Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Aftermarket chargers for MacBooks

Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat

I was wondering if anyone here has used aftermarket chargers for MacBooks, and if so, what company did you get them from?

I'm specifically looking for one for a 2013 air.

Never had a charger damaged like this, where the isolation material is completely torn, but oh well.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:36 pm

Have you looked at the Zolt chargers? I might pull the trigger on this one.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by dimramon
I was wondering if anyone here has used aftermarket chargers for MacBooks, and if so, what company did you get them from?

I'm specifically looking for one for a 2013 air.

Never had a charger damaged like this, where the isolation material is completely torn, but oh well.
Not sure if still the case but Apple didn't allow anyone to sell chargers that had magsafe adapters and went after the companies that did.

I ended up buying a couple of extra OEM Apple ones on Craigslist for $15 to $20 each and have a couple of spares that way. Can't imagine a third party one would be any cheaper.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you travel around Asia, you can always find cheap chargers, cables and other Apple accessories for dirt cheap. True the quality is lacking and you should always test such devices on the spot before buying, but when you can be a dozen or more for the same price as Apple retail, who cares if they have a shorter life. Some last for years and and some last a week.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by stimpy
If you travel around Asia, you can always find cheap chargers, cables and other Apple accessories for dirt cheap. True the quality is lacking and you should always test such devices on the spot before buying, but when you can be a dozen or more for the same price as Apple retail, who cares if they have a shorter life. Some last for years and and some last a week.
The quality of Apple chargers is terrible. Just look at the reviews on the Apple website of the MacBook chargers.

My MacBook Pro charger went bang just out of warranty. So, I ended up spending 65 on a new one (which will probably last a year).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The quality of Apple chargers is terrible. Just look at the reviews on the Apple website of the MacBook chargers.

My MacBook Pro charger went bang just out of warranty. So, I ended up spending 65 on a new one (which will probably last a year).
Indeed. I have never had a problem like this with chargers before It looks like my dog tore it to shreds and I have mostly been using it in an office setting at home.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:01 am

I've been using my zolt charger for my macbook pro and the wife's air at my office and to travel so I can charge my phone as well. I leave the oem one at home.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've gotten a few non-Apple chargers from Amazon, and no issues with any.

The original charger might have lasted a year. I blamed my cats, but evidently it is the cable.

I've found them for as little as $20, and they've all worked for me. I always bring an extra when I'm traveling, just in case.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My chargers seem to last a long time except when the cats chew through the low voltage cord from the brick to the computer. The cord that isn't replaceable with an easy connector on it. I just recently looked around and found you can buy replacement cables for a few $ and got some (with magsafe connectors on them) and they seem to work fine, though it takes a little surgery to replace the cord.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I just bought one of these Morange Magsafe chargers for my 2013 Macbook Air. It works great. The Magsafe seems almost sturdier than Apple's and the strain-relief is certainly better than the stuff that gets all soft on the Apple charger.

I picked it because it had over 20 good reviews.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:10 am

I bought two extra used but in good condition original MB chargers but can't find the link for the purchase.....i do recall staying away from after market chargers.

Personally, I'd find reputable seller on eBay. I see half a dozen 'reliable' sellers on eBay offering for less than $20, some include free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...arger&_sacat=0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.