Downgrade from Windows 10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade from Windows 10

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can get the drivers needed for your machine you can wipe and upgrade to ver 7. Go to the manufacturers website and download all the ver 7 drivers first, though--you very well might find you can't find them. Manufacturers get lazy about such matters, last year I threw perfectly good hardware away due to a lack of drivers and I had to jump through hoops to configure a printer that's not all that old.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Question: after reading this article, can I upgrade a Windows 10 Home computer to Windows 10 Pro by simply entering a Windows 7 Ultimate key?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would not use Windows these days without ClassicShell. And it's free.

I have it set up to emulate the XP style start button et al in my Win7 Pro machine. When I need particular Win7 features, shift-click gives access.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I don't like the tiles presented when I click on Start
I don't like what they've done with the Start Menu
I don't like that the Windows control features, such as control panel, printer manager and similar are buried in the "apps menu"
And I really don't like Edge, but I've turned it off in favor of IE 11.

I just want a computer with a regular desktop that isn't accessing the internet to provide me with all kinds of sponsored content. I've deleted some of the programs, such as priceline, etc, but I really don't like that whole part of the OS.
You can change the behavior of win 10 to your own preferences.

ie, to get rid of the tiles, right click on each one and select unpin. When they are all gone, no more tiles or space for them. You can add them back anytime you want to.

Just search for each thing you want to change.

-David
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Use Classic Shell - on Windows 8/8.1 and W10 machines, both desktop & NB's - although the latest W10 build do offer more user customization to hide, turn-off and uninstall some of the features.

HP's support site should have all the necessary drivers for the PC and unless there are specific HP apps/functions that are needed (unlikely, IMO, on a "Home" edition except for bloatware) - I would opt for a clean & fresh install from an USB stick, skip using the recovery/restore as that has all the "junks". Once it's up - activation should be simple & automatic as it's an OEM license and should be MB/hardware based - recognized by $S's server. Tweak the settings, especially personalization and disable those designed "extra".

Take a snapshot/screenshot of what's preloaded or installed currently, rather not to start off with all those trial-wares & pop-ups marketing pitch to ... machine would run a litter faster and of course, the OS is on C:\ and just about everything else are on the D:\ - a fun weekend project while not on the road or doing MR

Lastly, of course - configure Classic Shell.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
I would opt for a clean & fresh install from an USB stick, skip using the recovery/restore as that has all the "junks".
How do you get an ISO for the USB stick? I thought Microsoft stopped making the downloads available as with Win7.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
How do you get an ISO for the USB stick? I thought Microsoft stopped making the downloads available as with Win7.
Download the ISO using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft itself. (May need to do this from a machine running Windows 7 or 8.x). One nice thing is that it lets you download both 32-bit and 64-bit versions into the same ISO to have a master installer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thanks for all the suggestions. I"m going to finish unistalling stuff and getting rid of all those tiles and then see where I am.

I hate getting a new computer... it always takes me days to get it up and running the way I like it.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Thanks for all the suggestions. I"m going to finish unistalling stuff and getting rid of all those tiles and then see where I am.

I hate getting a new computer... it always takes me days to get it up and running the way I like it.
You'll then have the computer for years, and Windows 10 is it for Microsoft, so you'll never have a similar upgrade headache again. (Windows 10 will continue to automatically update, and in the aggregate, it's a pretty nice, stable OS.)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Hey, I'm still on Vista. My current machine is approaching 10 years old. My needs are not that great. I only replaced it because Vista is out of support and I can't go higher than IE9, though firefox works.

I just don't want all that garbage floating around my desktop.

Now, who the heck is Cortana, and why would I want her monitoring my activies so she could "help"?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hey, I'm still on Vista. My current machine is approaching 10 years old. My needs are not that great. I only replaced it because Vista is out of support and I can't go higher than IE9, though firefox works.

Now, who the heck is Cortana, and why would I want her monitoring my activies so she could "help"?
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cortana is Microsoft's intelligent assistant, like Siri for iOS. It can do a bunch of stuff similar to Siri. Here's a sample list: http://www.howtogeek.com/225458/15-t...on-windows-10/
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks! But I doubt I would ever talk to my desktop computer. I hardly use Siri, though she does come in handy at times
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You'll then have the computer for years, and Windows 10 is it for Microsoft, so you'll never have a similar upgrade headache again. (Windows 10 will continue to automatically update, and in the aggregate, it's a pretty nice, stable OS.)
Does Windows 10 come with a really usable migration tool? My biggest headache is moving to a new machine. I remember a migration tool came with Vista or Win7, but as I recall, it was severely lacking. As a developer, my needs are far more complex than the average user's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.