Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade from Windows 10

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I've presently got Windows 8 but I've got it with Classic Shell...which makes it workable (I just smack the start button once or twice at startup to get a more-or-less conventional desktop-plus-start menu). Honestly, I'll probably be making a migration to Linux in the next year or two...Microsoft has totally lost me over the SaaS model and:
(1) I don't trust them to not do something like that with Windows 10 (let alone "Windows"); and
(2) The generalized shenanigans over this haven't helped.

Serious question: Microsoft may not be supporting with drivers and so on, but is there anything stopping device makers from supporting drivers (esp. if Windows 10 flatlines in the low-to-mid teens in terms of market share)?
I think you're worried about the wrong things. Windows 10 isn't going to flatline in the low to mid teens, since more computers are switching out of XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 to Windows 10 every day; and Windows 10 is the "last" OS from Microsoft.

I'm running Windows 10 with no need for Classic Shell at all. You can choose to run it in desktop mode; you can use the Quick Launch toolbar just like I do; and if you don't like to see tiles when you click on the Start button, you can delete them all.

I think you're on the weakest solution right now: Windows 8. You should upgrade to 10, or 8.1, or downgrade to 7; but Windows 8 itself is kind of the Windows ME of the 2010s.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Ideally, you would install the migration tool on both computers and push a button. After an hour or two, the new computer would have all the same files in the same locations, the desktops would be identical, and all your installed software would work on the new computer exactly as it did on the old.

This is not really possible in the Windows world, but a really good migration tool would get you very close.
I've always preferred to do migration manually. It's very time-consuming to manually move files and re-install applications, but I'm a bit of a control freak, and I like knowing exactly what's going where and why on my computer.

Besides, I have all of my files very organized, so the migration goes pretty quickly.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I've always preferred to do migration manually. It's very time-consuming to manually move files and re-install applications, but I'm a bit of a control freak, and I like knowing exactly what's going where and why on my computer.

Besides, I have all of my files very organized, so the migration goes pretty quickly.
I've started using two SSDs in my laptop -- one for OS+Programs, one for documents/pictures (and some programs, like my Steam library and certain other games, that don't need a reinstall program run.)

Made my last two upgrades easy-peasy -- just pop the drive out of the old one, pop in into the new one, and run a batch file that resets the permissions.

Would be even easier if I ever got around to setting up a domain controller, so that I could just keep one set of permissions associated with a domain account.

Sadly my next machine looks like it will only have space for one SSD.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by nkedel
I've started using two SSDs in my laptop -- one for OS+Programs, one for documents/pictures (and some programs, like my Steam library and certain other games, that don't need a reinstall program run.)

Made my last two upgrades easy-peasy -- just pop the drive out of the old one, pop in into the new one, and run a batch file that resets the permissions.

Would be even easier if I ever got around to setting up a domain controller, so that I could just keep one set of permissions associated with a domain account.

Sadly my next machine looks like it will only have space for one SSD.
Ive been doing that with regular hard drives for years. Its the standard configuration for all of my computers.

But if you have only have one physical drive, you can partition it into separate logical drives and get mpst of the same benefits.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Ive been doing that with regular hard drives for years. Its the standard configuration for all of my computers.

But if you have only have one physical drive, you can partition it into separate logical drives and get mpst of the same benefits.
Yes, I used to do it that way, and will probably need to on my next machine (the cost of a 2TB SSD is not going to be fun!)
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:20 pm

Yes, I used to do it that way, and will probably need to on my next machine (the cost of a 2TB SSD is not going to be fun!)
Seen them down to about $570 recently, so it's making progress. Still pricey, but the 1TB ones are down to the point where I'm kinda tempted to replace the secondary drive in my laptop with one.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by piper28
Seen them down to about $570 recently, so it's making progress. Still pricey, but the 1TB ones are down to the point where I'm kinda tempted to replace the secondary drive in my laptop with one.
There were a couple of 960gb (which is close enough to 1TB) for $199 or $249 sales back around the holidays.

For the 2TB ones, $570 is a nice little drop from around $650 which is what I am seeing on Amazon/Neweggg. Sadly, seems to purely be a Samsung size -- I prefer Crucial, of the current generation of drives, but going down from 2X 1TB (not that I really need that, but I do need about 1.5TB) to 1x 1TB isn't in the cards.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:18 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
any reason not to move from W7?

I've been using win 7 for ever, actually uninstalled w8 on this laptop when I got it 3 years ago to put w7 pro on it, as I was/am familiar with w7 and didn't want to learn anything new (and had heard only bad things).

Now that w10 has been out for 6 months, is there any reason why I shouldn't make the move?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Now that w10 has been out for 6 months, is there any reason why I shouldn't make the move?
Pretty much the only reason not to is you have more obscure hardware or systems software which won't work with 10.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Pretty much the only reason not to is you have more obscure hardware or systems software which won't work with 10.
hmm - tried to install today, and got a message that Samsung Easy Settings is incompatible and needs to be uninstalled. Did some searching and found various reports that this feature (which basically controls the function of all the Fn keys, including screen/key backlighting brightness, volume and wifi/bluetooth) is not supported under W10, and that Samsung aren't going to update it. It's a three year old laptop, cutting edge when I bought it.

So that's me sticking to W7, and another reason why I'm not going to buy Samsung again....

How can I remove the 2GB+ of win10 install files sitting on my system??
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
hmm - tried to install today, and got a message that Samsung Easy Settings is incompatible and needs to be uninstalled. Did some searching and found various reports that this feature (which basically controls the function of all the Fn keys, including screen/key backlighting brightness, volume and wifi/bluetooth) is not supported under W10, and that Samsung aren't going to update it. It's a three year old laptop, cutting edge when I bought it.

So that's me sticking to W7, and another reason why I'm not going to buy Samsung again....
Just run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode:

http://the1ent.blogspot.com/2014/10/...windows-8.html
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crappy manufacturer drivers are hardly unique to Samsung, and I often find myself happier without them. I'd actually suspect that if you did upgrade, a lot of that functionality may be native, but it's hard to be certain and if (for example) you are bothered having to change brightness via the GUI rather than key combinations, that may not be for you.

How can I remove the 2GB+ of win10 install files sitting on my system??
Show hidden directories, and then delete it. It'll be like WIN.$BT or something like that in the root; google for more specific directions.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:31 pm

I still tend to subscribe to an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. There's just not enough of an upside to really make it worth upgrading a laptop that's working perfectly fine on windows 7 that's a couple of years old already. (I would do the upgrade from a machine running windows 8 though.)
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Maybe OT but I have a lifetime experience of PCs and Microsoft OS and am pretty good technically.

The things MS has done since version 8 to Windows with the user interface and built-in monetizing applications have really turned me off.

Last month I succumbed to a new iMac, thinking at least much of the stuff I need Windows for I could probably find Mac applications to replace. To my surprise, I managed to replace every application and import data/documents with a Mac substitute (often the same software written for Mac). Now I have my screaming, home built desktop with 8 processors and 32GB of memory sitting idle, and I am not disappointed at that. I never thought I would, or could, do this, but I'm afraid MS has probably lost me for good.

YMMV but Mary if you had your time again, and I saw this thread earlier, I would have recommended OSX as an alternate platform.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tanglin
YMMV but Mary if you had your time again, and I saw this thread earlier, I would have recommended OSX as an alternate platform.
How exactly would she be able to install MacOSX on her new Windows 10 machine?

Not that I disagree about MacOSX... I'm now converted back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.