Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for a laptop/tablet mainly for presentations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Suggestions for a laptop/tablet mainly for presentations

Hi,

I'm looking for a small laptop or even a tablet to use mainly for delivering presentations.
Main requirements:
- syncs with an external monitor/projecter
- accepts a usb dongle from the wireless presenter (http://goo.gl/ontDXT), so I could navigate between slides
- light and compact

Will something like an eeepc do (https://goo.gl/9uPJeu), or are these machines too inept for current OS demands these days?

Cheers
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

An MS Surface 3 would be good for this. Very light, relatively inexpensive and has a USB port for your pointer.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:36 am

Agreed, I have a Surface 3 since a year or so and actually most of the time nowadays I travel even without my laptop since it replaces it perfectly.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Surface Pro 4?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Surface Pro 4 will obviously do the trick, but Surface 3 would be a lot cheaper.

I present a lot with my SP4 and love having a stylus, I draw on slides all the time.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
I expect that any of the small Windows tablets are perfectly acceptable for running presentations, just check that it has an hdmi port as many don't. Those atom processors are surprisingly capable.
(I did my last one with a Thinkpad 8 when the presenting laptop stopped responding)

Issues are that you can't generally use USB and charge at the same time, but a bluetooth presenter would solve that. And editing presentations on an 8 inch screen isn't ideal.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by big_mac
Issues are that you can't generally use USB and charge at the same time, but a bluetooth presenter would solve that. And editing presentations on an 8 inch screen isn't ideal.
The SP3 has a Micro-USB charger, and a separate full size USB 3.0 port, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 4:08 am

If you are OK with an Android OS, have you come across the Lenovo Yoga Pro?It comes with a built-in pico projector and incredible battery life for sub-$500.

It'll only work in a darkened room, and the resolution is below that of a dedicated projector, but could be handy if it meets your needs.

I have the Yoga Pro 2 with the projector built into the end. Specs say that it'll project up to 50" across, but I can comfortably project films with subtitles to 4m across in the dark. The Pro 3 is meant to be a further step up.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Asus T100HA/T100 Chi/T100TA/T100TAM/T200TA or Dell Venue 11 Pro would all do the trick for substantially less than a Surface 3 even and all include the keyboard. You can get the T200TA for $210 refurbished on eBay through Adorama (reliable B&M and online seller) and I've seen the original T100TA go for as little as $125 refurbished. Even a Dell Venue 8 Pro or any other 8" Windows Tablet in the $100 range along with an OTG cable would do the trick, but would make it harder to make any last-minute edits to your slides that might be necessary.

The Dell Venue 11 Pro can be had for $299 refurbished from A4C.com using coupon code "TECH25" and would probably be my choice of the lot because of its CoreM (fanless like an Atom, ~80% of i3 performance) processor and range of accessories (included Surface-style keyboard cover, available clam shell keyboard with added battery and desktop dock). If my new employer saddles me with a heavy laptop I'll probably come out of pocket for the Venue 11 Pro and the desktop dock, and probably add the clam shell dock later as well.

I used a T100TA then T100TAM as my primary travel laptop for 2+ years and my ONLY complaint was the relatively slow charging time over 5V Micro USB... the current crop (T100HA and Dell Venue 11 Pro) use higher voltage proprietary chargers or USB-C/3.1 charging to negate this, but the battery life is so good that even a slow 5V/2.4A charge overnight isn't that big of a deal. If you're really just doing web/email/office, you can easily make due with this type of machine and the weight/size savings are really liberating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.