Wiki Posts
Search

Replacing ThinkPad T520

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
SSD is Scary Fast

Following the advice I found here, I elected to update my trusty T520. I get to keep the friendly keyboard and put off the migration I always dread -- though the reality of that is much less painful than what I imagine.

My company's vendor forgot to order my new RAM, so I've only replaced the hard drive. The difference is amazing. Processes that used to involve minutes of double-reverse thumb twiddling (my specialty!) now seem to complete almost before they start. I can't wait to see what doubling the RAM to 16 GB does.

Many thanks,

Andy
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ajGoes
My company's vendor forgot to order my new RAM, so I've only replaced the hard drive. The difference is amazing. Processes that used to involve minutes of double-reverse thumb twiddling (my specialty!) now seem to complete almost before they start. I can't wait to see what doubling the RAM to 16 GB does.
It's probably a less dramatic difference than the SSD, but it totally depends on the applications you run; if they take advantage (either individually or collectively) of the extra ram, on those occasions they do, the difference should be similarly dramatic.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:31 pm

Check your swap. If swap is not being used, then you won't get any improvement.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glob99
Check your swap. If swap is not being used, then you won't get any improvement.
Not necessarily; some apps will tune their memory usage based on what's available, and it the margin will offload some read load from disk as in-memory cache.

If you're swapping, the improvement will definitely be more dramatic than you will see if you're not.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
I mentioned this before on another thread. I had both a T520 and T530. I HATED the power brick! If they ever make an X1 Carbon that allows 16 GB of RAM (not sure if they do, as I haven't research lately), I would go with that. Carrying around the T530 and that brick made my backpack heavy!
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MtlTourist
I mentioned this before on another thread. I had both a T520 and T530. I HATED the power brick! If they ever make an X1 Carbon that allows 16 GB of RAM (not sure if they do, as I haven't research lately), I would go with that. Carrying around the T530 and that brick made my backpack heavy!
They offered *four* different bricks. Which one did you have?

The smallest in the photo is a 90w, which is more than enough to charge my T520 while in use. The other two larger bricks I use on my docking stations for faster charging. There is a fourth, even smaller brick which I think was 60w. I had one with my T500, but it was not sufficient for my quad-core T520.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
I had the one that came standard with the issued T530, which I believe is the largest one you have pictured.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I had the one that came standard with the issued T530, which I believe is the largest one you have pictured.
That's the one is specially keyed with the non-round plug.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you have a bigger than standard brick? The T520 used the standard Lenovo 90W brick which is really pretty compact -- the 65W that is optional with the X1 Carbon is not much smaller, and it comes standard with the same 90W brick that the T series uses. It might have depended on which GPU you bought the T520 with -- my recollection is the ones we evaluated were "big CPU, integrated GPU only."

There is a 135W brick available for Lenovos, but at least the equipment of the T520 that we bought didn't require it -- that was the brick on the W500 and W510 (the W520 and W530 required an even bigger 170W.)
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
There is a fourth, even smaller brick which I think was 60w. I had one with my T500, but it was not sufficient for my quad-core T520.
65W. I can post a photo of the 65W next to a 90W if it's helpful.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least if you ordered direct from Lenovo, you had an option of picking which brick you wanted.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
They offered *four* different bricks. Which one did you have? <snip>

The smallest in the photo is a 90w, which is more than enough to charge my T520 while in use. The other two larger bricks I use on my docking stations for faster charging. There is a fourth, even smaller brick which I think was 60w. I had one with my T500, but it was not sufficient for my quad-core T520.
I wondered about that, as I have the compact 90-watt brick and wouldn't think of complaining about its weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.