Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Who here Travels with both a Laptop and a Tablet ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here Travels with both a Laptop and a Tablet ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:26 am

My Surface 3 runs Android Lollipop via AmiDUOS. While I prefer iOS, it gets the job done.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
MacBook Air 13"
Dell laptop - work
iPad mini 4
iPhone 6s Plus

I prefer all Apple gear for everything I do. Dell is only for work.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't travel too much for business, but when I do, I take with me...

* 14" work laptop (very heavy)
* Lenovo Yoga 13 (1st gen)
* Nexus 7 2013 tablet - rarely used, but nice to have just in case
* Smartphone (was Galaxy S4, now will be Galaxy S6)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:34 am

On any given trip I'll have some or all of the following:

iPhone 6 - Always travels with me as it's my every day phone with all my apps, contacts, etc on it.

15" MacBook Pro - Travels with me almost 100% of the time for keeping up with email, sorting and backing up travel photos, etc.

iPad Air- Pretty much always travels with me. My device of choice when lounging around.

10 inch Acer Switch 10 Windows 10 2-1 tablet - A recent addition to my travel bag. Its size is small enough that it'll fit on the tray tables of just about every plane including the E145s that fly out of our airport here. It does add about 2 pounds (1kg) to my bag and as much as I love my iPad it's easier and more convenient to load content onto the Acer. The only down side to it is it only gets about 6 hours battery life so for longer flights I need to be able to charge it somewhere or switch to the iPad. I've found for a quick trip it can pretty much take the place of the MBP and iPad.

iPhone 5 - Only used on international trips since it's unlocked.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My Surface 3 runs Android Lollipop via AmiDUOS. While I prefer iOS, it gets the job done.
Interesting approach. But I've had enough bad experiences (MacBook Pro running Windows 7 via Boot Camp and Parallels) with non-native OSes to not want to go that route. Windows 10 just doesn't have enough good apps for me to want a tablet based on it.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Member

I travel with my Thinkpad only when I know I am going to have to do a lot of work on it these days. Recent trip to California I knew I would have to revise 2 long briefs, so I brought it.

Otherwise, I bring my Kindle Fire HDX for books, movies/shows, and surfing internet. Personal and work email accessible through it also.

iPhone 6 for work email and other apps. Don't like to do heavy internet usage on it because typing is pain in the butt with small keys.

Overseas vacations, phone is off most of the time. rely on communications via email primarily while on long vacations over the pond.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Glad to know I'm not the only one carrying a ton of electronics on trips:

HP Folio Ultrabook - Work PC
Macbook Air 11" - Personal PC
iPad Mini 4 - Mainly for movies/spotify/reading news
iPhone 6s Plus - Good to have unlimited VZW data still
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:43 am

I used to carry tablet around but find no use with lighter laptop. Use laptop for movies/work and phones for reservation/pictures/directions
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Windows 10 just doesn't have enough good apps for me to want a tablet based on it.
This is my issue as well. I love my Surface Pro 4 as a laptop because because:

- 50% of my time is spent sitting at my desk, where I have the SP4 connected to a Surface Dock which is in turn connected to dual 27" displays, keyboard, mouse, and Jabra 9470 headset for Skype

- The other 50% of my time is mixed between traveling, working from coffee shops, and customer sites where I'm usually either taking notes or presenting. And when I'm presenting it's not uncommon for me to fire up OneNote in full screen mode and draw architectural diagrams in front of my audience

So the SP4 is great for me because it's basically a desktop replacement while docked, and a great lightweight thin laptop that I can get work done on, as well as a tablet that I use while lounging around, watching movies on a plane, etc.

But I do still at times carry an iPad specifically due to a handful of apps that there aren't direct replacements for in the Windows store.

Ironically, one of the apps I struggle with is Lightroom. I say "ironically" here because even though I have full Lightroom on my SP4, I actually want the mobile version due to its syncing capabilities. My master Lightroom catalog is on my MacBook Pro which I don't usually travel with on business trips and I sync this catalog with my iPad. But unfortunately there's no easy way to sync / share between 2 full Lightroom catalogs. I really hope Adobe addresses this.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:28 am

On work trips, my loadout consists of an SP3, a Nexus 9, and an iPhone 6; otherwise, it's just the Nexus 9 with the keyboard folio and iPhone 6. Chrome Remote Desktop is good enough for remoting into the SP3 or other machines for anything the Nexus 9 can't handle or access directly.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I assume your comment regarding battery life is with the base attached? I read online that the battery life with just using the tablet is poor?

I'm glad that you found it as an awesome machine! The two main things putting me off with said device is the screen wobbliness and the lack of a trackpoint.

I have to wean myself off of Lenovo one day
I barely ever use it as a tablet for any extended period of time. I take it off when I'm doing things like Onenote.

I don't find the screen to wobble that much, though I don't like that I can't fold it back a little more.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
I barely ever use it as a tablet for any extended period of time. I take it off when I'm doing things like Onenote.

I don't find the screen to wobble that much, though I don't like that I can't fold it back a little more.
Yeah, if it would go back more, the unit would tip over. The fulcrum hinge was designed the way it was because it's top heavy. (it shifts the center of gravity of the unit)

I should have been more specific when I was referring to the wobbling, my bad. The issue is that if I'm using it in desktop mode, and I use my fingers to click the Start button as an example, the screen just wobbles back and forth.

I'm used to the TrackPoint on my ThinkPad, so replacing that would mean using Touch instead, which with the wobbly screen, sorta kills that experience.

If there was less of a wobble, I'd be all over that machine like a twelve year old and candy.

Maybe when Surface Book 3 comes out
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:31 pm

I only travel for pleasure.
iPhone 6S and iPad. Just listen to music on flights.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:13 am

Toughbook with DVD player , ASUS 7inch Fonepad and old Motorola dumbphone for my pocket ,

Toughbook stays in room , Dumb phone always in pocket except when I drop it
Fonepad has Simcard so can use walking around or use as Hotspot for Toughbook....
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Dell laptop (a brick) issued by work
Samsung 8" tablet (my own)
iPhone (issued by work)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.