Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Whatsapp "Low Data Usage" Setting for Calls - Use it with Unlimited Slow Data?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Whatsapp has a setting called "Low Data Usage" to lower the amount of data used during a Whatsapp VOIP call.

Clearly there is a reason to use it if one has a limited amount of data.

But, how about when roaming with Tmobile or Sprint unlimited slowed data? If Whatsapp will automatically sense that data is slowed and adjust accordingly, then it would make sense not to select "Low Data Usage" because if the data is fast enough the quality would be better.

So, the question - does Whatsapp automatically optimize its codec based upon the speed of the connection, meaning that there is no reason to select the low data usage setting for roaming Sprint and Tmobile users?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:23 pm

Don't know about your second question, but for me WhatsApp calls use barely any data anyway. I have Low Data Usage unticked and I made a 9 minute call to a friend in Qatar, the total usage shown was about 4 MB I think.
Call quality was excellent!

Wonder how much it would have used if I had ticked the option...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.