regular price off putting.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure you have tried/used it before? Have you tried the CZ48? If so, how does it compare to the CZ80?
Old May 5, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: *G
flash drives are more useful when theyre always accessible. thats why i prefer to buy compact, metal, weather-resistant ones, that can be carried on a keychain.

the long plastic ones get stored in my various bags, drawers, pouches, and eventually gets lots. happened to so many of em...
Old May 5, 2016, 6:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure you have tried/used it before? Have you tried the CZ48? If so, how does it compare to the CZ80?
I have several of the CZ80s and can confirm the excellent read and write performance over varying file sizes.

i haven't personally owned a CZ48 but every reviewer who has run CrystalDiskMark says they have very poor write performance. They might be OK for a read-mostly application.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unmesh
I have several of the CZ80s and can confirm the excellent read and write performance over varying file sizes.

i haven't personally owned a CZ48 but every reviewer who has run CrystalDiskMark says they have very poor write performance. They might be OK for a read-mostly application.
Thanks mate. What do you mean by read-mostly?

Happen to know where I can get the CZ80 for a good price?
Old May 10, 2016, 4:05 pm

Thanks mate. What do you mean by read-mostly?

Happen to know where I can get the CZ80 for a good price?
"Read-mostly" is a use case where you're going to write to it very few times (maybe even just once) but read from it lots of times. For example, I have a stick with Windows 10 install files on it. So write performance is more or less immaterial but read performance is important.

Regarding price, I just set a threshold price at camelcamelcamel.com and buy one from Amazon when that threshold is met. The unfortunate side effect is that I have way too many of these

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.