Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Netflix has expanded to 100+ countries, does this mean I can watch while overseas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Netflix has expanded to 100+ countries, does this mean I can watch while overseas?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For the more technically inclined, sign up for a cheap vps and install openvpn. They will never notice one ip in a million years. Dm if you need help.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
For the more technically inclined, sign up for a cheap vps and install openvpn. They will never notice one ip in a million years. Dm if you need help.

Netflix also uses latency to detect the use of VPS and/or VPN.
If someone is physically in a foreign country, the latency is
going to to much greater than someone in the US.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting. I use a VPN on my company's guest wireless network (just a short hop to a VPN server in Vegas). I tried Netflix, and it got blocked. I disconnected from the VPN, started the video, then started the VPN, unpaused the video, and it worked without a problem.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: LH
Oh no...the beginning of the end?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by b747lh
Oh no...the beginning of the end?
That seems a tad melodramatic...

Regards
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:41 pm

They could always block access if they see the same Mac address logging in at different ends of the world within a few minutes. Problem is they wouldn't know which IP was the VPN, so they wouldn't know which one to block.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
They could always block access if they see the same Mac address logging in at different ends of the world within a few minutes. Problem is they wouldn't know which IP was the VPN, so they wouldn't know which one to block.
there's no way to deter someone who is really dedicated and determined
to bypass Netflix's geo-blocking.

(not to mention there are many people who buy _______ from Amazon
and just save the movies from Netflix... although it requires a lot of
multi-terabyte hard drives )
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:04 am
Suspended

I'm confused. I'm a Netflix customer and have used a Vpn on my iPad to watch while overseas. Not I get the warning that my vpn is blocked.

But what happens the next time I travel to say Budapest where Netflix is now offered? Will I be able to log on using my account without vpn?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by QtownDave
But what happens the next time I travel to say Budapest where Netflix is now offered? Will I be able to log on using my account without vpn?
Yes, you'll be able to log on, but the content will be different. Most of the big shows will be there, but there will be more Hungarian content.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes, you'll be able to log on, but the content will be different. Most of the big shows will be there, but there will be more Hungarian content.
Thanks. That's actually very good news for me. Looks like they recently added a lot of countries.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:08 am

Programs: too many
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I have now the same issue, between FR, UK and DE.

I reached out to netflix and here's the info:
1. There is something called the "EU portability" allowing people travelling within the EU to show their content from the country of residence for a little while (didn't precise for how long)
2. With Brexit, the UK is out of this
3. Anything downloaded should be available even when in another country
4. Watchlists are kept when travelling even if the content is unavailable (i.e.you'd be able to pick up on the show whenever you return to the country)

Sadly I won't be subscribing as I want to keep watching my UK shows while in France, and apart from using a VPN (which adds up to the cost and apparently is also blocked by Netflix), there's no solution for me.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by ng1265
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I have now the same issue, between FR, UK and DE.

I reached out to netflix and here's the info:
1. There is something called the "EU portability" allowing people travelling within the EU to show their content from the country of residence for a little while (didn't precise for how long)
2. With Brexit, the UK is out of this
3. Anything downloaded should be available even when in another country
4. Watchlists are kept when travelling even if the content is unavailable (i.e.you'd be able to pick up on the show whenever you return to the country)

Sadly I won't be subscribing as I want to keep watching my UK shows while in France, and apart from using a VPN (which adds up to the cost and apparently is also blocked by Netflix), there's no solution for me.
I've had good luck with ExpressVPN. Generally it seems Netflix is detecting based on known VPN IP addresses. Express VPN seems to have enough of these to where it isn't an issue. It has worked for me while I was in India, Germany, UK etc. The best part is, they have a client for Google Chromecase with Google TV + Amazon Firestick. I travel with a firestick that I just plug into hotel TVs... If I want to watch USA content while abroad, I just fire up the Express VPN app.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:12 am

Travel router

Originally Posted by LordHamster
I've had good luck with ExpressVPN. Generally it seems Netflix is detecting based on known VPN IP addresses. Express VPN seems to have enough of these to where it isn't an issue. It has worked for me while I was in India, Germany, UK etc. The best part is, they have a client for Google Chromecase with Google TV + Amazon Firestick. I travel with a firestick that I just plug into hotel TVs... If I want to watch USA content while abroad, I just fire up the Express VPN app.

Are you also using a travel router to get around the hotel browser sign in issues? If so, which one?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by bukzin
Are you also using a travel router to get around the hotel browser sign in issues? If so, which one?
I used to, but the Amazon Firestick has a built in web-browser. So when I connect to hotel wifi, I can put in my last name/room number directly on the firestick. A bit cumbersome typing in my name using the little directional arrows on the remote, but it is only once per stay so I'll live.

When I had a Pixel 4XL I also sometimes just used that phone's ability to "share" the wifi it was on instead if I was feeling lazy. Can't do that with my current iPhone unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.