Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Will Apple partner with Rolex to produce a high end Apple Watch ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Apple partner with Rolex to produce a high end Apple Watch ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Don't forget that Apple and Hermes already have a collaboration watch.
More like a collaboration strap. Regardless of the brand or price behind it, at the end of the day, the insides on these are all the same.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:22 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Peterpack
Whilst the Apple watch is cool, those who are used to wearing Rolexes and other high end watches won't want to downgrade their brand for the technology.
I disagree with both statements. Besides the few tech giants and start-up bubble riders, many Apple watch wearers cannot afford a Rolex because selling their grandparents' clothing on Etsy doesn't make them that much disposable income (also because Oregon has one of the highest state income tax rates).

People want to make their watches more expensive/exclusive, not less. i.e. no one encrusts a watch in styrofoam, people encrust watches in diamonds or other precious stones.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:59 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I disagree with both statements. Besides the few tech giants and start-up bubble riders, many Apple watch wearers cannot afford a Rolex because selling their grandparents' clothing on Etsy doesn't make them that much disposable income (also because Oregon has one of the highest state income tax rates).

People want to make their watches more expensive/exclusive, not less. i.e. no one encrusts a watch in styrofoam, people encrust watches in diamonds or other precious stones.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Other than brand equity, what, exactly does Rolex offer Apple in any such collaboration? It's not like there's any superior timekeeping technology that any $10 quartz movement can't match. And if all Apple is looking for is brand equity from a high end watch - there are certainly more exclusive choices, and more upscale choices, than Rolex.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Apple is already one of the world's most valuable brands. Why would they need Rolex?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If I was Rolex and Apple came calling, I'd politely hang up the phone. That whole decision making process takes me less than 10 seconds.

NO WAY IN HELL would I want my brand associated with hipsters, millennials, or two-year-cyclic technology.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Apple is already one of the world's most valuable brands. Why would they need Rolex?
Because being a valuable brand has zilch to do with how popular you are in the watch market. Regardless of your love for Apple, one has to admit that Rolex is a more valuable WATCH brand, especially in the upper end of the market.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boogie711

NO WAY IN HELL would I want my brand associated with hipsters, millennials, or two-year-cyclic technology.
THIS. A Rolex is a timepiece handed from from generation to generation.

In 3 years, even your kids won't want your outdated smartwatch.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:17 pm

I have to agree..

Rolex has been doing things their way for a long, long time. Exceptionally successfully. They certainly won't begin changing now.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScottC
Because being a valuable brand has zilch to do with how popular you are in the watch market. Regardless of your love for Apple, one has to admit that Rolex is a more valuable WATCH brand, especially in the upper end of the market.
But why Rolex? Why not Patek Phillippe? or Jaeger LeCoultre? or Vacheron Constantin?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
They have already done a partnership with Hermes, which might fit that niche rather than going to a hardcore tradition watch company like Rolex.

Hermes is popular among the deep-pocketed fashion crowd that has no qualms about spending a lot of money by FT standards for a limited-life fashion item.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:49 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
I ended up buying and then selling my Tag Connected Watch. It was cool but for what I paid for it - I just didn't like it.

I was #2 in the world to buy one actually, just happened to be in NYC for the release.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I hate to wind my Rolex, and actually like my Rado better...it does not scratch, and does not need winding..

Would I wear an Apple Watch, No..

My Rolex salesman likes Patek Phillippe, better..but it is not in his budget..
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I think Cartier would have been better choice than Hermes.
Apple should have put Tank watch face and diamond on Apple watch edition IMHO.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
For what it's worth, I have several Rolex watches, as well as IWC and a few others. As an engineer I appreciate the fine qualities that go into swiss watches and the engineering into the cases. All ride on an Orbita winder.

...and I have an Apple watch. I look at it as disposable but I'm wearing it right now, great for notifications and telling me what meeting I have next at a glance.

My wife constantly asks "how much longer are you going to wear that thing?" She's not a fan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.