Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

1 TB SSD Recommendation

1 TB SSD Recommendation

Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

1 TB SSD Recommendation

Like everyone else I'm looking for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday special. What would you recommend for a 1 TB internal SSD for a laptop? (The 512GB OEM inside is from Toshiba but I don't see them anywhere.)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
OCZ - I have two 512gb SSD's in my machine that i'm typing on now. Rock solid. Would definitely buy a 1TB SSD from them
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
OCZ - I have two 512gb SSD's in my machine that i'm typing on now. Rock solid. Would definitely buy a 1TB SSD from them
Thanks. Any particular model?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Aileron
Thanks. Any particular model?
Sorry, I have to revise my post. It's been a very long day and I made an error, sorry. I should have said Crucial products, not OCZ.. I have the CT512MX and the CT512M4.

both are rock solid.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
http://slickdeals.net/f/8285605-sand...-more-free-s-h

you can ultimately get the 960GB one for around $150 on newegg if you do it right (but you also have to buy another $25 item). that involves putting an extra $25 item into your cart (so total is above $225), checking out with visa checkout ($25 off for spending $200) and using an amex card with a targeted $25 off $200 purchase. so you'll spend just over $175 for the SSD + $25 item. hopefully you have an amex card with the targeted newegg offer.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by odin99
http://slickdeals.net/f/8285605-sand...-more-free-s-h

you can ultimately get the 960GB one for around $150 on newegg if you do it right (but you also have to buy another $25 item). that involves putting an extra $25 item into your cart (so total is above $225), checking out with visa checkout ($25 off for spending $200) and using an amex card with a targeted $25 off $200 purchase. so you'll spend just over $175 for the SSD + $25 item. hopefully you have an amex card with the targeted newegg offer.
Last I checked (about 2h ago) Newegg was sold out.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This box is running on one of the new 1tb Crucial BX type drives. The BIOS takes about as long as the boot process.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This box is running on one of the new 1tb Crucial BX type drives. The BIOS takes about as long as the boot process.
Time for UEFI?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I have to revise my post. It's been a very long day and I made an error, sorry. I should have said Crucial products, not OCZ.. I have the CT512MX and the CT512M4.

both are rock solid.
Is there something wrong with OCZ? My friend says OCZ is Toshiba's retail brand.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What does this mean, please?

Time for UEFI?
UEFI?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Is there something wrong with OCZ? My friend says OCZ is Toshiba's retail brand.
Hi,

I work for a IT service provider in the UK. OCZ are very unreliable compared to other SSD's. In fact the OCZ drives have a higher failure rate than the traditional HDD's. Would not recommend!

Both Crucial and Intel SSD's are very good.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Hi,

I work for a IT service provider in the UK. OCZ are very unreliable compared to other SSD's. In fact the OCZ drives have a higher failure rate than the traditional HDD's. Would not recommend!

Both Crucial and Intel SSD's are very good.
How about SanDisk, then?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
How about SanDisk, then?
I can't comment im afraid, I haven't had any experience with them.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:01 pm
Suspended

UEFI?
Unified extensible firmware interface. Bios 2.0? (that's my definition of it )
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW I had an OCZ Vertex in my laptop for the few years I had the laptop. No trouble with it.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Toshiba owns OCZ, but as of last I checked, OCZ still sells drives with multiple types of controllers (vs. Toshiba, who uses their own in their own-branded OEM drives.)

Originally Posted by FN-GM
I have not heard about problems with them in the last couple of years; it was certainly the common wisdom about them back when they were using Sandforce controllers on the Vertex series and with the first generation of the drives after they bought Indilinx.

How about SanDisk, then?
SanDisk has quite a number of different lines of drives; the Ultra II and Extreme Pro both use modern Marvell controllers and their own (joint venture with Toshiba) flash. I haven't used them, but anecdotally they're quite good, and the Crucial drives using the same controllers (but different firmware, and Micron flash) are my usual preference these days.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
FWIW I had an OCZ Vertex in my laptop for the few years I had the laptop. No trouble with it.
I've had several Vertex 2 drives and one Vertex 3, and never had any problems with either, but when my employer was buying both in bulk, we had a slightly higher than average failure rate in server use.

The early production of (and early firmware for) the Sandforce SF-1200 series of controllers were really problematic; really, really fast for their time when they worked (and assuming you weren't using them to store highly-compressed media files) ... but very problematic. They were in a VAST range of different brands' SSDs, and every one of them had problems back then, although most of those were fixed in later firmware.

--

For general use, any SSD from any reputable brand is going to be fine. For the impatient, going with something beyond a bottom-of-the-line value drive MAY be worth it -- although I'm generally among the impatient and am doing fine with two last generation drives -- one value drive (Samsung 840 EVO), and one drive predating Crucial splitting their line but which wasn't a great benchmarking drive even at the time (M500).

For the truly impatient, these things change very rapidly, and I recommend reading Anandtech if you have only got time to read one review site.
http://www.anandtech.com/tag/ssd
or http://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds for recent recommendations.

(Pure vanity, although this may help my bona fides.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.