Wiki Posts
Search

Travel VESA monitor stand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Travel VESA monitor stand

Been looking for it for years. It just doesn't want to exist or at least not at a sane price point -- one could get a Go Vu Monitor Mount and some sort of desktop tripod but that mount is 149.95 for a 4.2oz piece of steel. Ridiculous.

This train of thought leads to a solution but it's not a photography tripod, the solution is a microphone tripod from K&M, the 23150 and the K&M 19685 VESA adapter. Here's my Sharp LL-S201A (a 19.5" full HD 1080p monitor, keyword stuffing for anyone else to find it) mounted:

https://goo.gl/photos/8ePSvCocEtHJ7sqF6

This is totally carry on size, both the monitor and the stand. It is possibly the largest carry on size monitor as well. Bonus: height adjustable, I wasn't even looking for that.

3.3kg altogether per specifications, I haven't weight it myself but seems right.

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 4, 2016 at 2:44 pm
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
This seems like a lot of extra work and expense for something that you can get all in one unit for the same price as the stand you quoted. Granted it is not the same screen size but for the cost and portability you cannot beat these with a traditional monitor.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MB168BPlus/
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:14 am
Original Poster

1. DisplayLink is MEH. Doesn't work with tablet, barely works with Linux. If I wanted 15" I'd use a Gechic anyways, http://www.gechic.com/product_help_en.asp?s=27 because it has real display inputs.
  2. Where's the height adjustable stand? I am away for weeks I need a good working environment.
  3. Where's the decent screen size? Same as above.

It's just not comparable. Yes, if all you want is a companion monitor then the Gechic will be better but if you are away for weeks (worse, months) then you want a comfy environment wherever you are. That's what I posted about: it's an absolutely unique solution to a problem admittedly few people have but almost certainly more on this forum than the general populace. It's also possible someone never thought this is a thing they could do and now they can

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 6, 2016 at 12:31 am
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Would be very, very interested in this as well. Sitting in front of a laptop for hours is just painful ( I normally use a standing desk with a large screen and a quality keyboard) .

The Sharp LL-S201A setup looks interesting and compact. Any other good options? Particularly for a more height-adjustable stand.

BTW, I've tried two different DisplayLink monitors - the Asus 168 mentioned and Lenovo something, LT1421 I think. That experience was most certainly Meh, at best . Worked most of the time, but sometimes randomly didn't . Didn't work with some apps as well.

Anyone tried a WiDi based setup? Does that actually function any better?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

A more height adjustable stand??? The K&M 23150 I recommended goes from 9.055" to 16.929" how's that not enough?

As for WiDi, what is the problem you are trying to solve? While some monitor data cables tend to run a bit thick there are really thin HDMI cables on the market and so that's what I use. This is the smallest of problems.

Ps. I will try a new backpack in the neverend quest for the best backpack to carry the monitor and the laptop

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 14, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
In terms of height adjustability, I was thinking of something that would allow me to approximate my standing desk while at a hotel. It's usually easy enough to find something to use as a raised surface for a keyboard, but harder to find something stable enough for a monitor stand. Just for reference, the (much heavier) monitor arm I use at my standing desk has a 13" vertical range of motion . Still, 7" for K&M 23150 is very good considering the compact size.

As far as WiDi, mainly curious to see if there is a way to carry fewer cables around. Obviously only worth it if the technology actually functions well.

Originally Posted by chx1975
A more height adjustable stand??? The K&M 23150 I recommended goes from 9.055" to 16.929" how's that not enough?

As for WiDi, what is the problem you are trying to solve? While some monitor data cables tend to run a bit thick there are really thin HDMI cables on the market and so that's what I use. This is the smallest of problems.

Ps. I will try a new backpack in the neverend quest for the best backpack to carry the monitor and the laptop
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Well then try this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Reverse.html Maximum Height: 89" Folded Length: 20" Load Capacity: 9 Lbs Weight: 2.43 lb. I checked the extensive selection of BHP and I couldn't find anything else that closes below 20" (for carry on) and can support the 6lbs of the monitor+adapter. That makes sense: you need at least four sections to do this and the top section can't be too thick otherwise the ones below will be very heavy. However, not every stand has a specified load capacity, so who knows.

Ask BHP before buying whether it can be fitted with an 5/8" screw instead of an 5/8" stud or get a 3/8" female-5/8" male screw adapter or try to get the 3/8" version of the VESA adapter. It exists just I am not sure whether it's available in the USA.

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 15, 2016 at 1:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.